OLED TVs/monitors

S3lvah

I've been planning on getting a 4K OLED TV this year, and so spent unhealthy amounts of time consuming reviews. I figured I'd open a discussion on the topic, if anyone has input, thoughts or questions on the matter. I'm not a professional calibrator nor a TV user (yet), but I do know a lot about recent TV models because of this recent obsession, so maybe it'll be of use to someone.

Brief Q&A on the topic:

Why should I get an OLED?

- Each pixel is illuminated independently, resulting in deep blacks, pixel-perfect illumination and amazing contrast. Response times, motion performance and viewing angles are unparalleled.

When should I NOT get an OLED?

- If you have a tight budget, need a super bright screen or frequently display static content on it. OLEDs can suffer permanent image retention ("burn-in") if the pixels stay bright and unchanging for extended periods, and the screens can wear out unevenly.

Who manufactures them?

- Panels are made by LG Display (white-OLED) and Samsung Display (QD-OLED). These are made into TVs by LG, Samsung, Sony, and additionally in Europe, Panasonic and Philips. OLED monitors have been made out of them by ASUS, Dell (Alienware) and Gigabyte at least.

What models are there now?

- LG C2 (or last year's C1) is a standard recommendation for an all-purpose OLED TV. B2 has a weaker CPU and can sometimes be had for a lot less. The pricier G2 is brighter and designed to be wall-mounted

- Sony has pricier offerings for movie lovers: A80K, A90K, A95K and last year's A##J-models.

- Samsung's new QD-OLED panel is featured in their S95B (and Sony's A95K). It's capable of very high color luminance and has some other benefits, but also drawbacks due to being new technology.

- Panasonic TVs try to stand out with their highly accurate images, and Philips with their "Ambilight" back-lighting and decent all-around image processing.

What sizes are there?

- 42–97" for LG Display's OLED, and 55–65" for QD-OLED (more sizes coming in 2023).

Edited by S3lvah

uE3dJ81.png

iA0XAqV.png

Fools / CU / DI / FF / Elu Warlord – TT Captain – TKO / TB / Desc / Tempy Member

I bought this earlier this year

https://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/qled-tv/q60a-75-inch-qled-4k-smart-tv-qe75q60aauxxu/

Like you I did a lot of research before diving in, but I was also limited in what I could get due to the size of my TV stand, and there simply wasn't room to get a bigger stand.

It's one of the more basic models but you're getting a lot for your money with it (Paid €1,399)

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

2 hours ago, Brian said:

I bought this earlier this year

https://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/qled-tv/q60a-75-inch-qled-4k-smart-tv-qe75q60aauxxu/

Like you I did a lot of research before diving in, but I was also limited in what I could get due to the size of my TV stand, and there simply wasn't room to get a bigger stand.

It's one of the more basic models but you're getting a lot for your money with it (Paid €1,399)

Yeah QLEDs or mini-LEDs are a good (and frequently cheaper) alternative to OLEDs if blooming and slightly worse motion perf / viewing angles are smaller bothers to the user than OLED downsides like limited brightness and danger of image retention. For a 75" TV that's very affordable.

Edited by S3lvah

uE3dJ81.png

iA0XAqV.png

Fools / CU / DI / FF / Elu Warlord – TT Captain – TKO / TB / Desc / Tempy Member

Since some sports have started broadcasting 4K I'm highly interested in getting one of these.

Pricey for now though, ya?

KLxCxWm.gif

Legendz | The Titans | Tempest

[Templar Jan & Feb 2023]

Spoiler

eRp6JoP.gif

CVEebzD.gif

RwjQ9pi.gif

JlotNFB.gif

SG9UgzJ.gif

image.png.6b35b2c7b85eae4569a1efc860175b7a.png

I've had OLED screens on my phones for the last 6 years or so and it's very nice. My dad also has a QLED TV that's super nice too. Highly recommend these products to people who can afford them. 

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

0sj0La8.gif
LvsjxD0.gif
I63VdP6.gif

My wife would be the one to talk to about that since she sells them. She always goes into detail about it and its over my head lmao

Not sure if you heard. I was leader of The BlacKnights.

877ed46287d54a0fea10edf2d2defff8.png

iDPoiRL.png

Pretty sure I have an LG right now, but I don't remember the details. I don't spend a lot of time watching TV anymore and the PS4 + Switch are hooked up to the smaller flatscreen in the game room.

nraLl5G.gif

pleasework.gif

Spoiler

fWDZKUX.pngv629BYZ.gif

2OJwmTS.gif

7 hours ago, Kai said:

Since some sports have started broadcasting 4K I'm highly interested in getting one of these.

Pricey for now though, ya?

OLEDs are more expensive than LCD-based TVs, yes., It's down to how much you're willing to pay for image quality. I spent most of my awake home time staring at a screen, so it stands to reason to invest in it. Sports might look nice on a good-quality LCD TV too (like a QLED/QNED), and won't have to dim the image like an OLED if there's constant static content such as a scoreboard, or bright content like a skating rink. The main benefit of OLED in sports would probably be its motion performance.

• Like 1

uE3dJ81.png

iA0XAqV.png