I am Ghjjf - Ask me anything

Brian

2 hours ago, Lavigne said:

What got you into RS1? Why did you not move to hype games like WoW when the MMORPG scene really took off with broadband in every home in the early 2000s.

I found it advertised on some game site (not minclip) and was hooked instantly. I only had dial up then and it not requiring a good connection was a big plus. RS1 was just really addictive for some reason. I did play WoW a fair bit but never seriously in terms of raiding etc. I much prefer the leveling aspects of games and exploring something new for the first time than end game type stuff. I'm not really a big gamer and never have been.

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

2 hours ago, Embraceanger said:

What was the relationship between you and Tommy T Bone/other special guests in the OSRS DI era? They seemed to get a lot of passes and were pretty much members of the clan in their own way. 

It always felt like you were difficult to talk to, but if I ever spoke to you or asked you something you always answered. However, there were some guys out there that you initiated conversation with. Was there a reason you initiated with some, but otherwise only responded when spoken to?

Tommy is just a funny guy. People would get a kick out of it when he'd come on TS and say lets go team.

As I said earlier in this thread (I think lol) I prefer to hold my conversations in public. I generally initiated with people who I know would hold a conversation in public chat. I never DM people for a conversation unless it's business.

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

1 hour ago, Scleritis said:

When Dynasty happened and a few people left I remember you slung up this topic http://www.di-rs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=104313

Did you really think the situation was that precarious at the time or was it just for morale purpose? We came out of it probably stronger than before

The situation was genuinely bad. A lot more could have potentially left, but it didn't pan out that way. Sometimes people need a wake up call cause they aren't really aware of whats going on.

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

Enjoyed reading a bit, definitely remember some of this. Ds was absolutely horrific at MB for example{ I was in Td back then}. I remember the Andytan meme about fucking a dog.

I think back to 2005-2006, this was the peak point of clanning for me. We used to have GSA vs World, thousands of people in the wilderness on the same world, can't even log into the world. Was that the point where Di lost it's grip on F2P? To be more specific, what exactly caused you guys to lose the top spot? Obviously you will have to acknowledge that DS took it from you, but I feel like from that point, you guys weren't really in the grind for it after. 

Also why the runechain, I think I might of missed you talking about it lol. The rune full helmet at mb? I think that was you?

What was stupidproofs obsession with you?

Lastly, I think about my clan history and how certain times it crossed paths with Di. I've definitely contemplated how things would of went differently for me if I actually went through with applying to Di instead of going back to Vr/Corruption. I was genuinely surprised when I intro'd and you didn't auto close it on me. Considering that I had just left being a rank in Ni and applied to Di. When you didn't close it on me, I thought long and hard about it. I decided it would probably never work, the amount of commitment and dedication that people put towards Di, was something that I didn't have the maturity for at the time. Not praying 1v1 alone seemed like a crazy rule to me, one which cost you guys ranks in your own clan? Mk I think? I remember there was this prick warlord in Di who used to flame me when I was a low level at mb, then when I saw he got kicked from the clan, it was funny as fuck to me for the praying overheads in single lmao.

Your consistency was always respectable though.

My opinion on Di, I think it's one of the top 3 clans of all time. You're obviously one of the top 5 most influential clan leaders of all time as well. Osrs I think you guys didn't have much substance. You were alive, but you weren't. I felt your clan lacked focus and character. But Rs2 Di I respected a lot. I fought it when it was dominant in F2P and I fought it when it was dominant in P2P. I used to spend nights grinding at Tzar's for shields to buy mystic sets, just to be a damn tber for Mb pks and dying to 30 Di at Mb lmao.  It's been a pleasure in the past Brian.

16 minutes ago, Crest227 said:

Enjoyed reading a bit, definitely remember some of this. Ds was absolutely horrific at MB for example{ I was in Td back then}. I remember the Andytan meme about fucking a dog.

