Stealing Ideas

Wee Man

4 minutes ago, Wee Man said:

You don't need the factions to make that work, I was just explaining how the idea came to be based on how New World implemented it. The fundamentals were repeatable dangerous tasks that allow you to eventually declare a planned fight against a controlling clan for whatever area/resource/buff etc they were in control of. It'd create action by forcing clans to fight other clans to keep control of what they owned and it'd create action because while doing those dangerous tasks in a group they could be hunted and cleared by rivals. It promotes a pker vs pker environment rather than a pker vs scrub pvmer environment which is what a lot of people claim to be the reason they don't like the wilderness. I've no idea what the WoW version of this idea was but I doubt they had the same PvP dynamic that OSRS does.

so to sum up:

1. You don't need a faction system for something similar to be implemented.

2. You can lock this kind of content to specific worlds similar to BH.

3. Which I don't agree with so more MMO style content would be great.

4. I don't care about polls, this is just for discussion purposes and forum activity lmao.

I guess you're thinking smaller scale, an update for the handful of PvP clans left in the game, who's members (pkers) make up the smallest percentage of the player base imaginable in 2021. There's no way anything like this would work without the PvM/ironman community. I'm not trying to say it's a bad idea, but the implementation of it wouldn't work with the way OSRS operates currently.

However, if it was locked to a handful of shrunken worlds (let's say 3 in this example, the rest of the world is off limits except for Varrock/Edgeville which are close to the ditch), I could see this working on a quasi-faction based system, maybe split up by allegiance to the Gods? Zamorak/Saradomin/Guthix. Maybe tie it in with a new Mage Arena quest/cape, or rework the MA2 capes. Use the Favour system from Zeah for the entire area. You would do the quest, pick a God and you were locked to that God's servitude on that account. Let's say Zamorak in this case. Once Zamorak followers take over, the wilderness monsters are replaced with Guthix/Saradomin creatures that can only be killed by Zamorak followers. Drops are excellent, noted, whatever. Zamorak followers get a nice fat buff of like 15% extra damage/accuracy in the Wilderness against monsters and players alike. Opens up a boss or two ONLY for Zamorak followers.

Then, Guthix and Saradomin followers kill the Zamorak monsters in the area, turn in materials, do quests, whatever until they reach 100% favor. Let's say Saradomin hits 100% next. Zamorak's weakened boss fights Saradomin's strengthened boss, along with a big PvP battle to decide if Zamorak keeps or Saradomin takes over. Rinse and repeat. Have the battle on a hard timer every 6/12/18/24 hours or whatever to make it somewhat fair. 

This entire post reads like shit and I'm sorry for that, but hopefully my idea got across okay. 

After reading Pietru's post I basically described Soul Wars but spread throughout the Wilderness lol. Sort of, yeah. I was mixing in some ideas with the way World of Warcraft did it (Wintergrasp in this case) but yeah, the foundation is already there in Soul Wars to an extent. 

2 minutes ago, Embraceanger said:

I guess you're thinking smaller scale, an update for the handful of PvP clans left in the game, who's members (pkers) make up the smallest percentage of the player base imaginable in 2021. There's no way anything like this would work without the PvM/ironman community. I'm not trying to say it's a bad idea, but the implementation of it wouldn't work with the way OSRS operates currently.

However, if it was locked to a handful of shrunken worlds (let's say 3 in this example, the rest of the world is off limits except for Varrock/Edgeville which are close to the ditch), I could see this working on a quasi-faction based system, maybe split up by allegiance to the Gods? Zamorak/Saradomin/Guthix. Maybe tie it in with a new Mage Arena quest/cape, or rework the MA2 capes. Use the Favour system from Zeah for the entire area. You would do the quest, pick a God and you were locked to that God's servitude on that account. Let's say Zamorak in this case. Once Zamorak followers take over, the wilderness monsters are replaced with Guthix/Saradomin creatures that can only be killed by Zamorak followers. Drops are excellent, noted, whatever. Zamorak followers get a nice fat buff of like 15% extra damage/accuracy in the Wilderness against monsters and players alike. Opens up a boss or two ONLY for Zamorak followers.

