Where can science take us?

Mk 17

8 hours ago, true said:

a machine that washes/dries/stocks your dishes

That technology exists bro, well idk about the stocking bit but the rest is there isn’t it 

7 hours ago, Dubbel Drank said:

I think were still in the expotential line considering scientific developement, and given enough time I think even the craziest of ideas might be possible given we don't mass extinct ourselfes beforehand. Imagine being able to rewrite DNA so the molecular stucture of the carbon fibers that build our bodies become as strong as a material like graphene? The speed of light can't be exceeded? Pretty sure they'd say your mad if you claimed the same about sound a mere few hundred years ago.

Very much true to both, I think we will definitely be able to alter DNA and engineer the perfect humans soon enough. However fast as light travel may never be possible just because it’s considered a “law” of the universe and so there is no breaking that law

spacer.png

Well, there's been some optimism around stopping or even reversing senescence (aging). I used to seriously think it might happen during our lifetimes, but now I doubt it. There's just so much in the body that deteriorates over time, and we've undergone millions of years of evolution – reproducing and dying.

There's a plethora of ways science could doom us to (near) extinction – just look at what a virus with like 1 % lethality is still doing to the world. It may be trivial already in the near future for just about anyone to copy the genome of a super virus from the internet, bio-print it and release it. If scientists don't figure out countermeasures to the downsides of their advancements, we can easily wipe ourselves out. And I needn't mention climate change, which after 50 years of scientific consensus we still can't stop because of a handful of very rich people and their propaganda.

But, if we somehow avoid extinction, I'm fairly sure one of the next few generations will be able to opt-in to the fountain of youth, so to speak. We'll be one of the last few unlucky generations who didn't get the option. On the flip-side, dying in an accident will become a lot more consequential (and traumatic to loved ones), and plutocrats & dictators won't even have old age holding them back from forever consolidating wealth and power (until some accident or anomalous event, anyway). The world would be quite different.

Edited by S3lvah

uE3dJ81.png

iA0XAqV.png

Fools / CU / DI / FF / Elu Warlord – TT Captain – TKO / TB / Desc / Tempy Member

On 6/17/2021 at 6:24 PM, Mk 17 said:

That technology exists bro, well idk about the stocking bit but the rest is there isn’t it 

Very much true to both, I think we will definitely be able to alter DNA and engineer the perfect humans soon enough. However fast as light travel may never be possible just because it’s considered a “law” of the universe and so there is no breaking that law

You are somehwat contradicting yourself, what if DNA and light speed were swapped around in this question? In this absurdity of existance I doubt anything is absolute.