Stealing Ideas

Wee Man

So as some of you already know I've been dumping a lot of hours into New World which has kind of inspired this topic:

IFHUBjR.png

On New World the way the warring system works is as follows:

1. A company (clan) owns a territory and receives bonuses such as housing/crafting tax from other players. Other companies from the same faction (Yellow, Purple or Green) also receive some QoL bonuses such as reduced travel costs and things like that.

2. Enemy faction members work together to increase influence in those territories via PvP enabled quests (Simple fetch and deliver, hold an area for x amount of time or kill x amount of mobs type of quests). If you try and teleport or die while PvP flagged in the middle of these quests you will fail them.

3. Once a faction maxes out their influence to 100% they can declare war on the territory based on which clan gained the most amount of influence for their faction.

4. Win the war, win the territory, get a bunch of bonuses for owning it.

If something like this was implemented into the Wilderness, for example, where you had to work together as a group to complete repeatable tasks which then ends in being eligible to war for and control an area and receive bonuses for owning that spot I think activity would sky rocket overnight assuming the bonuses were decent.

Do you think something of this nature would help the game?

Is there any content from other games you'd like to steal and implement into OSRS in someway?

What would the benefits be?

Will this topic be featured on the monthly forum stats thread?

Edited by Wee Man
  • sushmm 2

A2xdnTr.png

HNiXQu9.png

JlotNFB.gif

[32,900,047]

Wee Man#0028 | @ZybezWeeMan | Wee Man

Wasn't rev caves sort of like a tax for protection? 

For real content I would think it would be worth a try. I was thinking some sort of pvm idea involving this to involve pking as well.

Not sure if you heard. I was leader of The BlacKnights.

877ed46287d54a0fea10edf2d2defff8.png

iDPoiRL.png

6 minutes ago, Matt Robbin said:

Do i think it would be sick? YES

Do i think activity would skyrocket? probably yes

Do i think Jagex has the brainpower? Absolutely not

once again the girthy grappler has beat me to it

• sniper 1

Didn't they talk about this idea before? Clan Camps / Cup or something, or did I see it on Reddit or on the forums...? I remember a Jagex related topic where they talked about potentially 'owning' an area with resources and going to war with other clans to claim/defend territories. It might have been before the Clan System was released so could have been over a year ago. But I'm sure this was talked about in the past.

I think it's possible if implemented well and areas are fairly similar in resources.  I don't know if you can comeback though once you get fucked by a bigger clan.

The good old days

q8MGnBE.png

Tempest 1.png

~ By B4uz ~

OujZV85.gif

~ By Ace ~

This would never work on OSRS because:

1. There isn't a faction system in place.

2. You aren't locked to a single realm/world where control would matter. 

3. OSRS has lost all sense of "massive multiplayer online" play that it had when we were kids.

4. The polling system.

World of Warcraft did the same thing multiple times (Auchindoun spirit towers in TBC, Wintergrasp in WotLK, Tol Barad in Cata, etc.) and while it was novel (and even fun) at first, it became just more crap that the faction with the biggest population/most activity controlled 24/7, and eventually became dead content even within those expansions.

PvP in OSRS and the Wilderness in general don't fundamentally work in the same way as the above, so I don't think there's any clear way that something like this could work.

22 minutes ago, Embraceanger said:

3. OSRS has lost all sense of "massive multiplayer online" play that it had when we were kids.

4. The polling system.

World of Warcraft did the same thing multiple times (Auchindoun spirit towers in TBC, Wintergrasp in WotLK, Tol Barad in Cata, etc.) and while it was novel (and even fun) at first, it became just more crap that the faction with the biggest population/most activity controlled 24/7, and eventually became dead content even within those expansions.

PvP in OSRS and the Wilderness in general don't fundamentally work in the same way as the above, so I don't think there's any clear way that something like this could work.

You don't need the factions to make that work, I was just explaining how the idea came to be based on how New World implemented it. The fundamentals were repeatable dangerous tasks that allow you to eventually declare a planned fight against a controlling clan for whatever area/resource/buff etc they were in control of. It'd create action by forcing clans to fight other clans to keep control of what they owned and it'd create action because while doing those dangerous tasks in a group they could be hunted and cleared by rivals. It promotes a pker vs pker environment rather than a pker vs scrub pvmer environment which is what a lot of people claim to be the reason they don't like the wilderness. I've no idea what the WoW version of this idea was but I doubt they had the same PvP dynamic that OSRS does.

4. The polling system.

so to sum up:

1. You don't need a faction system for something similar to be implemented.

2. You can lock this kind of content to specific worlds similar to BH.

3. Which I don't agree with so more MMO style content would be great.

4. I don't care about polls, this is just for discussion purposes and forum activity lmao.

A2xdnTr.png

HNiXQu9.png

JlotNFB.gif

[32,900,047]

48 minutes ago, Da Bazz said:

Didn't they talk about this idea before? Clan Camps / Cup or something, or did I see it on Reddit or on the forums...? I remember a Jagex related topic where they talked about potentially 'owning' an area with resources and going to war with other clans to claim/defend territories. It might have been before the Clan System was released so could have been over a year ago. But I'm sure this was talked about in the past.

I think it's possible if implemented well and areas are fairly similar in resources.  I don't know if you can comeback though once you get fucked by a bigger clan.

I've not seen something like this suggested before but it wouldn't surprise me, I doubt it's a very unique idea. As for clan size it doesn't really matter if they just added a way to cap the numbers for those kind of wars or some sort of mechanic that makes it harder to hold ownership the longer you've had it. 

A2xdnTr.png

HNiXQu9.png

JlotNFB.gif

[32,900,047]

OSRS kinda needs the whole territory system, I think it would be sick for PVP

Would be implemented in a way that:

• Clan members currently under that territory get EXP buff (1%?) in gathering skills if the territory contains resources (e.g resource arena)
  • If territory contains a boss, increased drop rates (e.g Venenatis/Callisto/Vet'ion/Chaos Ele)
  • Territory capturing would be in form of having a territory avatar of some sorts? (duno just getting ideas from soul wars) where one clan defends and another attacks
Edited by Pietru

KxIO8xE.png

Tempest Old School

~ Dear You ~

soEu4V0.png

MHlPpb9.png

https://i.imgur.com/jHZcD6h.png