Then, Guthix and Saradomin followers kill the Zamorak monsters in the area, turn in materials, do quests, whatever until they reach 100% favor. Let's say Saradomin hits 100% next. Zamorak's weakened boss fights Saradomin's strengthened boss, along with a big PvP battle to decide if Zamorak keeps or Saradomin takes over. Rinse and repeat. Have the battle on a hard timer every 6/12/18/24 hours or whatever to make it somewhat fair. 

This entire post reads like shit and I'm sorry for that, but hopefully my idea got across okay. 

Yeah I get what you're saying. I'm definitely talking smaller scale. Too many solo minded people play this game now after being babied and pandered to for years. If It was up to me I'd remove all ironman content and make you drop everything on death again. I've no doubt none of this would pass a poll lmao.

A2xdnTr.png

HNiXQu9.png

JlotNFB.gif

[32,900,047]

Wee Man#0028 | @ZybezWeeMan | Wee Man

57 minutes ago, Wee Man said:

Yeah I can't do 250 hour grinds like some of the losers on my server have done lmfao

@Nulllooks like he's calling you out here son

IinmuAH.gif

N2ImPBk.png
  GnWrlh9.gif 
- Damage Inc May 2006 - October 2009 -
- Damage Inc Warlord General -

Spoiler

unknown.png

Pretty sure they planned to add some faction wars minigame at some point 

4 hours ago, Wee Man said:

So as some of you already know I've been dumping a lot of hours into New World which has kind of inspired this topic:

IFHUBjR.png

On New World the way the warring system works is as follows:

1. A company (clan) owns a territory and receives bonuses such as housing/crafting tax from other players. Other companies from the same faction (Yellow, Purple or Green) also receive some QoL bonuses such as reduced travel costs and things like that.

2. Enemy faction members work together to increase influence in those territories via PvP enabled quests (Simple fetch and deliver, hold an area for x amount of time or kill x amount of mobs type of quests). If you try and teleport or die while PvP flagged in the middle of these quests you will fail them.

3. Once a faction maxes out their influence to 100% they can declare war on the territory based on which clan gained the most amount of influence for their faction.

4. Win the war, win the territory, get a bunch of bonuses for owning it.

If something like this was implemented into the Wilderness, for example, where you had to work together as a group to complete repeatable tasks which then ends in being eligible to war for and control an area and receive bonuses for owning that spot I think activity would sky rocket overnight assuming the bonuses were decent.

Do you think something of this nature would help the game? 

Like many things I think it would die off after not too long if it was an option as opposed to the only option. If it was the only option maybe but I feel theres a lot that would need to be worked out

Is there any content from other games you'd like to steal and implement into OSRS in someway?

Rs3 dung fog etc 

What would the benefits be?

Potentially more engaging and beneficial wilderness ecosystem plus a lot of crying 

Will this topic be featured on the monthly forum stats thread?

Perhaps 

bunnyguestsig.png.ccdc0f4d74bc49d76625f95f77126600.png

sig.png.a653e4eb38f8831b6fe065620d30b252.png

underscore.png.983945ced2a331aa1d4ec31de5913c92.png

imkhetnai.png.18510f16e5ac66a3d1aa91c007faa2de.png

lithmigos.png.bb04c57946f75d035b102720bba28d3c.png

vanuckle.png.063402cc210fcc01769876c062581050.png

daveold.png.fe31d53c54985d7c3f7687a5fea5e8c4.png

If something like this was implemented into the Wilderness, for example, where you had to work together as a group to complete repeatable tasks which then ends in being eligible to war for and control an area and receive bonuses for owning that spot I think activity would sky rocket overnight assuming the bonuses were decent.

Funny you should say this...

