The Wilderness - They just don't seem to get it.

Wee Man

a very tough problem to solve from jagex's perspective since the wilderness scope encompasses skillers, pvmers, and pkers. interested in hearing jagex's thoughts on their priority for creating wildy content since only a subset of people would do wildy content, but a way larger subset will do non-wildy pvm content. i kinda liked rs3's approach, albeit rather overpowered, with having those weird caravans of massive xp gains at set times for diff teams and clans to duke it out and have those coordinated fights. however, doesn't really solve the always poppin wilderness but maybe that isn't possible anymore as people grow 🤷‍♂️

so much land, so many worlds, and so many opinionated views to cater towards. needs a strong backbone'd person at jagex to reduce some of that scope to make the problem easier to solve

• Like 2

drake.png.9610b4e05b74e757fb0e274545cd5603.png

Rev caves worked well until it was a rag-fest but even then it was still okay. 

It was PvM like 5m a hour

and pkers hot spot for all pkers to fight and also a great location for macing.

I got back into pking cause of rev caves with friends from cwc and was great fun. But that singles pk+ sucks.

Tryna pk with friends at altar / 45 wild / gdz is so boring because we spend like 1 hour trying to find a team and finding a pvm with loot of a glory lol.

The rev caves put pvm / pvp all in one good location.

====

I think rev caves multi provided this

1. Risk and reward balanced content in the wilderness exists. (a fantasy at this point I know) > Rev Caves had this risk versus reward aspect. 

2. All kinds of players use this content for the generous rewards > even lower level players could do this in rev caves

3. Individuals/small groups of Pkers come along to kill those people for their loot > various small / big teams pked in rev caves multi

4. Larger groups come along to kill those pkers and the pvmers/skillers. > Dino Clan

5. Even larger groups come along to kill everyone else > AF  / REV

====

-----

LA ART, GEORGIE910, TTTXXTTTT09

SOLACE - 2009

THE TITANS - 2009

Castle Wars Community 2010 - PRESENT

Tempest Community Intro - PRESENT

-----

yTrhtk5.gif

On 7/24/2021 at 5:56 AM, Victor said:

Something tells me that you are going to achieve greatness in here.

don't ask me why... I just feel like if you stay active and present you will be someone to look for in a near future

If you want risk reward and want to pk people who won't attack back. I'd suggest playing the dead man mode. That's full of people to pk and you can even find real pkers to tickle your skill fancy. 

Forcing a playing via slayer or clue scrolls seems a bit rediculous. You shouldn't have to force someone, you should entice them. 

image.png.f81ac5f3ef9f13cb4b51bdb0d06fe4b8.png

I do not think Jagex can fix the Wilderness. But what they should do is talk and listen to actual experts. Those that have been in the scene for 15-20 years. I also think content creators have a role in this as they can market the changes. However I honestly think the root issues of this dilemma transcends the game. To name 2...

• Focus on extreme efficiency and proficiency ALWAYS and WITHOUT waiver over enjoyment
  • No responsibility taken for any actions or reactions

Focus on extreme efficiency and proficiency ALWAYS and WITHOUT waiver over enjoyment

We all know what this means in OSRS. If you didn't max in 1 - 1,5 years you are doing something wrong. It's all about EXP, all about ALWAYS doing something 'useful'. I'm not sure where this mentality comes from for certain but it's a real issue and it has real consequences everywhere in our world today. Social medias shower kids / young adults with perfect lives and perfect game play.  It's easy to feel insignificant in todays world and with barely any / no focus on mental well being, guidance or discussion it's no surprise to see it reflected in dumb shit being posted. I think that many of the people that post on Reddit / Twitter think they want to play efficient like their favourite content creator (I used to think like that all the time a couple of years ago) but they really don't enjoy it. I often read on Reddit that people aren't actually enjoying the game but they just grind it out anyways....

No responsibility for actions or reactions

Going in the wilderness is dangerous. But nobody forces you to go into the wild. People that say that content is locked behind the wild (namely dragon pickaxe/dairies) just need take responsibility of their situation. Either you suck it up and grind a dragon pickaxe and risk death. Or you play without it! But what if I get flamed for using a Rune Pickaxe you ask? Just mute them and move on. Are you getting repeatedly flamed by your friends after you told them why you don't want to go get a dragon pickaxe? Ask them if they want to help you get one! If they tell you to fuck off then ditch them and get new friends. Plenty of responsibility over the actions you can take... Just stop crying...

The phrase: "If you don't want to die don't go into the wilderness".... It's true you don't have to enter. You can play the game by dropping your Wilderness clues, without an Achievement Diary cape or a Dragon Pickaxe. Most of the players play the game like this...

What can Jagex do?

- Increase wilderness saturation by either limiting accessibility in only a few worlds or shrinking the wilderness to half or 3/4th it's size. Increase the likeliness to see a player.

