I am Ghjjf - Ask me anything

Brian

12 hours ago, Blogs said:

- Thoughts on the following clans in P2P single back in 05/06/07?

• The Dynasty
  • Dark Ascension
  • Aggression
  • Dark Slayers
  • Runescape Dinasty
  • Others?

- In 06/07, DI was the only clan (by far) that could claim rank #1/2 in all of f2p mutli, p2p multi, and p2p single. Was there a point where you thought of just concentrating on one? There was a time when we were fighting TD for #1 p2p single, RoT for #1 p2p multi, and DS for #1 f2p single. We were the only clan trying to dominate in all areas. Do you think this had positive or negative benefits?

- What do you see as the biggest change between the f2p meta in 06/07 and now? Did we not innovate enough back in RS2?

- You've alluded to it before, but did you think at some point DI standards started to drop in order to keep up with the rest of the clan world? When was this? Was this inevitable?

- Do you ever regret kicking someone in OG DI?

- Any standout DI PvP moments between 06-09?

- Most underrated DI member?

- Most overrated DI member?

TD - Pretty respectable clan who always gave us good "tank" fights at MB, which were actually enjoyable.

DA - Again pretty respectable compared to the likes of AG. Should have fought more rather than using hit and run style tactics but understand why they did when DI could mass up big numbers

AG - Ruined the MB scene. There was no need to introduce praying and stuff like that.

DS - Embarrassing at MB, the amount of whips and shit we used get off them was hilarious

RSD - Gave good fights at MB and respected the honor code but the fact is the majority of their members weren't into it. @LivinLarge21trying to make single mandatory was a pretty bad call.

I believe there was a period of time where we took a break from F2P for about 2 months to focus on P2P. If you remember we had a kind of split member base where we had some people really only interested in F2P and some only interested in P2P. The saving grace here is that in 06/7 the competition in P2P multi was extremely weak. I mean no one could come anywhere near us. If we had faced stiff competition in P2P multi as well we probably would have had to of decided to focus on either P2P or F2P. DS dying was a big help too. I think being competitive in all areas allowed us to recruit a much wider range of players with different skill sets. Some joined for a particular type of pking (f2p/p2p/single) but once they were onboard they got stuck into everything

Even back as far as late 06, the meta was basically pure melee and binding. You'd get the odd mager and ranger. I really don't know why people didn't consider styles that useful back that far. Maybe it was to do with the fact that not everyone was 126. The combat triangle really isn't drastically different now. I suppose that was also the era of ingame piles so it was a lot easier to follow them if you were in melee.

I'd say I became more lenient on rules in terms of praying, that kind of thing. We definitely never became more lenient on stuff like scamming etc. After the BH era we really didn't care about praying anymore because there seemed no point. Players wouldn't put up with rules putting us at a disadvantage any longer and other clans had caught up with us in terms of levels, numbers etc.

I often wonder how different things would have played out if I hadn't kicked Tom for that time he told Sam Egnar our world as a joke.

The highlight would have to be the last fight in old wilderness. It wasn't confirmed yet but I'd heard rumours jagex were removing the wild and replacing it with BH, so I told everyone to be there or they'd regret missing it. We smoked RoT off the map in under 10 minutes.

Most underrated is always going to be @Lrd

Most overrated probably someone like Metallica

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

12 hours ago, Vanzant said:

@Blogsdidn't di have to drop standards by overhead praying at mage Bank? Think from fighting ag?

You could always pray back. The "drop" you're thinking of might be the change that we made that if someone was flicking on and off you could just keep it on the entire time.

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

11 hours ago, Applerune said:

Is there anything that ever caught you way off guard? Clan leaders etc. typically have a pretty good grip on their clans but I'd be interested to hear times where you were surprised/blindsided by something that happened. 

I suppose Foyboy leaving. I mean if he wasn't happy I figured he would have just quit like he did before. There was no indication this was going to happen and he wasn't quiet etc in the lead up to it. I was surprised, but not surprised in a way, because I knew he would have been afraid to talk to me about it.