I don't know how many legacy people we have here, but I'm sure some of them remember warbands. On rs3 there is an implemented system called warbands where every 8 hours there's one camp per world filled with npcs in the wilderness. If you clear out the NPCs you can loot the tents there and turn in the items you loot for massive experience gains. There was also a slight chance of finding a t70 wand(which was 7m on release) when looting tents. The players that found the wand would glow and instantly have their prayers drained.

Given the exp hungry nature of Runescape at this point, it worked kinda well. Like it or not, people learned to warband because the exp was just too good to pass up. And there were post-warband fights as well. Of course, there were still a ton of people that refused to bother and constantly ranted about. Nothing happened on that end though.

That said, rs3 is sort of dead now. I don't think there's a lot of competition going on for warband camps anymore. I also don't think that the nerds on OSRS would allow this because the exp would be way too good and it'd be in the wilderness. If it did make its way into OSRS I'd also want them to remove the timer on the warband camps as that often created a bit of pressure for FCs to sometimes avoid fighting if they didn't think they could clear their opponents in time to loot the camp.

Edit: Got carried away. There is no permanent ownership in this. That's expected though. Neither version of Runescape would work well with that. That said, the base idea is still there. Team up and clear out a large army of NPCs while potentially fighting off competitors and get rewarded. 

It won't happen, but yes.

Is there any content from other games you'd like to steal and implement into OSRS in someway?

Runescape has usually been at the forefront of games where I want to steal ideas and implement them elsewhere, even if the ideas aren't even done properly here.

Action. Action. Action.

Even if this thread doesn't make it on it's own, you'll probably put in the work to make sure that it does.

Edited by Ace

nraLl5G.gif

pleasework.gif

Spoiler

fWDZKUX.pngv629BYZ.gif

2OJwmTS.gif

Derailing topic to mention

New World is client side based for shit like gold/items, hence the item/gold dupes

New World is client side based for shit like damage calculations, hence the perma-invincibility glitch by automating scripts to shake the border in windowed mode. 

Their answer to all this?

Disabled Borderless Window Mode *regular Window mode is still up* & made Siege Turrets hitscan to reduce lag in 50v50 sieges.

This is what happens when you transition years of dev time from initially designing a survival MMO, to a Full-Loot MMO, to removing the full-loot aspect. 

All for what? Getting eventually poached by Albion Online as the TRUE GOAT of large scale PvP? 

Edited by Kav

Yeah, definitely. Anything that incentivizes people to work together in groups (particularly against other, opposing groups of players) is good IMO. The "MMO" part of the game has been sorely lacking for years and it would be nice to see it revitalized.

I'm not really a big gamer outside of RS, so not much comes to mind. I think ways of ranking both single and multi PvP would be good (outside of just LMS).

To reiterate: I'd like to see the "MMO" piece of RS put back into the game. Playing RS now feels stale compared to how it was 15 years ago. Some of that magic (nostalgia) can never come back, but finding ways to bring players together more would be good for the long term health of the game.

Only time will tell.

7UeTgyB.png

award.png.c75c7de1112b9f9037829890f77809d1.png

don't be the third whale

Other than the fact that it's still broken on NW (indie company btw) and needs patches/fixes. It could work on RS if they implemented it correctly. Factions would be Sara/Zammy/Guthix in this case. Can split up regions in the wilderness like NW as well (for example: lower levels = places like First Light, medium = Restless Shores, higher = Reekwater, highest = Shattered Mountain). Instead of taxes (not sure how'd that work since there's no trading, etc. there), just have buffs for the faction. Owned = higher drop rate, more resources, etc. Make it worthwhile for people to want to enter the wilderness.

• Like 1

hvHoqlp.png

GjBRyio.png

ODhl97J.gif.f831a07b979f5c0b8db14cb43c1db70d.gif

divider_660.png.2c0ed24e9905e05ac66f75b86313c193.png

PDlMitch ~ Ex: Knights of Order ~ Collision ~ Syndicate ~ Exodus ~ Crimson Raiders ~ Downfall ~ Divine Forces

EKoWIwx.gif

48UvRla.png

Ien0xgI.png

qnyOThg.png