Trevor's Artist of the Week -- Lime Cordiale

Vanuckle

2F5GNP0.png

With Spring approaching, and more time being spent outside / driving on road trips / listening to music, I am presenting my Artist of the Week topic. This is aimed at presenting new music you may or may not have heard of, giving some history, sharing my favourite songs, and hopefully opening some new music tastes for those who are looking for something different to listen to!

Each week I will update the main (OP) post with the current featured Artist. I will also post the new feature in the latest reply of the topic, and link the reply in the second post of the topic. This will help in archiving the Artist of the Weeks as we move through Spring and Summer.

Feel free to join in the discussion of what you like / hate about the featured band or artist. It's always fun to see what others have to say.

Enjoy Trevor's Artist of the Week!

e28TEop.png

April 1 2022: Lime Cordiale

2e00a32c8d12614600e1ed8a0940219d.jpg

Truthfully, I don't think I'll ever forget the first time I accidentally stumbled upon a Lime Cordiale song. I was in the midst of a nine hour drive home, and I had let my playlist continue past it's final chosen song and into music Spotify thought I might like. I do this semi-frequently, but rarely enjoy most of the curated songs that come on.

First listen -- Not That Easy:

But for some reason, I loved this track the second it started. It could have been the mellow guitar licks and simplistic but catchy drum rudiments. Or the way the chorus picked up so well off the hook. Maybe it was the wild shouting in the background vocals near the end of the song. It's hard to put my finger on it, but it immediately put me in a better mood and woke me up on that dreary drive through Seattle.

Watching the music video confirmed what my mind's eye had told me this band could be. Goofy, adventurous aussie lads with a very distinct fashion and style. I bought in. I started watching all of their cheesy, relaxed vlogs that you could tell they were uploading for friends, family, and themselves as memories as they were grinding out small tours across Australia. I kid you not, most of these videos had 2-3k views. But they were hilarious.

Other early songs I enjoyed from them at this time:

Spider Legs

Hanging Upside Down

Other Ties

e28TEop.png

Finding Their Stride -- Temper Temper

Although they were formed and toured from 2009-2016, it was really in 2017 that I believe they hit full stride, releasing their debut album "Permanent Vacation". Primarily a duo of brothers, Oli Leimbach and Louis Leimbach, this is still my favourite album to date. Louis' vocal's flow effortlessly in remarkably distinctive style over tracks in a way that's hard to compare. His unique aussie accent is paired with a goofy twang that often makes the lyrics difficult to initially decipher, and even after you look them up -- they don't always make a lot of sense. But that's part of the appeal.

Temper Temper was the first song that I heard on release, and it was here that I realized that the brothers were about to blow up in - at the very least - regional popularity. 

Self Depreciating Humour -- Naturally

While they give of larger than life personalities, a lot of their music videos are based around down-to-earth, self-depreciating humour. "Naturally" is a perfect example of this, showcasing muted pastel colours in a video that made me laugh and appreciate Lime Cordiale as just a couple of lads who like to have fun, and don't take themselves too seriously.

Other favourites from Permanent Vacation:

Up In The Air

Underground

Risky Love

e28TEop.png

2895965d79e84d6fec7b7347ebb0d292.jpg

It's All About That -- Money

Lime Cordiale released their second album, "14 Steps to a Better You", featuring... you guessed it... Fourteen new tracks, produced more great tunes, like Money. In my opinion, their most mature and fleshed out lyrical song to date. The album was pitched as a 'parody of a self-help book', filled with their own commentary on life. "Money", with the accompanying video, highlights an older couple who never reached that pot of gold, just two kids that they argue about.

I'll put my money on
You're just searching for his money.
Couldn't care what type of week he's had,
Or if he's stuck like honey.

Make a lifetime full of small talk,
Pretending he's so funny.
You just put that big old smile on -
A lapdog to that dummy.

The music video features the brother duo acting as the happy-go-lucky property cleaners, and the older couple who live in the big house and fight over money. Louis cross-dressing as the older lady is a personal highlight.

Shot on Location Across the World -- Robbery

Also featured in 14 Steps to a Better You is the track "Robbery", the tale of Louis searching around the globe for the girl who left a lipstick kiss on his cheek. What's interesting about this particular video is they actually shot it around the world as they toured globally for the first time, only putting the video together in post production following the tour.

Other favourites from 14 Steps to a Better You:

Inappropriate Behaviour

On Our Own

Dirt Cheap

88e5118f2db5dd44225e814ae732f7f6.jpg

e28TEop.png

Change of Pace -- Reality Check Please

In recent years, there has been creative changes with Lime Cordiale, as Oli has started doing some vocal leads, such as in "Reality Check Please". Additionally, they have incorporated Idris Elba in their recent mini-album named "Cordi Elba". While this creates a stark dissonance from Louis' recognizable voice, there's nothing wrong with their more laid-back energy in these more recent tracks. I've enjoyed these tracks while in particular moods, and while not my favourite, I still think that Lime Cordiale bring it when I am looking for a band to bring me to a sunny disposition.

c3e5d88389f4696dcac93fa5ad3080d8.jpg

From their iconic look (perhaps showing where my moustache inspiration originated) to their charismatic and innovative take on the Aussie indie rock scene, Lime Cordiale have grown in maturity, sound, and popularity in the last half of the 2010s and into the early 2020s, while still coming across as genuine, funny, and appreciative of their fan base.

Here's to hoping they keep the energy for their next album, whenever that may come!

e28TEop.png

• Like 1

xD1G9fN.png

h0cvjf1.png

fPBTJ1M.png

m1RdWMG.png

sZLnSGx.png

xLYsTpv.png

DStPJf3.jpg

303CDqC.png

4TppgnA.png

6Dfcn17.png

9AtJ6Ju.png

Robbery was the best for me, the lil sax in the background makes you feel it's summer and shiny. 

In general it's not really my type. As I usually shutdown my third language skills as I listen to new songs I pay attention solely to the vocals/beat — since I like music for its ability to erase the moment and take my mind somewhere else. 

For that this band didn't hit the spot right away — most the tracks felt a bit monotonous, didn't really raise my vibe despite having some meaningful lyrics. Perhaps I'm in the wrong for not enjoying art in its pure form 🤠

7jmTOjL.png     

Quality post by OP, in fact i'm googling where to buy light cordiales merch from as we speak.

• Haha 1

mEPuMsY.png

Ex-Envy Leader / Ex-Genesis Council / Ex-Divine Forces App Reviewer / Tempest Legend /

zZfIru6.png

6krZGIU.png

85290cf848e59ffd1951d69798177cb9.png

Little too ''calm'' for me.. But it wasn't bad at all, nice read.

bbe0171816dd2e2703a5c7e35ae3ccad.png

6BkaIin.png
VnG Pur3 / Pur3 str0ng2 / I work high
= Vanguard Retired Leader, Tempest OldSchool =
= Ex Kissing the Shadows Council / Darkness Awaits CouncilCrimson Raiders Moderator - The Rising Elite member