W13

W13

If you had to build a staff of 5 people you’ve met online to run some sort of website/forum, who would you pick?

What’s your biggest life regret?

7UeTgyB.png

award.png.c75c7de1112b9f9037829890f77809d1.png

don't be the third whale

What do you think will be most different about the world in 5 years?

7UeTgyB.png

award.png.c75c7de1112b9f9037829890f77809d1.png

don't be the third whale

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, S3lvah said:

Hi! You've been a familiar name since 2001–2002, basically. I faintly remember this old crappy Flash RS animation of you and leaders of other fansites duking it out, haha.

1. How did coexisting with RuneHQ, Tip.it, Sal's etc. feel on the zero-sum rivalry vs. complementarity spectrum?

2. Did RS Wiki make the right move leaving Fandom (ex. Wikia) and becoming independent, and should other wikias follow their example?

3. What was/were your favorite aspect(s) about RS when you still played it?

4. Is there any kind of magic/feeling you feel that was lost from RS after the early years – or was it just the feeling of initial discovery that was never going to be permanent?

5. What should a university graduate do to prepare for AI obsoleting so many jobs? (I'm a chem. eng. PhD student, but you can generalize)

6 (Bonus Q). Have you had any memorable dreams about RS or another game? Like about discovering new areas, conquering challenges in it, etc.

1. It was sometimes kind of fun to have "rivals". Competition often breeds innovation.

2. Sure, but it was obvious to me from the beginning: you're signing up to a huge for-profit corporation's website and handing them tons of free content. This is a corporation with no care about your game, the community, gamers, etc. and all they want is to squeeze every last penny.

3. Early on, it was fun to trade and get rich. It was easier to make money - just buying low and selling high, before things got so structured. I enjoyed exploring and questing in the newb days. Later, I enjoyed anything new that'd come out - and speculating on what should come out next. I did enjoy some time in the Wildy... but I was never too good at it. Then later, boss fights were interesting for a while.

4. I had a huge attachment to RuneScape growing up and there was definitely a magical feeling. But, it went away. It's like looking back on a past ex you dont care for anymore. You loved them hard at one point, but now, they're like a nobody and you can do so much better.

5. Get a job working with AI. Pivot your career, take some courses on AI, machine learning, predictive modeling, cloud, etc. and get in on the action. If you're a chem engineering PhD student, you can probably become an RA on a cross-disciplinary study with Comp.Sci researchers working with modeling. (tbh, it was called "advanced statistical analysis" and then it was called "machine learning" and "modeling" and now it's just all called "AI". People are literally calling logistic regression "AI" now. It's a buzz word. So just publish a paper or two where the title says "AI" and then get into a company working on implementing "AI" methods in your industry)

6. Dreams? Like, actual dreams? lol. I often had dreams of mining ore, and wake up angry because I didn't gain any XP from it because it was all a dream.

2 hours ago, Howl said:

Do you have any favorite artists (ie painters)?

What kind of music do you like? Favorite band?

I don't know much about art to have a favorite. I like to look at artwork though. But I ain't no Antiques Roadshow.

According to Spotify, I listened to like 80 genres of music last year. I didn't even know there were that many genres. I have an entire playlist of Afrobeats. I have an entire playlist of Country songs, 60s songs, 90s hits, 2000s hits. Heck, I even got Taylor Swift in there. It all depends on my mood.: could be Red Hot Chilli Peppers one day, 50 Cent or Green Day another day, Burna Boy when I feel like it, and Queen or my Indonesian songs playlist another day. So I don't have any favorites.

2 hours ago, Howl said:

What would your death row meal be?

A sack of corn kernels... so when the switch is flipped, everybody gets a nice surprise... 

2 hours ago, Howl said:

If you had to build a staff of 5 people you’ve met online to run some sort of website/forum, who would you pick?

What’s your biggest life regret?

No idea - depends on the subject matter. I don't know enough people lol.

Biggest life regret ... hmm... probably being lazy in high school. It made life harder after it. When we're 16, 17 years old... we don't fully realize that like the movie Inception, every hour we waste during high school is like a year wasted in real life. I envy people who did really well in high school, and then got scholarships and went to great colleges. Even if they struggled in college, they did alright in the end, and had stable lives. I went to college many years after high school... and medicine takes so long... so by the time I graduated from everything, I was so far behind. I kinda have RuneScape to thank for sucking up all my time during high school lol. Bittersweet.

I have other regrets in life. But dwelling on regrets is futile. Or so I keep telling myself. It's always better to worry about stuff that's in your control still.

2 hours ago, Howl said:

What do you think will be most different about the world in 5 years?

- We will not know what is real or synthetic: whether a picture was actually taken or made by AI. And at some point, we'll stop caring. 

- Imagine looking through a family photo album and AI has outpainted and inpainted so much that you can actually (using VR) step into the picture as if it's a window... and relive those moments.

- Nobody will ever truly "die". They will be preserved forever on their Facebook profile pages like Harry Potter paintings. AI would've created a copy of them using all their life's data. So, you'd be able to speak to somebody who has died. And you'd be able to speak to celebrities who don't want to talk to you. And here's the crazy part: you'd be able to have virtual ceks with them, and we aren't talking just Only Fans models... but even people like Mike Pence.

- People won't discuss "new movies" or "new songs" anymore. There won't be such a thing. We'd have these generated for us on the fly. Might take closer to 10 years.

