We like Formula1 Megathread

Juri

When the fuck will Hamilton be stopped?

oha1HPn.png

5nPWTc4.png

image.png.98e814b7804dc8ab9c1af32bc23ac648.png

Grand Miracle Wizard of the Far-Right Sea Templar's Party | Bringing racism back into RS clanning since 2023.

l4u0tPk.png

spacer.png

RSN: Knight Frank

Leader of REIGN community since 2004 - Undisputably the best gaming community in history.

An absolute shitload of rank ones/top10 rankings in multiple games. Now too busy.

https://www.twitch.tv/Toffee_Latte

7 hours ago, Vanuckle said:

Wtf happened with Bottas pitstop lol? Didn't watch the race. Wheel just wouldn't come off?

I don't know if newer information is available as to the exact cause but from what I could tell, they had problems with the wheelnut. Unsure whether it was a human error (misplacement of the wheelgun) or a technical malfunction. Either way, after a few attempts at taking the wheelnut off, it was pretty much destroyed which caused him to DNF.

His race was effectively lost after taking 10-15s longer than normal though. It's Monaco so overtaking on the track was never going to happen (I think there was one or two overtakes on track the entire race?). The most he could hope for was a timely safety car or something. It's regrettable and agonizing for him, but I won't deny that it helped RBR/Max out a lot.

On 5/20/2021 at 10:22 AM, idle1 said:

no way Mazepin finishes the race in Monaco...

u wrong :hehehe:

36 minutes ago, Majin said:

I don't know if newer information is available as to the exact cause but from what I could tell, they had problems with the wheelnut. Unsure whether it was a human error (misplacement of the wheelgun) or a technical malfunction. Either way, after a few attempts at taking the wheelnut off, it was pretty much destroyed which caused him to DNF.

His race was effectively lost after taking 10-15s longer than normal though. It's Monaco so overtaking on the track was never going to happen (I think there was one or two overtakes on track the entire race?). The most he could hope for was a timely safety car or something. It's regrettable and agonizing for him, but I won't deny that it helped RBR/Max out a lot.

Gotcha ye looks like the pit crew stripped it on some of the video's I've seen.

• Haha 1

Trevor#1700 | @Vanuckle

xD1G9fN.png

9AtJ6Ju.png

fPBTJ1M.png

m1RdWMG.png

sZLnSGx.png

spacer.png

xLYsTpv.png

DStPJf3.jpg

303CDqC.png

4TppgnA.png

6Dfcn17.png

h0cvjf1.png

I think it's time for Monaco to go. I understand it's a prestigious race (beautiful location, history, etc) but there's really nothing going on. Yesterday's race had maybe two exciting moments and that had nothing to do with the actual track at all. There are much better circuits out there, and I don't feel like history/prestige is enough to keep Monaco on the calendar. No chance it's coming off though, since sponsors/corporate like this event too much.

--

As for the actual race, I think RBR maximized their results. Perez had a good showing, but I'm really worried about him. I think today was more circumstancial than anything else (Leclerc / Bottas retirements, Hamilton/Mercedes messing up their strategy). He needs to do better and qualify in the top 3 / top 4 at all times. Hopefully as the season continues, he'll familiarize himself more and is able to do better. I don't think Max will win the driver's championship without more help from Perez. It's extremely important that on tracks where RBR is better, that both red bulls finish in front of Hamilton to take points away.

Mercedes had a poor showing. Surprised by Bottas' pace this weekend in comparison to Hamilton. Hamilton had a really off-weekend and didnt look particularly good at all. Nothing much he could do about the strategy Mercedes put him on for the race. The Gasly undercut could've worked (not sure why it didn't tbh) but it was too big of a risk with Vettel / Perez being able to go on for longer in clear air. Then again, the race could've been different if the undercut v Gasly worked as that would've likely meant that it was Vettel and Hamilton being side-by-side at turn 1/2.

I feel bad for Leclerc. I know hindsight is 20/20 but Ferrari really fucked up by not switching the gearbox out. I'm unsure how they came to the conclusion that everything was fine with the gearbox/car and then this happened before the race. I think a lot of question marks have to be placed there. Leclerc had a very decent chance at winning the grand prix since track position is king here.

Glad for Norris that he got a podium. Sainz too.

Ricciardo / Tsunoda very poor showing. Ricciardo hasn't found his groove yet and he seems a bit distraught and unsure why he's not able to match Norris. Tsunoda's pre-season hype seems a bit premature at this point. He's just not up to speed compared to his teammate.

Surprised Mazepin had a relatively problem free weekend lol.

Onto the next one!

4 minutes ago, Majin said:

I think it's time for Monaco to go. I understand it's a prestigious race (beautiful location, history, etc) but there's really nothing going on. Yesterday's race had maybe two exciting moments and that had nothing to do with the actual track at all. There are much better circuits out there, and I don't feel like history/prestige is enough to keep Monaco on the calendar. No chance it's coming off though, since sponsors/corporate like this event too much.

--

As for the actual race, I think RBR maximized their results. Perez had a good showing, but I'm really worried about him. I think today was more circumstancial than anything else (Leclerc / Bottas retirements, Hamilton/Mercedes messing up their strategy). He needs to do better and qualify in the top 3 / top 4 at all times. Hopefully as the season continues, he'll familiarize himself more and is able to do better. I don't think Max will win the driver's championship without more help from Perez. It's extremely important that on tracks where RBR is better, that both red bulls finish in front of Hamilton to take points away.

