Do You Love to Hate?

S3lvah

1. Are you motivated to clan by

-> "positive" things, like warring skills (honing & using), gaming with friends, gameplay, the thrill of competition; or

-> "negative" things like giving bad people what they deserve, demotivating your opponents, weakening / closing bad clans, or your enemies' impotent hatred towards you?

(And if both, which one chiefly?)

Definitely both, although it usually leans heavily towards the positive for me. When I was in Legacy and we were deep into our rivalry with Zenith, the negative motivators were definitely big for me, but I always leaned back on community. In Tempest it's almost all positive.

That being said, I just hate losing. That's always going to be my biggest motivator.

2. Which type of motivation ("positive" or "negative"), if any, do you perceive as having better driven clans to succeed?

I think positive motivators are usually more sustainable - i.e. if your whole goal is to close a certain clan and that clan actually closes, what next? But of course, some of the most successful clans we've seen in the OSRS era have been driven by negative motivators. I think negative motivation is overall bad for the clan world.

3. What are your moral (ethical) and psychological (health-related) thoughts on these types of motivation – in RS and life in general?

Positive motivators are almost always better than negative motivators, but they're rarely black and white. I think it also depends on whether or not you can separate parts of your life. Can you have a negative motivator (i.e. let's say you want to completely demoralize your opponent in a sporting event), but still be an overall virtuous person? It's an interesting discussion for sure.

7UeTgyB.png

award.png.c75c7de1112b9f9037829890f77809d1.png

don't be the third whale

7 hours ago, Lavigne said:

2. Which type of motivation ("positive" or "negative"), if any, do you perceive as having better driven clans to succeed?

Negative, I'm pretty sure if most clans flame or ddos you you wanna beat the shit out of them. Look at ROT, they thrive on having pissed everyone off and being 1v3'd at almost every turn. But I'd say it was balanced pre-EOC. Positive in the sense that many clans wanted to rank up on RAW or just prove they were better whilst keeping it respectful (EH, RSD, FEAR etc), whilst some wanted to just be kings of settling beef in the wild (VR, EOS, TT, ROT)

What's interesting about those that thrive off of negative conflict, is that they struggle immensely when that conflict isn't provided. That conflict doesn't even have to be an all out crash war either, just a simple wrong. 

During my time in Downfall I noticed that even after the Ronin crash war, conflict was often a necessary motivator. It didn't matter if it was someone avoiding us for fights, someone providing difficult conditions for a fight(s), or someone cheating in a round of CWA, or even someone bad mouthing us for whatever reason. That was what really got the men pumped up. When that conflict was denied, things got awkward, motivation was made difficult. For example I remember one CWA fight against Forsaken where staff's attempts at getting people pumped simply didn't work because there wasn't any valid reason for us to be angry(it was a fight in our preferred time zone, we'd lost the first round poorly on our own, and after that round they didn't say anything bad or flame). 

That said, in the case of ROT they've openly admitted that they'll go to any length to create conflicts on both sides(it's not enough for them to simply crash someone, it has to be two sided), even as far as attempting to get members in other clans to add fuel to them. They full well know that without it they don't have anything to keep themselves going. 

3. What are your moral (ethical) and psychological (health-related) thoughts on these types of motivation – in RS and life in general?

FFXIV players are worse, mentally than people on this game ever will be lol. I think the fact people on this game take pride out of taking issues out of the game and affecting people's personal lives is extremely fucked.

The FFXIV player base actually broke me. There's no desire for improvement there in any form. You can't criticize the game, you can't criticize other players(even the players you run into in DR that run around either with empty gear slots or gear 200 ilevels below what it should be while also having no idea how to properly perform their rotations). RS can get super toxic at times, but I at least prefer that towards not being able to speak out about anything at all. 

• heart 1

nraLl5G.gif

pleasework.gif

Spoiler

fWDZKUX.pngv629BYZ.gif

2OJwmTS.gif

54 minutes ago, Ace said:

The FFXIV player base actually broke me. There's no desire for improvement there in any form. You can't criticize the game, you can't criticize other players(even the players you run into in DR that run around either with empty gear slots or gear 200 ilevels below what it should be while also having no idea how to properly perform their rotations). RS can get super toxic at times, but I at least prefer that towards not being able to speak out about anything at all. 