- We'll have mind-reading headsets that let us ... (ok, this is a good 15 to 20 years away)...  communicate with anyone, anywhere. And we won't use words. Instead, we'll use feelings and ideas and the bandwidth will be huge. Spock-style transfer of memories, feelings, etc. This vastly increased bandwidth, with many connected brains working together in a huge worldwide network, augmented by AI, we'll develop a level of abstraction unimaginable today. Something like nirvana/moksha level of enlightenment. And of course, it'll turn sexual and there'll be brain orgies happening everywhere.

2 hours ago, molen said:

What's your spice tolerance?  

My tongue can handle quite a bit - like even Thai-level spiciness. My stomach can handle regular hot wings but nothing that requires a waiver or is called "suicide". My butthole can't handle shit. Unfortunate but sometimes sacrifices must be made and tribute has to be paid.

Edited by W13
  • Like 2

It's been more than 2 decades of RuneScape, Do you still love it? RuneScape in General

Callisto_cub.png?d6057Kalphite_princess.png?d8722Kalphite_princess_(2nd_form).png?80b36Pet_chaos_elemental.png?e2d9bPet_dagannoth_rex.png?e2d9bPet_dagannoth_supreme.png?e2d9bPet_general_graardor.png?85699Pet_k'ril_tsutsaroth.png?fe846Pet_kree'arra.png?f3f6aPet_kraken.png?85699Pet_smoke_devil.png?fe846Skotos.png?52875Tangleroot.png?52875

brPYCcA.gif
1095186697551085638.webp?size=44&quality
OTP | Barrow Slayerz | RIP Peck | Beach Bros Unit
🇲🇾

Spoiler

SG9UgzJ.gif

3BOIKPl.png

Walk Here Isndar (level-126) / 3 more options

1095186697551085638.webp?size=96&quality

3 minutes ago, Isndar said:

It's been more than 2 decades of RuneScape, Do you still love it? RuneScape in General

It is remarkable how it's clung on. I think it's a great game even compared to many games today. It's very unique still and is instantly recognizable while many other RPGs all look similar to each other.

Gaming industry has also changed: competition in the MMORPG market has dwindled as many players moved to casual and MMOFPS. So, even though RuneScape suffered a loss, there were fewer and fewer competitors in the MMORPG arena too and RuneScape is already such a massive game that it's hard to create a totally new game from the ground-up to match it.

What do you think about 3rd party clients (like Runelite) with built-in guides (quest helper, clue scroll solver) essentially replacing the need for community-created guides/help sites like fansites, wiki, or youtube?

It seems like the smartest of the old warring clan community are out in the world doing great things its good to see that. Would you ever come back to the game at all? What do you think it would take to revive the love of warring like back in the old days when we were kids and that joy of dominating everyone in the wilderness for the top spots? What do you think would be good to recommend to bring into the game content wise to reignite that fire to clan up and go at it again like the old days?

bf718b6c285b0500bc31c9ba6cb3c9a0.jpg

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, True 2k8 said:

what kind of passion projects do you want to undertake in the future?

I have a partially started fantasy novel which I don't think I'll ever finish because now there's AI and I'd be tempted to have it help me write. And it won't even matter because by next year it'll be able to write better than me.

Other than that, I'd like to run a small cafe and live on top of it. Seems romantic and European. 

I would like to get involved in some sort of health-tech startups eventually. Nobody has called yet.

16 hours ago, Nini said:

What do you think about 3rd party clients (like Runelite) with built-in guides (quest helper, clue scroll solver) essentially replacing the need for community-created guides/help sites like fansites, wiki, or youtube?

We had "clients" before and I've taken apart and modified the official client all the way back in the early days. Zybez also hosted a couple of "clients" (both online and downloadable) - but not ones that replace the actual RuneScape applet (client) because that remained against their rules. Now they seem to allow it. (from what I gather with this Runelite thing) Not surprising. Other games have allowed this for eons. I don't have much sympathy for fansites anymore. If players can get information faster, then why not.

15 hours ago, Morgie said:

How often to you miss Zybez and get the urge to make a new forums? 

I miss the fun times, coding new features, working on the database and server, etc., and watching Zybez/RSC grow and generate tons of content. -- I don't miss the business side of things. I don't miss dealing with Jagex. I don't miss the anxiety of not knowing - or being woken up in the middle of the night because the server crashed or something.

9 hours ago, True 2k8 said:

what are your favorite subreddits?

Believe it or not, I don't really use Reddit much. I'll use it for specific things I'm searching for - but for browsing, not any more. I used to follow a few news-related ones and some memes related ones, and a few that I can't mention, but I got bored of wasting so much time on them. The same thing happened to me on Quora - but I genuinely entertained myself giving people poor life advice. Reddit is usually more critical of that, but Quora was not.

9 hours ago, Nanne30 said:

@W13

Did @Wee Man do it?

She absolutely did. It was painful.

9 hours ago, India777 said:

It seems like the smartest of the old warring clan community are out in the world doing great things its good to see that. Would you ever come back to the game at all? What do you think it would take to revive the love of warring like back in the old days when we were kids and that joy of dominating everyone in the wilderness for the top spots? What do you think would be good to recommend to bring into the game content wise to reignite that fire to clan up and go at it again like the old days?

I might play Rs again. I don't rule that out. If there's content that I can enjoy without grinding first, I'd be down. Not now but eventually...

I'm not an expert but I think whenever stuff happens organically, it's better. When Jagex or whoever facilitates and forces it, it often fails or loses steam fast.

6 hours ago, Ace said:

Thoughts on Cory in the House?

You have activated the "kid holding invisible item in his hands" meme in my head.

Edited by W13