Mercedes had a poor showing. Surprised by Bottas' pace this weekend in comparison to Hamilton. Hamilton had a really off-weekend and didnt look particularly good at all. Nothing much he could do about the strategy Mercedes put him on for the race. The Gasly undercut could've worked (not sure why it didn't tbh) but it was too big of a risk with Vettel / Perez being able to go on for longer in clear air. Then again, the race could've been different if the undercut v Gasly worked as that would've likely meant that it was Vettel and Hamilton being side-by-side at turn 1/2.

I feel bad for Leclerc. I know hindsight is 20/20 but Ferrari really fucked up by not switching the gearbox out. I'm unsure how they came to the conclusion that everything was fine with the gearbox/car and then this happened before the race. I think a lot of question marks have to be placed there. Leclerc had a very decent chance at winning the grand prix since track position is king here.

Glad for Norris that he got a podium. Sainz too.

Ricciardo / Tsunoda very poor showing. Ricciardo hasn't found his groove yet and he seems a bit distraught and unsure why he's not able to match Norris. Tsunoda's pre-season hype seems a bit premature at this point. He's just not up to speed compared to his teammate.

Surprised Mazepin had a relatively problem free weekend lol.

Onto the next one!

Yeah Sochi and Monaco it's hardly even worth watching, think I was on my phone more than watching the TV as the only action was at a pitstop. As you said it'll never go, and the drivers seem to like it, but it's hardly a race I'll plan to watch unless I'm home. 

To be fair to Perez I'm not sure he can do a lot more, he's a clear second driver. Ricciardo, Gastly, Albon, Kvyat have all alluded to being provided different equipment/support than Max, even if they haven't said it so clear cut, and there's probably no smoke without fire. I'm not technical enough to know what that exactly means, but you can't expect any second driver to be doing a consistent job supporting the first driver if you don't provide them with the tools. Whilst Mercedes won't clearly say Valtteri is a second driver, they at least provide him with the right equipment/support to aid Lewis. 

Good season so far, I hope Redbull's illegal rear wing won't cause too big a time deficit when they're forced to change it. I don't believe Mercedes claim it provides between -0.3 to -0.6s per lap (depending circuit), but I just hope the two teams will still be very even and competitive.  If it really is -0.6 then the season will quickly turn to a snooze...  Besides, on a circuit like Monaco it won't be close to that much, and Mercedes looked way off so it's not so clear cut. I know there's rules, but as a fan you just want to see a competitive season again. 

Glad Seb had some luck, about time some cards landed in his favour.  Ferrari is just a shambles, it's quite amazing how a team so big and with so much resource constantly make so many mistakes. Changing leadership hasn't done much, so the problem is far bigger. 

image.png.0358268c7f5f2f230c3d2a47af7fa054.png

image.png.c6714542ccdd1aa2374d70c8c1c3b1af.png

14 minutes ago, Josh said:

Yeah Sochi and Monaco it's hardly even worth watching, think I was on my phone more than watching the TV as the only action was at a pitstop. As you said it'll never go, and the drivers seem to like it, but it's hardly a race I'll plan to watch unless I'm home. 

To be fair to Perez I'm not sure he can do a lot more, he's a clear second driver. Ricciardo, Gastly, Albon, Kvyat have all alluded to being provided different equipment/support than Max, even if they haven't said it so clear cut, and there's probably no smoke without fire. I'm not technical enough to know what that exactly means, but you can't expect any second driver to be doing a consistent job supporting the first driver if you don't provide them with the tools. Whilst Mercedes won't clearly say Valtteri is a second driver, they at least provide him with the right equipment/support to aid Lewis. 

Good season so far, I hope Redbull's illegal rear wing won't cause too big a time deficit when they're forced to change it. I don't believe Mercedes claim it provides between -0.3 to -0.6s per lap (depending circuit), but I just hope the two teams will still be very even and competitive.  If it really is -0.6 then the season will quickly turn to a snooze...  Besides, on a circuit like Monaco it won't be close to that much, and Mercedes looked way off so it's not so clear cut. I know there's rules, but as a fan you just want to see a competitive season again. 

Glad Seb had some luck, about time some cards landed in his favour.  Ferrari is just a shambles, it's quite amazing how a team so big and with so much resource constantly make so many mistakes. Changing leadership hasn't done much, so the problem is far bigger. 

There's definitely a few tracks on the calendar that are less exciting than others. I think as a whole, F1 could do with less "street races". They should just have 2-3 slots a year set aside for street races and alternate between them year after year. They won't do it though. There's too much $ to be made in these market.

I get what you're saying and that's been something that's been ongoing for pretty much forever in the top teams. But is that really all there is to it? Does the inferior equipment really cause Perez to be behind the Ferrari's/McLaren's consistently (at least in qualifying)?

I'm worried about the illegal rear wing issue. Sounds like a few teams will need to make adjustments in the next couple of weeks. If - like you said - RBR's performance goes down by 0.3 to 0.6s, then that should be GG barring any extreme circumstances taking place. We'll see what happens. Hopefully the races will remain competitive.

9 hours ago, Majin said:

--

Point 1 - I actually kind of like Monaco cus it allows smaller teams to have a chance... So few opportunities to overtake (especially with wider cars) that if you quality well, puts you in a position to score big points. We saw that this weekend with a variety of teams scoring points (even Gio got one lol).

Point 2 - I think the evidence is more that the Red Bull car is really really challenging to drive. Max likes it a certain way (very complex) which speaks to his driver ability, but these others that come in (Gasly, Albon, Perez) I think really struggle to understand it and get the most out of it. I think he'll adapt over time, really rate Perez highly.

Trevor#1700 | @Vanuckle

xD1G9fN.png

9AtJ6Ju.png

fPBTJ1M.png

m1RdWMG.png

sZLnSGx.png

spacer.png

xLYsTpv.png

DStPJf3.jpg

303CDqC.png

4TppgnA.png

6Dfcn17.png