The Invasion of Ukraine

Vanuckle

8 hours ago, Ace said:

Yeah, besides that China tends to be more aggressive when they're having economic struggles. And it makes sense. Why should they bother getting their hands dirty with military operations when things are going their way? The only reason for them to exert force is when they find it necessary, otherwise it's just a waste of resources to them.

unknown.png

Except that China flying over Taiwan's airspace is nothing unusual. I highly doubt China would go to war with Taiwan within the coming weeks. Unlike Ukraine, the US would defend Taiwan and China is not stupid on these types of decisions. What is happening with China and Taiwan should not be ignored and is concerning, but I would avoid sensationalizing and connecting jets flying over Taiwan with the events occurring in Ukraine.

Oh and here's what the Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ) looks like for East Asia. You can see that both China's and Taiwan's airspace overlaps, so it's not surprising that they have jets flying in each other's zones.

eW4sbMe.png

• Like 2

bgu6onV.png

UKCsls0.png

CqiVbBZ.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/703876074005594133/823430131716587590/kwonsig.png

4 hours ago, Brian said:

Looks like tanks will be rolling on Kiev today

I gave them til Sunday, they put up one hell of a fight and I didn't expect them to last this long but looks like it's over tonight. Then the rebel wars begin.

oha1HPn.png

5nPWTc4.png

image.png.98e814b7804dc8ab9c1af32bc23ac648.png

Grand Miracle Wizard of the Far-Right Sea Templar's Party | Bringing racism back into RS clanning since 2023.

l4u0tPk.png

spacer.png

RSN: Knight Frank

Leader of REIGN community since 2004 - Undisputably the best gaming community in history.

An absolute shitload of rank ones/top10 rankings in multiple games. Now too busy.

https://www.twitch.tv/Toffee_Latte

On 2/24/2022 at 8:47 AM, Brian said:

Sanctions aren't gonna do shit. Only reason this is happening is because the West "allowed it" to happen. End of the day they don't really care about Ukraine. If the West was serious about stopping it they would have put troops on the ground before the Russians rolled in. Too late now.

although i see where you're coming from completely, curious as to why you think this, the second the west/nato put troops on the ground in ukraine, that gives putin a reason to go all out, sounds a bit irresponsible and reckless doesn't it?

I think the main reason Biden stresses "our Nato allies" so much and how there won't be US soldiers rolling into Ukraine or anything, is because of how unpopular military intervention abroad is back at home. Kinda stupid, considering the US has been fine intervening offensively (or helping with such interventions) all around the world and it rarely makes the news, but now when it comes to stopping a megalomaniac despot, they're so worried about the optics.

• Like 1

uE3dJ81.png

iA0XAqV.png

Fools / CU / DI / FF / Elu Warlord – TT Captain – TKO / TB / Desc / Tempy Member

15 hours ago, Icedragon D said:

Except that China flying over Taiwan's airspace is nothing unusual. I highly doubt China would go to war with Taiwan within the coming weeks. Unlike Ukraine, the US would defend Taiwan and China is not stupid on these types of decisions. What is happening with China and Taiwan should not be ignored and is concerning, but I would avoid sensationalizing and connecting jets flying over Taiwan with the events occurring in Ukraine.

Oh and here's what the Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ) looks like for East Asia. You can see that both China's and Taiwan's airspace overlaps, so it's not surprising that they have jets flying in each other's zones.

eW4sbMe.png

Yes, because Taiwan is raising their alert levels for no reason. We know the air space overlaps. You seem to think this is all simply because of the jets flying over what is pierced to be shared air space. 

You're forgetting other details such as China kindly mentioning how Taiwan is nothing like Ukraine or how within the last week China's ministry of defense has stated that outside interference with their business(and before anyone decides to play dumb, read between the lines, business means taking back what they believe is theirs) with Taiwan will not be tolerated. Oh and let's not forget that on Chinese social media, specially Weibo, their version of twitter a large portion of the Chinese population is mocking the west currently for their handling of Ukraine. Sure, there are some that are sympathetic but a lot of them geniunely think we are weak for our lack of action.

Besides that, never forget that Beijing has laid claims to Taiwan and vowed in the past that it will take control of the island, even by force if necessary. You say I'm sensationalizing the concept of a Chinese takeover of Taiwan. I'm calling you naive. Your response is the same response many had given to the concept of Russia invading Ukraine and look what happened there. 

Maybe it won't happen any time soon. Maybe I'm wrong. Hasn't been the first time nor would it be the last. But there's a definite possibility of it happening in the near future. 

Edited by Ace
  • honk 1

nraLl5G.gif

pleasework.gif

Spoiler

fWDZKUX.pngv629BYZ.gif

2OJwmTS.gif

China's communist party set a timeline of a "unified China" by 2050, and there are reports that Xi isn't happy with the global destabilization resulting from Putin's rash and (according to many) unwise decision.

China's been preparing to make a play for Taiwan sooner or later (including with their measured verbal responses to this invasion), but I don't think we need to worry about it right this moment.

Edit: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/25/of-course-i-worry-shockwaves-from-ukraine-reach-taiwan

Edited by S3lvah

uE3dJ81.png

iA0XAqV.png

Fools / CU / DI / FF / Elu Warlord – TT Captain – TKO / TB / Desc / Tempy Member