- Multiple spawns for the wildy bosses

- Have monsters / players drop items that give boosted xp for a couple of minutes

I don't know what the mod is trying to refer to with that phrase?

Was it something like: "If you don't want to have sex, you shouldn't be wearing ...." ?

If that's what she's referring to then she's grossly misinterpreting the severity and gravity of this compared to the initial phrase.

• Thanks 1

The good old days

q8MGnBE.png

Tempest 1.png

~ By B4uz ~

OujZV85.gif

~ By Ace ~

An eternal mess of a topic honestly.

We could sit here discussing issues with the wilderness and how to solve them until we're blue in the face but that won't prevent Jagex from doing whatever they feel like doing at any given time with it.

But here's a quick tl;dr. Casuals are the majority demographic for the game now. The only PvP most players enjoy is 1v1 and most players only enjoy watching it as a form of entertainment, rather than partaking. The entry into nearly any form of PvP is rather high these days as well.

Most of these players can't wrap their heads around the thought that every piece of content isn't made to be completed by them without having to learning how the content works and invest time into learning how that content works. This means that to these players that PKing should not exist as it only prevents them from accessing the content in the Wilderness. 

So Jagex feels pressure to cater to these players. Not to mention clans like Rot leaving bad impressions about the scene as a whole adds more pressure for them to erase our entire culture or find a way to hide it from public eyesight. 

Of course no one can predict what Jagex will do. And regardless of what Jagex will do as long as there is a way for us to keep having fights, we will. As will other clans.

Edited by Ace
  • Like 1

nraLl5G.gif

pleasework.gif

Spoiler

fWDZKUX.pngv629BYZ.gif

2OJwmTS.gif

7 hours ago, poopkid said:

a very tough problem to solve from jagex's perspective since the wilderness scope encompasses skillers, pvmers, and pkers. interested in hearing jagex's thoughts on their priority for creating wildy content since only a subset of people would do wildy content, but a way larger subset will do non-wildy pvm content. i kinda liked rs3's approach, albeit rather overpowered, with having those weird caravans of massive xp gains at set times for diff teams and clans to duke it out and have those coordinated fights. however, doesn't really solve the always poppin wilderness but maybe that isn't possible anymore as people grow 🤷‍♂️

so much land, so many worlds, and so many opinionated views to cater towards. needs a strong backbone'd person at jagex to reduce some of that scope to make the problem easier to solve

This is maybe the best post on the topic, and it comes from someone who has never made a serious post in 1 year of Tempest LMFAO.

• Haha 1

xD1G9fN.png

h0cvjf1.png

fPBTJ1M.png

m1RdWMG.png

sZLnSGx.png

xLYsTpv.png

DStPJf3.jpg

303CDqC.png

4TppgnA.png

6Dfcn17.png

9AtJ6Ju.png

I've not played the game in years but it's been a topic since like 2007...  I honestly don't think there's a solution, there's a flaw in almost every idea.  No idea if anything has changed in 2021, but Pvp players were the minority, it makes no business sense to cater to them. 

You make exp rates higher, then people just take nothing of value to skill. If you try to cap it behind something like the red skull BH system then people won't use it if it's expensive risk, and if it's minimal risk like 75k then what's the point. 

You put the best PVM loot, but then it'll just break other game mechanics in the long run. 

You need to try and make the wilderness fun, but that's a never ending circle to define. Pvp players were always kinda toxic, myself included. You can be doing a clue scroll with nothing on you and someone will just start flaming you as they attack you. I can totally understand looking back why people had no interest in joining in or even trying pvp when their only experience of pvp is some guy killing you for no loot whilst flaming. 

I guess Jagex need to try and organise a showcase of some sort for the wilderness - Perhaps something like the Jagex cup in an instance of the real wilderness (e.g where it's the same map, where items are lost); Single, 5 vs 5 single; Uncapped; 30 vs 30 etc. Allow people to spectate, create a stream and what not. Perhaps then if people see what you can do in the wilderness it would encourage a few more to try it out.  

I don't think content was ever the answer, I think it's changing perception. But as I said, I'm sure a lot has changed in the last 10 years or so. 

image.png.0358268c7f5f2f230c3d2a47af7fa054.png

image.png.c6714542ccdd1aa2374d70c8c1c3b1af.png

7 minutes ago, Flukejiver said:

I don’t even know what that means!!!

You may fool the others but you can't dumb with me!! Just don't forget to invite us all to the 200m all party

bunnyguestsig.png.ccdc0f4d74bc49d76625f95f77126600.png

sig.png.a653e4eb38f8831b6fe065620d30b252.png

underscore.png.983945ced2a331aa1d4ec31de5913c92.png

imkhetnai.png.18510f16e5ac66a3d1aa91c007faa2de.png

lithmigos.png.bb04c57946f75d035b102720bba28d3c.png

vanuckle.png.063402cc210fcc01769876c062581050.png

daveold.png.fe31d53c54985d7c3f7687a5fea5e8c4.png