Off-topic but really happy to see someone else who knows EXACTLY what I mean. I couldn't do it anymore man, there's one more season of solo q ranked pvp left probs ever but I decided to give it a miss because it was literally killing me on a mental level lol. I enjoyed the mode and the game is fantastic, but seriously, fuck the people that play it. Can't imagine any of those people surviving in the RS clanning community or frankly any other MMO, but that's probably the point, XIV is supposed to be some kind of safespace and in return, people who care about doing well have to suffer. For a while, FF players weren't even allowed to join REIGN discord, I wanted my mates in there but I had to run it through everyone else in a poll, and the vote was a straight no.

In the end we compromised and made a second less serious mingle discord for our FF mates. And the exact reason for that is a lot of us come from RS, WoW and Counter Strike and they wouldn't last long before being bullied out, despite the fact it's our normal banter. Needless to say, within a month of this discord we fell out with an FF discord called FoE because someone flamed them for having members that griefed matches lol, and immediately FoEs leader demanded people choose between REIGN or FoE. Instantaneously point proven as far as many of my members were concerned.

Also agreed RE ROT, they were always one of the original "NH" clans, but I would agree with them despite any other circumstances the reason it initially kicked off is no-one would fight them, so rather than let their clan die they decided to just crash and people can say what they want about them going up against VR, DF, EOS, DI & AF all at the same time, but it got them some kind of event twice a week.

Edited by Lavigne
  • heart 1

oha1HPn.png

5nPWTc4.png

image.png.98e814b7804dc8ab9c1af32bc23ac648.png

Grand Miracle Wizard of the Far-Right Sea Templar's Party | Bringing racism back into RS clanning since 2023.

l4u0tPk.png

spacer.png

RSN: Knight Frank

Leader of REIGN community since 2004 - Undisputably the best gaming community in history.

An absolute shitload of rank ones/top10 rankings in multiple games. Now too busy.

https://www.twitch.tv/Toffee_Latte

-> "positive" things, like warring skills (honing & using), gaming with friends, gameplay, the thrill of competition; or

-> "negative" things like giving bad people what they deserve, demotivating your opponents, weakening / closing bad clans, or your enemies' impotent hatred towards you?

I am motivated when gaming with friends, i like when my clan is not favored to win the war but if i know that we have what it takes to win it will be fun and we will beat the other clan

i do enjoy giving bad people what they deserve but i enjoy wars more when they are competitive and not so one sided even if my clan is the one with the advantage

Positive, i always saw that in every clan, they had strong friendships and had lots of fun battling other clans no matter what

Edited by Alorus
  • Like 1

A little of both really. Drama and beef is what keeps events interesting.

Again both have their places.

Shit talking the idiots is 3/4 of the fun. If people are soft and easily broken they probably shouldn't be involved with clans because someone will come along and exploit that mentality eventually.

A2xdnTr.png

HNiXQu9.png

JlotNFB.gif

[32,900,047]

Wee Man#0028 | @ZybezWeeMan | Wee Man

I am definitely more motivated by positive things like warring, the community, competitiveness.

I think you need a mix of both to be a well-rounded, successful clan. I moderated on RSC during what I feel was the clan world's peak ('06-'07) and from what I could tell, it seemed like the best clans overall had a mix of these traits.  Unfortunately, it felt like the ones that were driven more by the "negative" ones seem to gain more momentum from their members and therefore were overall more successful in battle.  Hatred/vengeance are indeed excellent motivators when it comes to rallying up people to annihilate your enemies.  But for a clan to keep that momentum long-term, it's best to have a solid community as well or else internal drama will ensue and the clan will fall apart pretty quickly.

Really think it's messed up to be driven to weaken/close clans you dislike since it just ends up weakening the clan world in general by having less opponents, less variety in the clan world.  Also did not like it when clans resorted to IRL flaming since that can have psychological impact on those who are on the receiving end.  One never knows what internal battles another person is facing, so while it's nice to have a good competitive rivalry with other clans to keep the game juicy and interesting, it's not okay to allow that to seep into IRL - leave it within the game.

kGyYIJR.png

PFOMOZs.png

Brian.. or Brianna?! | The artist formerly known as Pequ 
The Gladiatorz [2004-06] | Eternal Honour [2006-08]RSC CD Mod [2006-08]