• Like 1

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

15 hours ago, Brian said:

I'd say you would have been seen as part of an anti leadership group at the time so not close.

There was no reason to believe the JCup wasn't going to happen at the same time it happened for the previous 4 years and Jagex at no point said it wasn't. I wouldn't say there was an intense focus on it. You're also over estimating the resistance towards it. We had sub 100 members by then and could easily do weekly 20 vs 20 events. Again though you were part of an anti leadership group that wasn't open to change. Moral was only low among cliques like yours because you didn't like trying something different.

That's probably fair, I was outwardly outspoken and liked to play devil's advocate whenever it seemed necessary in order to drum up actual conversation instead of "(Y)" and "you're not wrong" which isn't constructive. I would say a lot of the dissent unranked members had including myself was because we never felt valued or heard, which looking at Tempest I'm glad has changed at least with you because nowadays you seem like the Brian that OSRS DI needed. If we had attempted then what Tempest is doing now, I feel like we could have been much more successful. 

15 hours ago, Lavigne said:

Without trying to hijack, I was massively involved in the RSB revival in DI with Dan (and then @Paulwhen he managed to get settled in college). One of our biggest issues was we had maybe 10-15 people who could really play and were good at it like Jake (who came from RSB), Ray, Moses (who came from RSB), Zaza etc. We could never make it mand because it was something too hardcore and it wouldn't have gone down well. As a result, we were fine in the smaller brackets but got absolutely FUCKED at anything bigger, because people thought they could walk into a max gear fight and we'd make a dent with them having zero practice and we quite predictably got fucked and I think that was one of few catalysts that pissed me off more than anything else. Cos opportunities were there for people to learn and no one wanted to take them except the same 20-30 people. I mean to lose 3 people in a 100v100 was pretty bad. I can imagine why officials might not have wanted a repeat of that. What happened after I went and how deciding what you guys wanted to enter in the aftermath of that though, no idea. 

That was the perfect blend of enticing people to try it without making things mandatory, which is how it should have always been. At one point it became mandatory to participate, and it turned off a lot of people because it wasn't something that many people wanted to do, and was forced on us. Most didn't play the game besides events, and didn't have the money to front for that kind of gear. I think officials may not have wanted a repeat of the 100v100, but most members (and probably those officials too) probably realized that it was a long shot for us to have a real chance of beating anyone we would have been matched with in that 100v100. 

4 hours ago, Brian said:

In OSRS I wouldn't say we had "underappreciated" members because everyone who put in a shift made it to being ranked so in that sense they weren't underappreciated. There was one guy though, "Slip" who was at literally never missed a single event and was always there until almost the end. The weird thing about him was he'd talk to absolutely no one. I don't think he ever talked in IRC or TS. He just went about his business and kept his head down.

Funny enough, you could say that he was a part of our anti-leadership clique lol. He was good/RL? friends with Derfnop and we spoke on Derfnop's RL friend group's TS quite often. He was the complete polar opposite of how he composed himself on RS. He was definitely dedicated though. After your DI, I don't know if he went into Olde's Nu-DI or not, but I do know he broke out of his shell and actually went back to school for something in computers I believe, as well as got a job.

What was the relationship between you and Tommy T Bone/other special guests in the OSRS DI era? They seemed to get a lot of passes and were pretty much members of the clan in their own way. 

It always felt like you were difficult to talk to, but if I ever spoke to you or asked you something you always answered. However, there were some guys out there that you initiated conversation with. Was there a reason you initiated with some, but otherwise only responded when spoken to?

7 hours ago, Venenatis said:

Alright let's see if I can ask some worthwhile questions.

