Official fitness discussion!

Mk 17

12 minutes ago, inf` said:

I'll have to come knocking at your door then. And besides, you're probs more in my weight and heightclass than our walking rectangle MK

I'm here for ya.

2 hours ago, inf` said:

no home quipment?

This.  There are plenty of things you can do at home, do you have anything?  We can give suggestions/recommendations.  What do you have access to?

You can do a ton if you just get some equipment @Chris

My home setup has which is fairly easily achievable has;

- Bench (adjustable)

- Curl bar

- Dumbbells

- Hometrainer for cardio

- Olympic bar

- Plates

Sure, it won't cover every base but it'll set you up decent enough. Personally I'll add a bunch more things down the line so if @Xero has any suggestions, throw 'em in.

16 hours ago, inf` said:

You can do a ton if you just get some equipment @Chris

My home setup has which is fairly easily achievable has;

- Bench (adjustable)

- Curl bar

- Dumbbells

- Hometrainer for cardio

- Olympic bar

- Plates

Sure, it won't cover every base but it'll set you up decent enough. Personally I'll add a bunch more things down the line so if @Xero has any suggestions, throw 'em in.

I'll echo the items in inf's list.  The only things I'd touch on first is that you can either buy dumbbells or get a set of adjustable dumbbells for more range and options starting out.  You can hit every muscle group between the above items and bodyweight movements.  Sure, there are things you can target better or hit a little harder with specialized equipment in the gym, but you can definitely stay active with just this.  And depending on where you live, you may not even need cardio equipment.  You can always run outside, bike, swim or run stairs in your house repeatedly.  

Based on what gear you have, we can recommend specific exercises, so just let us know!  

Edited by Xero

11 minutes ago, Mk 17 said:

How much do you recon that cost? If i had somewhere to make it id love to do it, probably a dream of mine... maybe in my 30s

Tbf my current setup did cost around 2k give or take a bit. Plates are expensive as fuck

Looking to lose weight and build up strength. Currently doing Couch to 5k on my treadmill for the cardio side of things. What weight of dumbbells do you guys recommend for a beginner? 5 lbs feel kinda light to me but maybe I need to do those for a certain amount of time before upgrading? Could also use kettlebell. Also does anyone have an app or something they can recommend that can go over the actual movements, how many reps to do, etc.  =X 

kGyYIJR.png

PFOMOZs.png

Brian.. or Brianna?! | The artist formerly known as Pequ 
The Gladiatorz [2004-06] | Eternal Honour [2006-08]RSC CD Mod [2006-08]

3 hours ago, Krystal said:

Looking to lose weight and build up strength. Currently doing Couch to 5k on my treadmill for the cardio side of things. What weight of dumbbells do you guys recommend for a beginner? 5 lbs feel kinda light to me but maybe I need to do those for a certain amount of time before upgrading? Could also use kettlebell. Also does anyone have an app or something they can recommend that can go over the actual movements, how many reps to do, etc.  =X 

That's kinda a tough question to answer. You can do a wide variety of exercises with lighter or heavier dumbbells. Kettlebell can be used for 'swing' mostly but any other dumbbell will suffice.

You could buy 10lbs dumb bells and see how you can manage 1 hand exercises or even exercises that can be done with both. You can slowly work your way up if you feel it's too light (let's say 12 reps feels easy then get a heavier one to do 8 reps).

Now finding any form of training schedule can be a bit tricky as there are a lot out there. I would just recommend to google which muscle group you want to train + dumbbell exercises and start from there. For optimal results people generally choose one muscle or two muscle groups a day.

Example: 

Back/biceps

Chest

Legs

Shoulder/triceps

Fullbody or compound exercises if you are short on time or just want to hit multiple area's at once.

There are a great amount of youtubers that go indepth with explaining things. One I would recommend that is very beginnerfriendly is https://www.youtube.com/user/Howcast 

Edit: There are a lot more youtubers out there with guides such as Athlean-x/Buff dudes etc. Athlean-x has fairly long videos with extensive talk about proper form

Edited by inf`
  • Like 1

Gym equipment was impossible to get in the UK and super inflated during lockdown.

Not sure if it's back to normal now.

Restistance bands, a door frame pullup bar, 8kg kettlebell and 24kg kettlebell was what I worked off when gyms were closed. Using 2 kitchen chairs for dips too lol

iVGGSfS.png

BKiub6H.png

Corruption Best Official - 2011

Corruption Best Caller - 2011

Ex Corruption Leader & Dark Ascension Council

1 hour ago, inf` said:

That's kinda a tough question to answer. You can do a wide variety of exercises with lighter or heavier dumbbells. Kettlebell can be used for 'swing' mostly but any other dumbbell will suffice.

You could buy 10lbs dumb bells and see how you can manage 1 hand exercises or even exercises that can be done with both. You can slowly work your way up if you feel it's too light (let's say 12 reps feels easy then get a heavier one to do 8 reps).

Now finding any form of training schedule can be a bit tricky as there are a lot out there. I would just recommend to google which muscle group you want to train + dumbbell exercises and start from there. For optimal results people generally choose one muscle or two muscle groups a day.

Example: 

Back/biceps

Chest

Legs

Shoulder/triceps

Fullbody or compound exercises if you are short on time or just want to hit multiple area's at once.

