How often should you switch jobs?

Howl

It's been a topic on my mind recently and I'm curious to hear others' thoughts on it. People change jobs far more frequently than in previous generations. My dad has been at his company for close to 30 years - something not uncommon for his generation - where as I personally have moved around far more frequently and many of my peers have done the same.

Changing jobs often comes with a pay bump, but it can also be for a better opportunity or better working environment.

On the flip side, staying at one company for a longer period of time (let's say 3+ years) creates familiarity/comfort, but also can increase productivity significantly. Software engineering in particular is great example of this - a senior dev that has been on the project a few years is going to be light years ahead of someone who just started.

So what do you think? How often have you switched jobs?

• Like 1

7UeTgyB.png

award.png.c75c7de1112b9f9037829890f77809d1.png

don't be the third whale

Depends on your field, but I think for the vast majority of industries it's more efficient to switch jobs every few years in order to move up and gain improvements, rather than staying and hoping to work your way up with your current employer.

There's no right answer for every situation. In certain fields I assume that sticking around and developing your talents with that specific job can grant you a strong status quo, where you would have necessary experience with the specifics of your job that no one else has and you become incredibly hard to replace.

In other fields like mine you would be setting yourself back to square one. I avoided working at a firm for the first few years because I did not want to be tied down. Obviously that didn't last, but I'm basically in a position now where if I left my job or was fired then I'd be back to square one if I choose to move to another firm outside of starting my own practice, even with all of the experience I've gained.

• Like 1

nraLl5G.gif

pleasework.gif

Spoiler

fWDZKUX.pngv629BYZ.gif

2OJwmTS.gif

20 minutes ago, Howl said:

It's been a topic on my mind recently and I'm curious to hear others' thoughts on it. People change jobs far more frequently than in previous generations. My dad has been at his company for close to 30 years - something not uncommon for his generation - where as I personally have moved around far more frequently and many of my peers have done the same.

Changing jobs often comes with a pay bump, but it can also be for a better opportunity or better working environment.

On the flip side, staying at one company for a longer period of time (let's say 3+ years) creates familiarity/comfort, but also can increase productivity significantly. Software engineering in particular is great example of this - a senior dev that has been on the project a few years is going to be light years ahead of someone who just started.

So what do you think? How often have you switched jobs?

I was told it's better to job hop if you want to earn higher salary. For example, you start working at a company for a 'X' amount of years (learn the basics and the business) then apply for a job that pays more for whatever skill set you have from previous job/company. Rinse and repeat. 

• Like 1

spacer.png
RIVxF9m.gif
Demonic Empire | Tempest 

Spoiler

image.png

Just now, NewAccount said:

I was told it's better to job hop if you want to earn higher salary. For example, you start working at a company for a 'X' amount of years (learn the basics and the business) then apply for a job that pays more for whatever skill set you have from previous job/company. Rinse and repeat. 

All very situational, some companies will let your grow some won't. I've quadrupled my salary in the three years at my current company, wouldn't find that growth jumping around currently. But on the flip side I'll hit a ceiling here in a few years and then need to jump ship. 

• Like 2

Kj5Nq.pngbGDwK.png

stone.png

image.png

Dependent on many variables but I think on average every 3-5 years? I worked my first job out of college for 6 years, transitioned to another company with 10% pay pump but doing the same thing and I've been there for 1.5 years.

KLxCxWm.gif

Legendz | The Titans | Tempest

[Templar Jan & Feb 2023]

Spoiler

eRp6JoP.gif

CVEebzD.gif

RwjQ9pi.gif

JlotNFB.gif

SG9UgzJ.gif

image.png.6b35b2c7b85eae4569a1efc860175b7a.png

Spoiler

2012-2013 - Worked as a Chef from a mere Commis 3 rose to rank and received my Chef Hat, Left the culinary world after felt not appreciated alot

2013-2017 - Worked as an IT Technician for Software and Hardware on a IT Retail shop. Resigned because Felt underpaid with the skills I have

2017-present- Helped Brother in Law and Eldest Sister in creating Woodfire. our Family Gourment Burger business. Now simply feeding off passive income from 30 Franchises

2018-2018 - Tried also venturing some business that friend recommended. Didn't work out in the end
2019-2019 - Tried something new with Call Centre for a Singapore Company called StarHub. Lasted mere months due to work toxicity environment.

2020-2020 - Covid Happened . Went Jobless for 9 months and was solely rely on Woodfire Passive income. Finally got a work in an IT company for a few months. Left because Racism

2021-2022 - Went back jobless for 9 months or so before Dell called and ask to work for them as their Head of Department for the Technical Hardware team. Left because Mental health deteriorating and Severely Stressed that I had to visit Hospital psychiatrist due to tight schedule and manager lack of management skills leading the group.
2023-Present - Jobless and feeding off Passive Income. Does freelancing doing PC/Laptop Services whenever feel like it or whenever people/ex-customer looks for me. OSRS daily.

I believe it is healthy to Stay in a corporate company that truly appreciates you for roughly 1-5 years before you decided to grow bigger in another one for better payment, time and other benefits that you are looking for. Assuming people starts taking work seriously from 25, by 55 if you stayed in the corporate world. Should've have like leap frogged about 5 companies atleast

but in the end, your mental health and your own health is far more important. You can make money easily everyday but your health is far more important.