I think back to 2005-2006, this was the peak point of clanning for me. We used to have GSA vs World, thousands of people in the wilderness on the same world, can't even log into the world. Was that the point where Di lost it's grip on F2P? To be more specific, what exactly caused you guys to lose the top spot? Obviously you will have to acknowledge that DS took it from you, but I feel like from that point, you guys weren't really in the grind for it after. 

Also why the runechain, I think I might of missed you talking about it lol. The rune full helmet at mb? I think that was you?

What was stupidproofs obsession with you?

Lastly, I think about my clan history and how certain times it crossed paths with Di. I've definitely contemplated how things would of went differently for me if I actually went through with applying to Di instead of going back to Vr/Corruption. I was genuinely surprised when I intro'd and you didn't auto close it on me. Considering that I had just left being a rank in Ni and applied to Di. When you didn't close it on me, I thought long and hard about it. I decided it would probably never work, the amount of commitment and dedication that people put towards Di, was something that I didn't have the maturity for at the time. Not praying 1v1 alone seemed like a crazy rule to me, one which cost you guys ranks in your own clan? Mk I think? I remember there was this prick warlord in Di who used to flame me when I was a low level at mb, then when I saw he got kicked from the clan, it was funny as fuck to me for the praying overheads in single lmao.

Your consistency was always respectable though.

My opinion on Di, I think it's one of the top 3 clans of all time. You're obviously one of the top 5 most influential clan leaders of all time as well. Osrs I think you guys didn't have much substance. You were alive, but you weren't. I felt your clan lacked focus and character. But Rs2 Di I respected a lot. I fought it when it was dominant in F2P and I fought it when it was dominant in P2P. I used to spend nights grinding at Tzar's for shields to buy mystic sets, just to be a damn tber for Mb pks and dying to 30 Di at Mb lmao.  It's been a pleasure in the past Brian.

The official war with DS was the first time we fought them. That was September 06. After that we comfortably won the next few run ins, I think we went at least 6-0? and that took us into early 2007. That was when they started to win. On F2P quality didn't mean much so there was no advantage/disadvantage on either side there really. The major reason we lost our top spot to them was simply the fact they had very few Europeans and 40+ AEST members. DI on the other hand was pretty GMT/EST based. There was simply nothing we could do when they set out to outlast us. After they closed we regained number 1 spot for a bit but after that it was really anyone's game. A major reason behind that is most DI were in DI for P2P and not F2P. I think people just got burned out on F2P and the desire wasn't as strong as it used to be. Wasn't too long after they removed wilderness and everything changed again anyway.

No particular reason for the chain and full helm other than to keep the identity. Like certain people wore coloured boots etc.

Yea he was a strange guy. Wasn't the only one obsessed with me like that though. Generally I took no notice of them.

You're probably thinking of MTA. TD got him on vid logging from them. He was head warlord at the time. Praying was one thing that probably could have been "dealt" with but logging was really hard to justify since I think even TD frowned on kind of thing at the time.

I don't think any clans apart from maybe RoT had real identity during OSRS. Everyone was kinda the same and had nothing unique to offer. That's often something we talked about, what our unique selling point would be, but we really didn't have anything different to offer than anyone else.

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

What would you say, in hindsight, caused OSRS DI to flounder towards the end? I'm wondering more-so internally, as externally the crash war was a huge factor on the clan world as a whole. Other clans were able to adapt and overcome, and they survived (to varying degrees) while DI didn't. 

DI had member numbers better suited to a midsized clan a lot of the time, and recruiting was a struggle that was ever-present. Why do you think recruiting was as bad/hard as it was? 

What kept us from fighting midsized clans more often in the wilderness? There was a lot of time we struggled to get wild events, but there were a lot of clans down a bracket that we didn't interact with much outside of the occasional CWA. 

Thanks for doing another ama. Working with you when you was brought into the officials team has been an honor and made me appreciate the things you do on the effort you put in and all the things you do behind the scene. 

i honestly thought I would’ve been able to fit into di when I did join if Paul kurt n Ashley was more active but it was just that every time I’m on TeamSpeak it was all politic talk so that pretty much burnt me out of the community.