• If you suddenly became employed by Jagex and you were given the task of revitalizing the clan world, what changes would you make to the game?
  • Are there any particular philosophies you have acquired over the years that you hold to absolutely when it comes to leadership? As an example: The Prince book says a leader must either be feared or liked, but he cannot be both. The writer holds to this philosophy with absolute conviction. Is there any philosophy you have developed over your time of leading that you believe with absolute certainty to be true?
  • Have you ever wronged someone in DI and wished you could have turned back the clock to change that moment, but found it was too late? If so, can you tell us about it. 
  • Is there any clan you were envious of in the past? Either from a quality they had that DI lacked or just a particular thing you liked.
  • What do you think of the name Tempest? Would you say it's fitting or do you wish we picked something else. Is there any name that comes to mind?
  • So far what do you think of me as an official? What could I do to improve. 

One change they could make to encourage more people to be in clans is have perks for being in a clan similar to guild perks on wow. For example improved drop rates if bossing with a certain amount of clan mates. This in itself wouldn't revitalise our clan world but it would make players more familiar/comfortable with being in proper (in game) clans. I think this would lead to more people dipping their toes in our clan world.

One thing they could do that would bring more players into the PvP clan world is make wilderness safe to some extent. For example no one even takes notice of losing F2P gear now so it being safe wouldn't really make a difference. Obviously it would have big implications for P2P and some sort of system would have to be worked out where by people can't just take elys and shit and die over and over with no penalty.

In my first run as leader during the RS2 era my philosophy was just that, lead through people being afraid of me. It was a privilege to be DI back then and people were afraid of what would happen to them if they broke the rules, or didn't put in a performance. By time OSRS came out I was already in my mid 20s and had just mellowed too much to be aggressive. It was more through respect in that era.

Sometimes I "reactionary" kicked people if they did something that made me mad. In those situations I could have taken a step back and deescalated the situation. An example of this was kicking @MILAD

In the RS2 era not really because DI really was the best overall clan.

I'm not creative with names in general so I'm kinda indifferent. Tempest is fine though considering some of the stupid clan names in the past

I think you're the kind of person every clan needs. Someone that people feel they can approach and will be listened to without feeling judged. An improvement: Up that WPM speed. JK

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

6 hours ago, Bobicles2 said:

What was your biggest regret within Di?

Not a question but every time I see you're name pop up i remember the old Di vs World p2p wars, basically Di + friends against anyone, they were incredible.

Hope you're keeping well,

PvM comb Bob

Regret would be not closing sooner in OSRS era cause I kinda dragged it out for months knowing I was mentally gone. That said if I hung on for another month or two my head could have been back in it. I'm like that sometimes.

Yea those fights were a lot of fun. Shame the clan world changed too much for them to keep happening.

• Like 1

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

4 hours ago, Josh said:

If you didn't close DI when you did, and kept going for another year or two, what changes do you think you'd have made?

My memory might be quite bad now, but if I remember TT were #1 f2p by quite a long way and RoT were pushing us hard in p2p... I remember having a p2p fight vs TT in return we'd give them an F2P fight because no one else would do it. The p2p lasted like 10 minutes haha

In both iterations then perhaps focus more on one area of the game. Hard to say now if that would have been F2P or P2P but we were still the only clan competing seriously in both F2P and P2P in 2009. RoT didn't go F2P until well after DI closed.

Yea I remember that too, they got wiped out real quick.

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

3 hours ago, Adam_ said:

How do you think osrs Di would stack up against current clans?

Probably not well because the change in even the last few years has been massive. I guess if you exclude stuff like the box meta then we'd be fine. We never had major quality issues in wilderness.

• Like 1

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

2 hours ago, Scumpr said:

Who were your top 3 favorite "Spastics" in DI?

Same question, but for tempest? 

Have you ever had ketchup chips?

What is your favorite car?

In terms of calling then Milad, Lavigne, Da Master. In terms of just ordinary members, GGS, GJW, Tomisme

Not too many around these days, danex is a bit of a 🤡 though

Nope

Dream car? DB5

• honk 1

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png