SG9UgzJ.gif

Callisto_cub.png?d6057Kalphite_princess.png?d8722Kalphite_princess_(2nd_form).png?80b36Pet_chaos_elemental.png?e2d9bPet_dagannoth_rex.png?e2d9bPet_dagannoth_supreme.png?e2d9bPet_general_graardor.png?85699Pet_k'ril_tsutsaroth.png?fe846Pet_kree'arra.png?f3f6aPet_kraken.png?85699Pet_smoke_devil.png?fe846Skotos.png?52875Tangleroot.png?52875

brPYCcA.gif
1095186697551085638.webp?size=44&quality
OTP | Barrow Slayerz | RIP Peck
🇲🇾

Spoiler

3BOIKPl.png

Walk Here Isndar (level-126) / 3 more options

1095186697551085638.webp?size=96&quality

depends on company, work environment, and situation if you're unhappy and see no opportunities for growth then 6-12 months to get experience for the next thing that may provide what you're looking for (bigger salary, closer commute/remote, non-toxic work environment, etc.). If you're happy with the job and see no definitive reason to leave then i'd say 5+ years unless a dream opportunity comes along that u cant pass up

2-3 years if no promotions are offered; I don't have time to linger at the same position for longer than that (unless its like higher management position I guess lol)

Edited by Pietru

KxIO8xE.png

Tempest Old School

~ Dear You ~

soEu4V0.png

MHlPpb9.png

https://i.imgur.com/jHZcD6h.png

48 minutes ago, NewAccount said:

24 minutes ago, Scleritis said:

1-2 years for the bag

always a risk though if your job is currently well paid and there's good work life balance as well

Yeah most positions will see a ~5% salary growth year over year, but you can easily get a 10%+ bump by changing companies

I think sometimes it's easier to move up in role by staying with one company though

• Like 1

7UeTgyB.png

award.png.c75c7de1112b9f9037829890f77809d1.png

don't be the third whale

I was just talking to a senior driver about this on Friday. All the other drivers are 30+ year guys and the spot I have now has been a turnstile ever since the last guy of 30+ retired. 

I've been at this place 8.5 years and possible lifer. Shifting jobs for better opportunities is great but in the long run isn't always better or gets you further ahead.

Honestly,  if you find a place where you can live comfortably and the job doesn't make you hate your life. Long term that's the best place to be unless a change gives you the opportunity to retire younger.

• Like 1

Not sure if you heard. I was leader of The BlacKnights.

877ed46287d54a0fea10edf2d2defff8.png

iDPoiRL.png

If you're happy in your current job and there's opportunity for growth (financially and position wise) then there isn't really reason to hop around. Sometimes it's worth more to have a few extra years with a company vs getting a small % extra pay bump by moving to a new one. As said it can end up badly moving to a new company. That said it's very different in a country with a much larger job market like the US vs a much smaller one here.

• Like 1

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

I think it depends on so many variables. Personally, I've hopped around between 1-2 years because in my field, experience is everything. Every couple years of experience you add, the price to keep you is going to go up tremendously. But you also have to consider work/life balance which is 100% more important to me than making more money. I probably wouldn't even think about leaving my current job if I wasn't going to get at least 15% increase in salary. There is also the idea of starting fresh with a company which is dreadful if you ask me. You need to spend so much time learning how things are done and the new processes. You really need to think if its worth it in the long run.

• Like 1

Spoiler

JlotNFB.gif

IEJv51q.gif

bestperstmember.png

friendliestmember.png

hwW0HvN.png

6TnAgyg.png

Good topic,

So what do you think? I will always say trust your instincts, longest job i had was 4 years and it was so draining, the pay was good and i always had a plan to leave and wanted to stay for a bit longer as there were some bonuses coming up, decided to quit a year earlier and now im in a way better position, it wasnt easy and there are no guarantees when you try something but all I know is had i stayed I would be doing the same thing and not making any progress, if your mental health is at play dont hesitate to quit, plan in advance and leave asap

How often have you switched jobs? Few switches over the years prob avg 2.5 years

I'd say a year generally should be minimum unless you're leaving because it's a shitty/abusive environment or whatever because constantly job hopping and not being able to last a year anywhere looks bad

Shortest i've ever waited before leaving was ~6 months and longest i've ever been at a place is a bit over 2.5 yrs and counting 

As other people said it depends on a lot variables though, including your feel, what position you're in etc and Brian made a good point about whether or not there's room for growth in your current position

Realistically there's no right answer but I think most people would agree hopping around too frequently is probably not a good idea in most fields 

bunnyguestsig.png.ccdc0f4d74bc49d76625f95f77126600.png

sig.png.a653e4eb38f8831b6fe065620d30b252.png

underscore.png.983945ced2a331aa1d4ec31de5913c92.png

imkhetnai.png.18510f16e5ac66a3d1aa91c007faa2de.png

lithmigos.png.bb04c57946f75d035b102720bba28d3c.png

vanuckle.png.063402cc210fcc01769876c062581050.png

daveold.png.fe31d53c54985d7c3f7687a5fea5e8c4.png