There are a great amount of youtubers that go indepth with explaining things. One I would recommend that is very beginnerfriendly is https://www.youtube.com/user/Howcast 

Edit: There are a lot more youtubers out there with guides such as Athlean-x/Buff dudes etc. Athlean-x has fairly long videos with extensive talk about proper form

Yeah, sorry that I couldn't be super specific. I don't know what the hell I'm doing or where to begin, so I apologize for being so vague.  You helped loads just by saying that I should focus on different groups each day. I didn't know that was a real thing. I thought the whole "Don't skip leg day!" stuff was just memes or w/e. *facepalm* That's how bad I am.  I just want to improve muscle tone all over my body so that I am able to do more heavy lifting (like I feel terrible when my husband has to get a friend to help him with heavy duty things since I'm too weak), do outdoor activities, and be more effective with weight loss. (I've heard that increasing muscle mass helps burn fat?).  Will definitely check out those videos! Thanks so much. ? Hopefully there's vids there for doing squats. I remember trying to do them a long time ago and it scared the hell out of me because I felt like I would mess up and hurt my back. =X

33 minutes ago, JayJay said:

Gym equipment was impossible to get in the UK and super inflated during lockdown.

Not sure if it's back to normal now.

Restistance bands, a door frame pullup bar, 8kg kettlebell and 24kg kettlebell was what I worked off when gyms were closed. Using 2 kitchen chairs for dips too lol

Gym equipment's still expensive, at least by my standards. I dropped a little over $1k for our treadmill a couple months ago, and it doesn't have THE fanciest stuff on it.  We got more bang for our buck by getting a simpler treadmill and buying a 32" TV to mount in front of it rather than buying one with a built-in screen. Pretty stoked about our little home gym that we put together. Now I just gotta use it! Lol.  I pushed for the treadmill because we live in an area that has several months of snow/ice, and there's no way in hell I'm running in that with how clumsy I am. I will easily hit a patch of black ice and fall face flat and break every bone in my body. Hell no to that.  Plus treadmill running is easier on the knees vs running in the street; we made sure to get one that has great shock absorption for that reason. We also installed a very nice quality pullup bar over the door.  When we were installing it, I held up each piece which were like 40 lbs each, not even kidding, and my poor weak arms were sore for days because my husband was struggling to get it secured lol. Our stud finder was being a dumbass and long story short, there's lots of holes hidden behind the frame lmao.  Only my husband uses it; I can't lift my fat ass up on that. So if anyone has tips on making use of a pull up bar when you're totally weaksauce, I'm all ears. 

Edited by Krystal

kGyYIJR.png

PFOMOZs.png

Brian.. or Brianna?! | The artist formerly known as Pequ 
The Gladiatorz [2004-06] | Eternal Honour [2006-08]RSC CD Mod [2006-08]

9 hours ago, Krystal said:

Yeah, sorry that I couldn't be super specific. I don't know what the hell I'm doing or where to begin, so I apologize for being so vague.  You helped loads just by saying that I should focus on different groups each day. I didn't know that was a real thing. I thought the whole "Don't skip leg day!" stuff was just memes or w/e. *facepalm* That's how bad I am.  I just want to improve muscle tone all over my body so that I am able to do more heavy lifting (like I feel terrible when my husband has to get a friend to help him with heavy duty things since I'm too weak), do outdoor activities, and be more effective with weight loss. (I've heard that increasing muscle mass helps burn fat?).  Will definitely check out those videos! Thanks so much. ? Hopefully there's vids there for doing squats. I remember trying to do them a long time ago and it scared the hell out of me because I felt like I would mess up and hurt my back. =X

Gym equipment's still expensive, at least by my standards. I dropped a little over $1k for our treadmill a couple months ago, and it doesn't have THE fanciest stuff on it.  We got more bang for our buck by getting a simpler treadmill and buying a 32" TV to mount in front of it rather than buying one with a built-in screen. Pretty stoked about our little home gym that we put together. Now I just gotta use it! Lol.  I pushed for the treadmill because we live in an area that has several months of snow/ice, and there's no way in hell I'm running in that with how clumsy I am. I will easily hit a patch of black ice and fall face flat and break every bone in my body. Hell no to that.  Plus treadmill running is easier on the knees vs running in the street; we made sure to get one that has great shock absorption for that reason. We also installed a very nice quality pullup bar over the door.  When we were installing it, I held up each piece which were like 40 lbs each, not even kidding, and my poor weak arms were sore for days because my husband was struggling to get it secured lol. Our stud finder was being a dumbass and long story short, there's lots of holes hidden behind the frame lmao.  Only my husband uses it; I can't lift my fat ass up on that. So if anyone has tips on making use of a pull up bar when you're totally weaksauce, I'm all ears. 

The thing is everything went like 3x the price. The kettlebells I paid £25 for were going on selling sites for 70+

Only way I've ever been able to do/get more pullups is by doing things like dead hangs and continuously trying to do pullups. Once you've got 1 then aim for 2 etc 

I think there's a couple of guides on youtube on how to get to doing your first pullup

iVGGSfS.png

BKiub6H.png

Corruption Best Official - 2011

Corruption Best Caller - 2011

Ex Corruption Leader & Dark Ascension Council