Official NCAA Football Thread

Pengy

12 hours ago, dnd5 said:

All about brand names

I saw some theories online that the playoff has actually increased the lack of parity - essentially, because the top 4 make it (instead of 2) the top dog in each conference is building up their own mini dynasty because recruits want at least a chance to play in the playoff, meaning they'll pick the teams that make it year after year

good solutions might be:

- going back to a 2 team final

- expanding to 6-8 teams (although imo this starts to create too many games for teams, college kids shouldn't play a 16 game schedule)

- lowering the scholarship limit to 75 so teams can't hoard as much talent

7UeTgyB.png

award.png.c75c7de1112b9f9037829890f77809d1.png

don't be the third whale

On 12/20/2020 at 8:59 PM, Howl said:

I think it's partly because we're seeing two of the best dynasties ever happen simultaneously, but I agree. I'd at least like to see G5 teams be given the chance. I absolutely think Cincy should've made it this year.

This was the perfect year for a team like Cincy to get a shot. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Howl said:

I saw some theories online that the playoff has actually increased the lack of parity - essentially, because the top 4 make it (instead of 2) the top dog in each conference is building up their own mini dynasty because recruits want at least a chance to play in the playoff, meaning they'll pick the teams that make it year after year

I don't know how true this is but I could see it. The schools in the playoffs recently have also had elite recruiters for coaches that were known commodities before the playoffs started. 

8 hours ago, Howl said:

good solutions might be:

- going back to a 2 team final

- expanding to 6-8 teams (although imo this starts to create too many games for teams, college kids shouldn't play a 16 game schedule)

- lowering the scholarship limit to 75 so teams can't hoard as much talent

No matter what system you use someone is left out at some point. I'd prefer to expand and reduce regular season games to give more people a shot. The problem is once you start expanding then the next cry will be for 16 etc. I think 8 is the best number and give some conference tie (with some sort of minimum win or max loss)  and a stipulation to let a group of 5 team in given certain criteria. Problem is it adds a game.

X7hVOuI.png

zd4U5d4.gif

L7S1gha.png

7 minutes ago, dnd5 said:

No matter what system you use someone is left out at some point. I'd prefer to expand and reduce regular season games to give more people a shot. The problem is once you start expanding then the next cry will be for 16 etc. I think 8 is the best number and give some conference tie (with some sort of minimum win or max loss)  and a stipulation to let a group of 5 team in given certain criteria. Problem is it adds a game.

I don't think it would be that much crying for 16 teams if you go up to 8. Yeah people might be upset right at the cusp, but I think with 8 teams we at least know that the best teams in the country are in. With 4 teams, it's really hard to say that the 3rd or 4th team is really better than the 5th or 6th. It would also pretty much guarantee a spot for a G5 team that puts up a really good record like cincy or central Florida from a few years ago. Tbh I'm not too fussed about adding a game, if you're in the playoffs it's probably ok to get an extra game.

39 minutes ago, Pengy said:

I don't think it would be that much crying for 16 teams if you go up to 8. Yeah people might be upset right at the cusp, but I think with 8 teams we at least know that the best teams in the country are in. With 4 teams, it's really hard to say that the 3rd or 4th team is really better than the 5th or 6th. It would also pretty much guarantee a spot for a G5 team that puts up a really good record like cincy or central Florida from a few years ago. Tbh I'm not too fussed about adding a game, if you're in the playoffs it's probably ok to get an extra game.

This is how I feel tbh

Edited by dnd5
  • Haha 1

X7hVOuI.png

zd4U5d4.gif

L7S1gha.png

54 minutes ago, dnd5 said:

I don't know how true this is but I could see it. The schools in the playoffs recently have also had elite recruiters for coaches that were known commodities before the playoffs started. 

I think 8 could ultimately be a better number, although I think it could be tough to get it to move that way.

7UeTgyB.png

don't be the third whale

Bama/ND went as expected

Clemson/OSU blew my mind

I still think Fields is severely overrated and just had a fluke game. Clemson didn't look like their typical powerhouse self so not sure what happened there. Just my opinions on the game

hvHoqlp.png

GjBRyio.png

ODhl97J.gif.f831a07b979f5c0b8db14cb43c1db70d.gif

divider_660.png.2c0ed24e9905e05ac66f75b86313c193.png

PDlMitch ~ Ex: Knights of Order ~ Collision ~ Syndicate ~ Exodus ~ Crimson Raiders ~ Downfall ~ Divine Forces

EKoWIwx.gif

48UvRla.png

Ien0xgI.png

qnyOThg.png

1 hour ago, Mitch said:

Bama/ND went as expected

Clemson/OSU blew my mind

I still think Fields is severely overrated and just had a fluke game. Clemson didn't look like their typical powerhouse self so not sure what happened there. Just my opinions on the game

I think Fields might actually be really good, but it's hard with such a small sample size

ND was outclassed on the perimeter, just didn't have the athletes to keep up with Bama

7UeTgyB.png

don't be the third whale