Jebrim AMA

Jebrim

14 hours ago, Adam_ said:

You mentioned your AAS. Did you ever actually work in the games industry/game development? Work on any games we may know? If yeah, how was it?

Working on flight simulators what protocols/steps are there to ensure it's as accurate as possible? Assuming that's rather important.

Do you ever test out the simulations yourself as if you were the pilot? Do you feel being on the developmental side of such simulations makes you treat them differently than an actual pilot in training may? 

I mentioned what I worked on. The games industry and simulation industry both use the exact same technologies. Simulation engines are just like game engines. The main difference is how they are optimized. To make anything real-time means that you have to have performance budget to account for and tradeoffs to make. Games will often try to prioritize aesthetics. Simulators are often willing to sacrifice on aesthetics if it means being able to render more objects in a larger scene. Since we render the entire planet Earth to scale, we are dealing with something far larger than you'd find in video games. This in turn necessitates making different tradeoffs.

Another difference is that sims will also often separate the visual system from the physics engine, removing coupling between the rendering and the physics, thereby allowing them to be swapped interchangeably.

I made a real-time chess game (chess without turns, but with cooldowns instead) called JebChess. It was online for a time. This project helped me land my first job in the industry at Knife Edge Software. What we produced was a flight sim (RealFlight) for hobbyists that worked with radio controlled model airplanes. While it wasn't officially a game, many people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. It even had racing in it where you could do time trials as you fly through rings. You're welcome to judge for yourself.

What I worked on for Lockheed Martin was a product similar to Google Earth Pro, but with military applications. My new job involves full flight simulators where you enter into what is essentially a small room with a cockpit, aircraft controls, and many projectors or monitors where the windows would be. We are the industry leader and produce flight sims for both commercial and military partners. For the F-35 simulator, since the helmet renders a full 360 degree view, we actually render a full 360 degree view around you using 24 different image generators that each render a portion of the scene. Everything must be synchronized and stitched together. Both my work at LM and my new company involve full Earth rendering.

The physics for flight sims are usually verified using wind tunnel testing. Many flight sims will use lookup tables based on known aerodynamic values of a particular aircraft. RealFlight was unique in that we performed much of our math based on first principles, allowing for a general purpose physics engine that enabled the quick analysis of new aircraft designs, rather than being stuck with existing known designs.

Yeah, I've tested flying. That's always the best way to test the rendering. Some things you can't see if you are just using a floating camera. TAA is a great example of this. I've dealt with a nasty ghosting bug that caused pixels from the aircraft to bleed onto the vegetation behind it. If all you had tested was a static scene, then such a bug would not have been identified.

I think being on the developmental side of anything gives you a different perspective than the user of that technology. This is true even with video games. Due to my work, I now see a bunch of rendering artifacts in a large number of games that I would never have noticed before I started this career. I'm always on the lookout for them. I also am always thinking about how the various different rendering features would be implemented in each game. I sometimes will even toss a game inside of a GPU Debugger to reverse engineer it and see how they produced the rendering.

• Like 1

Hey Jebby outrageous life story you got there bud!

Care to elaborate why you hate Islam and why are you against palestine?

• Sad 1

ZO59T.png

SUIcL.png

5KOIjnM.png

GZshsfn.png

45zjl4P.gif

16 hours ago, Dickus said:

Why do you look favorably upon pro-slavery politicians?

I look favorably upon politicians that support states' rights and self-government. It's simply none of any outsider's business what laws and policies a state chooses to embrace. Every state governs their own internal affairs as they see fit. Just as we shouldn't interfere with what happens in France, we shouldn't interfere with what happens in another state. Federalism is an incredibly important concept and is the greatest thing about America, far more than democracy. Citizens of all political stripes get to win. A voter at a ballot box has almost no influence, but any citizen can vote with their feet and simply move to a state that has the laws that they want. We have competition and choice among the 50 states. Win-win scenarios are the best. The biggest thing I will always fight against is a national policy seeking to impose on the nation as a whole a one-size-fits-all policy. It doesn't really matter what the specific policy is.

California is just as welcome to do things that I might find to be evil, just as much as Texas is welcome to do things that Californians might find to be evil.

4 minutes ago, Jebrim said:

I look favorably upon politicians that support states' rights and self-government. It's simply none of any outsider's business what laws and policies a state chooses to embrace. Every state governs their own internal affairs as they see fit. Just as we shouldn't interfere with what happens in France, we shouldn't interfere with what happens in another state. Federalism is an incredibly important concept and is the greatest thing about America, far more than democracy. Citizens of all political stripes get to win. A voter at a ballot box has almost no influence, but any citizen can vote with their feet and simply move to a state that has the laws that they want. We have competition and choice among the 50 states. Win-win scenarios are the best. The biggest thing I will always fight against is a national policy seeking to impose on the nation as a whole a one-size-fits-all policy. It doesn't really matter what the specific policy is.

California is just as welcome to do things that I might find to be evil, just as much as Texas is welcome to do things that Californians might find to be evil.

Ah yes well if the state wants it then slavery is chill, ty for answer

Edited by Dickus
  • honk 1
  • yikes 1

image.png.b4cc6de571465570c99843ecb9c7308e.png

tumblr_nb5lrs02NY1tgbziwo4_400.gif

The Titans Officer

Ronin PK Leader

Tempy Legend

18 minutes ago, Jebrim said:

didn't really answer the question, literal political ramble lol, want to have another go at it?

ignore federal politics, can you confirm if you are Islamophobic? are you pro white supremacy?

Edited by Killaz

2iAkAAG.gif

15 hours ago, RagingPanda said:

What is the difference between allocating memory on the heap versus the stack?

What C++11 and C++14 features are you using?

What are templates used for?

Explain the inline keyword

What is little and big endian?

Memory is allocated on the heap dynamically at runtime and has a life cycle that you directly control. Anything you allocate with new must also be deallocated with delete. Smart pointers in modern C++ can count references to automatically do this for you.

Memory allocated on the stack has a life cycle determined by scope. As you enter into a scope, memory is pushed onto the stack, and, as you exit the scope, memory is automatically deallocates the memory by popping it off the stack.

Smart pointers, multi-threading, auto keyword in certain circumstances (such as iterators). Some coworkers like to use range-based loops too, but I'm a bit old school.

Templates are for worsening compilation times. 😤 They're used to be type-agnostic so that you don't have to continually rewrite code for every new combination of data types. The compiler automatically generates each version of a function with a used data type for you.

The inline keyword will insert the code directly into the area where it is called rather than going through the overhead of pushing the function onto the stack. It is generally used for very short functions, particularly ones that might be used frequently and where performance is important.

Little and big endian refer to the order that bytes are stored in a data type. The significant byte may be first or last. These are most commonly switched when a network protocol or file format calls for it.

16 hours ago, Fire said:

What are your opinion on the Microsoft Flight Simulator that came out in 2020 and DCS World.

Do you follow any Youtuber/Streamers that uses those sim's above.

Do you know who Airforceproud95 is? 

I haven't used it. I do think though that one ought to have proper controls and not attempt to use a keyboard and mouse, or even an XBox controller, to fly any flight sim.

No, I don't.

No, I don't.

15 hours ago, Fire said:

Have you ever considered building and flying a RC Helicopter/Plane?

Have you ever considered going for your pilot license? 

If you had your pilot license which type of plane would you want to fly?

We actually had to do this for work. 😛 

Nah. Not unless I decide to buy a particular property on an HOA that comes with its own air strip and hangars. We have this near Fort Worth. 🙂

spacer.png

I'm not sure. I'd be concerned with the costs of course.