Do you think my calling style would’ve fit into DI?

how far would DI have gone if di had tempest callers?

how do you feel about taking a much smaller role than your previous role where everything had to go through you, is it more relaxing and less stressful? Or you feel like you still do too much and might be burnt out.

aUBwTQ1.png

GUK0zkS.gif

SwqCHMW.png

19 minutes ago, Embraceanger said:

What would you say, in hindsight, caused OSRS DI to flounder towards the end? I'm wondering more-so internally, as externally the crash war was a huge factor on the clan world as a whole. Other clans were able to adapt and overcome, and they survived (to varying degrees) while DI didn't. 

DI had member numbers better suited to a midsized clan a lot of the time, and recruiting was a struggle that was ever-present. Why do you think recruiting was as bad/hard as it was? 

What kept us from fighting midsized clans more often in the wilderness? There was a lot of time we struggled to get wild events, but there were a lot of clans down a bracket that we didn't interact with much outside of the occasional CWA. 

Floundering in what sense? Everyone was dropping numbers then except RoT. Obviously RoT was on a campaign to recruit from all clans at that stage. I think that caused a lot of unease in nearly all clans.

It's pretty much as I alluded too in my response to Crest, all clans were pretty much offering the exact same thing except maybe RoT. It's really tough to recruit in an environment like that. I think a lot of people probably thought DI was harder to join than other clans maybe so went with other options. That or clans offered only one thing like DF for example at the time was strictly F2P and other clans were strictly P2P. People probably just went for what they liked. There isn't a whole amount of players who enjoy a mix of both.

Midsized at the time meant pulling like 40 while we could still pull close to 70 so those clans didn't really wanna fight us. Downfall was probably in a position to fight us towards the end, which we did.

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

23 minutes ago, david said:

Thanks for doing another ama. Working with you when you was brought into the officials team has been an honor and made me appreciate the things you do on the effort you put in and all the things you do behind the scene. 

i honestly thought I would’ve been able to fit into di when I did join if Paul kurt n Ashley was more active but it was just that every time I’m on TeamSpeak it was all politic talk so that pretty much burnt me out of the community.

Do you think my calling style would’ve fit into DI?

how far would DI have gone if di had tempest callers?

how do you feel about taking a much smaller role than your previous role where everything had to go through you, is it more relaxing and less stressful? Or you feel like you still do too much and might be burnt out.

I think you'd have been a good caller in DI yea because even though you're not a Milad type caller you'd have really helped us in CWA where we struggled. You rarely hesitate when calling which is something some of ours had a problem with.

Probably a lot further. We had Paul who was a good CWA caller but school was hurting his activity at the time. Our really bad CWA streak was literally all down to lack of callers. Some events CWAs we were going into with Olde as the only caller and he wasn't an F2P caller for sure. Good calling would have raised our quality. We might have beat RoT in the Jcup 30v30

It suits me a lot better now. I can log off when I want. I can go to bed early if I want. Lets me focus on the things I want to do and not have to be on top of everything all the time.

• Like 1

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

6 minutes ago, Brian said:

Floundering in what sense? Everyone was dropping numbers then except RoT. Obviously RoT was on a campaign to recruit from all clans at that stage. I think that caused a lot of unease in nearly all clans.

I guess I should rephrase this whole question; 

Olde's DI pulled a 'Weekend at Bernie's' with the corpse of DI, pretty much continuing everything that was set up previously with very little change. It was obvious that it was going to go nowhere, and I was surprised it lasted as long as it did. That leads me to believe that the issues that led to DI dying were around before Olde's DI.

What issues do you think there were that caused DI to set down the path towards closure? As leader, I'm sure you knew where the shortcomings were and how to best work around them. 

Spoiler

P.S. Your leadership was great, and even at the end I still had the utmost respect for you as a leader. It was cool to finally be DI 10+ years later after I tried as a kid, no matter if the clan wasn't the same. I probably should have been more proactive and constructive than I was, maybe it could have made a difference maybe not.