What's your ideal number of days working in-person?

Howl

WFH Preferences  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Must be a common theme because they were talking about this today while I listened to the radio. I guess the pandemic had an affect of people not wanting to return to the grind after working from home.

Not sure if you heard. I was leader of The BlacKnights.

877ed46287d54a0fea10edf2d2defff8.png

iDPoiRL.png

would rather work in the office, id get distracted at home tbh

SnaptiK#0145

Chivalry Legions Elite - Ex-Chivalry Legions Council
Ex-Ancient Fury Applicant Ex-Zerg Unit Member

Ex-Australian Army Co-Leader - Ex-Kill Orgy Senior Member - Ex-TKO Blitz Member

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Da Bazz said:

The amount of chitchat / noise in the office is crazy and really cuts into the amount and quality of work I can complete, the focus just isn't there.

Think a lot of people overlook this too. Sure I like chatting with people about the match last night or whatever but when you're deep into something and someone comes over for a chat it's really annoying.

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

3 hours ago, Da Bazz said:

I don't agree that WFM is problematic at all. There are advantages and disadvantages to both types.

The efficiency of our team and myself is far higher in terms of work completion when we work from home. I can focus far better on a single task at home than in the office since I don't get distracted by random things all the time. The amount of chitchat / noise in the office is crazy and really cuts into the amount and quality of work I can complete, the focus just isn't there. At first I thought I would get distracted easily when working from home but it was nowhere near the same level of distraction I felt whenever I was in the office this summer. Secondly when working from home chats are generally more 'professional' as well, when the teams are on MS Teams together or even in a 1-on-1. Online we get to the point fast or skip the small talk altogether. That professionalism, fast to the point style of meetings / talks, allows everyone to get back to their main task quickly and subsequently complete it faster.

That said I actually love the random chats with my colleagues, many of whom I considered more as friends than colleagues before Covid. I think it's good to have some level of intimacy with your colleagues lives as it creates more trust and that generally helps working together more (easier to approach each other for any and all questions). I miss those talks about livelihoods and that's why I dislike being stuck at home all the time.

If you find yourself easily distracted at home (and/or in the office) then you probably aren't challenged enough and should look for something else / talk to your manager about it. I get distracted as well from time to time and that's 100% because whatever task I'm doing at the moment doesn't excite me, doesn't challenge me or in my eyes is simply boring. It sounds like your job drains all your energy instead of just a little bit. Most of my days I get energy after working for a full day, those are the days I look forward to and so should you.

There is no excuse to not look for a better job if your current one drains the life out of you.

I want to work in the office 2-3 days a week. I live 10 minutes from work by bike so commute isn't a thing for me and that is definitely a big part of why I don't mind going to the office. If only the bank stops mandating work from home every time the government decides to implement any restrictions on general life that'd be great... I've been working from home ONLY since mid October and I'm fully expecting to be working from home until March / April 2022...

It's not just about people getting distracted. Having to coach people through any minor hiccups or difficulties remotely is a pain in the ass. On the topic of people getting distracted... People might seem less distracted at home but that's likely only due to the fact that when they're distracted at home, they're often able to be distracted while entertaining themselves. Meanwhile when people are distracted in the office their options are often limited to simple options such as stealthily playing with their phones like school children. It might seem like everyone at the meeting is focused and listening but half the time people aren't particularly bothered with paying attention.

I dislike the issues with chit-chat and giving people excuses for not being able to focus. Those are personal issues stemming from lack of self-control. It's not up to your workplace to provide you with "greater challenges" to keep you entertained and stimulated. It's up to you to focus and complete the task at hand. 

Agree with the bit about the leaving if you're unhappy, assuming you're in a financially stable and the usual. I can also understand the bit about the commute. I feel that's a major reason for most people.

nraLl5G.gif

pleasework.gif

Spoiler

fWDZKUX.pngv629BYZ.gif

2OJwmTS.gif

I always had an hour + commute to offices, so WFH is nice.  I don't see myself going back to an office unless I'm in the position to bring on staff that would be junior enough to require on-site interactions.

TbAn2mL.png

it depends on the workplace environment tbh, i know a few people who rather go to office because their home somehow can get a bit stressful (due to family beefs etc)

the last office I've worked at were so chill and easygoing and comfy i didnt mind doing 5/5 on site, not at all 

7jmTOjL.png     

4 hours ago, Brian said:

Think a lot of people overlook this too. Sure I like chatting with people about the match last night or whatever but when you're deep into something and someone comes over for a chat it's really annoying.

I just get [urgent] pings from people and it ultimately becomes no different

7UeTgyB.png

award.png.c75c7de1112b9f9037829890f77809d1.png

don't be the third whale

8 hours ago, Howl said:

I just get [urgent] pings from people and it ultimately becomes no different

I always respond eventually but the older I get the less serious I take things being "urgent" lol

• Like 1

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png