If $150,000 USD fell into your hands, what would you change about your life?

IBM

Obviously this varies depending on where you live and how much you could get out of it, etc. 

But just something to think about, curious about the answers. Also helpful for people who do have lumpsums of savings and uncertain about their life planning, etc. 

Personally, I'd probably lock up a 10~ acre property in Pennsylvania (where I live) and try to build a house on it, there's a lot of Amish built prefab cabins and such around here, would love to have something like that. If I had anything leftover, maybe a Toyota Tacoma. 

spacer.png

Totschlagen - IM Wojak - Cloud Rat

Previously The Stricken Cards - License 2 Kill - Infinite Lurers - Reign of Terror

Certainly nothing life changing you can do with that amount these days.

I'd probably use it to make some non risky investments and just use that towards retiring earlier.

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Megaman said:

150k not enough for a down payment

Fortunate to live in a cheap state still, granted what is desirable to some definitely isn't here.. but plenty of nice houses on the market in PA for under 250k still. For how long, who knows lol

Edit: I bought a house on .33 acre, 3.5 bedroom, 1.5 bath, with a deck and a 1 car garage/large shed out back for $64k but it's in the middle of literally nowhere and a 30 minute drive to the closest grocery store. Though is in a gigantic national forest. 

Edited by IBM
  • Like 1

spacer.png

Totschlagen - IM Wojak - Cloud Rat

Previously The Stricken Cards - License 2 Kill - Infinite Lurers - Reign of Terror

as previous people stated 150k isnt much anymore, down payment on property or something like you said is reasonable but depending where you are that may not get you really anything lmao

investing or even just tossing it in the bank account and not making any major changes but having it as a security net sounds probably the most reasonable imo

i dont think anyone in my immediate family really owes money on anything like a car or mortgage or anything anymore but that'd also come to mind 

bunnyguestsig.png.ccdc0f4d74bc49d76625f95f77126600.png

sig.png.a653e4eb38f8831b6fe065620d30b252.png

underscore.png.983945ced2a331aa1d4ec31de5913c92.png

imkhetnai.png.18510f16e5ac66a3d1aa91c007faa2de.png

lithmigos.png.bb04c57946f75d035b102720bba28d3c.png

vanuckle.png.063402cc210fcc01769876c062581050.png

daveold.png.fe31d53c54985d7c3f7687a5fea5e8c4.png

Give 148k of it to charity, use the last 2k to book a flight to Switzerland and have someone neck me.

oha1HPn.png

5nPWTc4.png

image.png.98e814b7804dc8ab9c1af32bc23ac648.png

Grand Miracle Wizard of the Far-Right Sea Templar's Party | Bringing racism back into RS clanning since 2023.

l4u0tPk.png

spacer.png

RSN: South Tyrol

Leader of REIGN community since 2004 - Undisputably the best gaming community in history.

Rank 3 in the UK for Riichi Mahjong (UKMA ELO)

An absolute shitload of rank ones/top10 rankings in multiple games.

https://www.twitch.tv/Toffee_Latte

Despite what others are saying $150K is definitely a lot of money and could change many peoples lives tremendously. 

I would probably put a portion into renovating parts of my house, and invest the rest and/or pay down some of my mortgage.

• heart 1

KLxCxWm.gif

Legendz | The Titans | Tempest

[Templar Jan & Feb 2023]

Spoiler

eRp6JoP.gif

CVEebzD.gif

RwjQ9pi.gif

JlotNFB.gif

SG9UgzJ.gif

image.png.6b35b2c7b85eae4569a1efc860175b7a.png

If we're talkin fun? Prob buy a Ford Raptor and build a pool lol

• heart 1

KLxCxWm.gif

Legendz | The Titans | Tempest

[Templar Jan & Feb 2023]

Spoiler

eRp6JoP.gif

CVEebzD.gif

RwjQ9pi.gif

JlotNFB.gif

SG9UgzJ.gif

image.png.6b35b2c7b85eae4569a1efc860175b7a.png

36 minutes ago, Elendir said:

Would top up RRSP's and TFSA.  Rest ti pay down my mortgage.

this.

Prob 50k into my mortgage

Rest into an ETF like the S&P

5 hours ago, IBM said:

Fortunate to live in a cheap state still, granted what is desirable to some definitely isn't here.. but plenty of nice houses on the market in PA for under 250k still. For how long, who knows lol

Edit: I bought a house on .33 acre, 3.5 bedroom, 1.5 bath, with a deck and a 1 car garage/large shed out back for $64k but it's in the middle of literally nowhere and a 30 minute drive to the closest grocery store. Though is in a gigantic national forest. 

I think the middle of no where places where I am are still like 500K+ now. Life is bad for my generation but what can you do. 

But on your topic of the post. I would probably just invest the 150k and save a portion as an emergency fund.