W13

W13

Heyya W13, welcome back to RS and Tempest OSRS

I have a few questions for you, the typical 5 W's

1) When you went to Singapore decade ago, how did you find it? Did you ever visit Malaysia while at it? What were you doing there though if you can share it

2) Why did you or the Zybez team decided to close down RuneScapeCommunity somewhere in 2016/2017 and reopened it somewhere in 2018 where most people especially clanners have move on to Reddit and their own Forums/Discord? The vibes after the closure is never the same to this day

3) What are your current thoughts of OSRS or RuneScape in general after being away for many years? do you like where the game is spearheading right now?

4) Who impacted you the most during your time in Zybez in a positive way? that may give you alot of insight or some guidance to build RSC to where it was from 2001-2011

5) Where do you think that the future of OSRS will be heading since the game does not allow MicroTransactions like RS3 does. Do you think Jagex or whoever owns Jagex currently can sustain the servers or the game by simple from player subs or them buying Bonds through their Online shop at Jagex?

p/s:

Spoiler

On Behalf of Clan Unity, we thank you again W13 for helping us decade ago for sponsoring a year worth of Domain for our Forums. We will never forget that.

Callisto_cub.png?d6057Kalphite_princess.png?d8722Kalphite_princess_(2nd_form).png?80b36Pet_chaos_elemental.png?e2d9bPet_dagannoth_rex.png?e2d9bPet_dagannoth_supreme.png?e2d9bPet_general_graardor.png?85699Pet_k'ril_tsutsaroth.png?fe846Pet_kree'arra.png?f3f6aPet_kraken.png?85699Pet_smoke_devil.png?fe846Skotos.png?52875Tangleroot.png?52875

brPYCcA.gif
1095186697551085638.webp?size=44&quality
OTP | Barrow Slayerz | RIP Peck | Beach Bros Unit
🇲🇾

Spoiler

SG9UgzJ.gif

3BOIKPl.png

Walk Here Isndar (level-126) / 3 more options

1095186697551085638.webp?size=96&quality

No questions from my side, but thank you for your efforts on Zybez; was truly a blessing to have such a medium for clans and anything RS related

Edited by Pietru

KxIO8xE.png

Tempest Old School

~ Dear You ~

soEu4V0.png

MHlPpb9.png

https://i.imgur.com/jHZcD6h.png

6 hours ago, W13 said:

2. Yeah, there was clearly bias. Jagex did some absolutely wild sh*t like randomly having lawyers send us a threatening letter because we were using the word "Runescape". (not kidding). Like, who treats their own supporters/fans this way?!

I might have an answer for this.

It most likely has to do with the former Mod Infinity. Prior to being a Jagex Moderator and even after becoming a Jagex Moderator he had his own fansite. Think it was called RuneZone or something. Anyways, Infinity was rather territorial, and I'd assume he was involved with that. It's very likely considering that partnered/recognized fansites had to go through him in some way if I remember correctly.

Infinity did a lot of scummy shit, and we found out that some of the legal paperwork that he dredged up for other matters(not regarding fansites) was all b.s. anyways. Nothing ever came of that to my knowledge though.

Edited by Ace

nraLl5G.gif

pleasework.gif

Spoiler

fWDZKUX.pngv629BYZ.gif

2OJwmTS.gif

Are there any skills you picked up from playing Runescape that have positively impacted your life? (e.g. fast typing, multiplying by 28 quickly)?

Do you have any fear for the physical health of humans and the potential human psychological impacts of an AI dominated society?

8UbwyZv.png

image.png.27fc9253e555dae9d60c01aac1de43b0.png

SG9UgzJ.gif

How often would users reach out to you to change their forum name? I remember reaching out to you a loooong time ago to switch my forum name to a more unique one that wasn’t being used and you actually did it. That made me so happy. 😀

image.png

11 hours ago, Pietru said:

No questions from my side, but thank you for your efforts on Zybez; was truly a blessing to have such a medium for clans and anything RS related

❤️

11 hours ago, Nanne30 said:

Cool to see this AMA, thanks for posting @W13.

How much did Curse offered you?

Did Jagex ever contacted you directly?

Did @Wee Man do it?

Did OJ Do it?

Signed an NDA, can't say 😄 

Jagex did communicate with me at different periods over time. They changed management and whoever their fansite liaison was so much that we never had a stable relationship. They would erratically change their policies. It was like dating a crazy girlfriend. One minute she wants to love you and put links to your site on the main site, the next minute she's censuring the mere mention of your fansite (the word "Zybez") in the game and banning people for trying to say it. One minute she's talking to you all friendly at RuneFest and thanking you for supporting the community, the next minute she's having lawyers sending you threatening letters about using the word "RuneScape" and screenshots from the game on your fansite about the game. 

11 hours ago, True 2k8 said:

How old are you?

In my 30s.

5 hours ago, Ace said:

I might have an answer for this.

It most likely has to do with the former Mod Infinity. Prior to being a Jagex Moderator and even after becoming a Jagex Moderator he had his own fansite. Think it was called RuneZone or something. Anyways, Infinity was rather territorial, and I'd assume he was involved with that. It's very likely considering that partnered/recognized fansites had to go through him in some way if I remember correctly.

Infinity did a lot of scummy shit, and we found out that some of the legal paperwork that he dredged up for other matters(not regarding fansites) was all b.s. anyways. Nothing ever came of that to my knowledge though.

Well that is disappointing to hear. 

1 hour ago, VirgoVaca said:

Are there any skills you picked up from playing Runescape that have positively impacted your life? (e.g. fast typing, multiplying by 28 quickly)?

Do you have any fear for the physical health of humans and the potential human psychological impacts of an AI dominated society?

1. I think so. I've been at parties in real life where some dude is telling everyone about his deep interests in English bows or whatever ("So, bow strings... you'd be surprised to know... "), and I'd just interrupt him like: ("FLAX... they're made from FLAX.") - and everybody would just think I'm well read.  - I also played D&D recently for the first time and was kind of surprised that this game which I thought was for geeks and was a bullyable offense, was basically what was used to create all RPGs including RuneScape. And they other (seasoned) D&D players were surprised I knew so much - without ever looking into D&D before.

2. I think there's room for good. In its current form, as a scientist, I feel that it will create a lot of noise in the scientific corpus of knowledge (i.e., just a flood of scientific articles written by AI which SOUND like research but they're just fluff), and a lot of issues with factuality (i.e., AI tends to lie very confidently). In the long run, I think once we develop smarter AIs and fix some of the hallucination, alignment, and token size issues, we can see lots of innovation in the healthcare field. 

As for psychological impacts of a AI dominated society: we've adapted to a mobile-dominated society, a social media-dominated society, an electricity-dominated society, etc. - so this will be like that too in some ways: our lives will change drastically: how we do things, how we interact, how we work, and how we think even. 

I think we'll be spending more and more time interacting with AI. It may cause DIRECT human-to-human interactions to suffer, as it has with social networks. AI will off-load out of thinking and decision-making we do as humans day-to-day. You want to take a trip, well AI will think of everything - the itinerary, the letter to your boss to ask for time off, your schedule, who you'll invite, what you gotta buy, etc. In fact, it may even decide for you that you want to take a trip. AI will become increasingly accurate to a point where we won't even question it. It will have incredible context about us: it'll have read all our chat logs, all your browser history, all our emails, our entire My Documents and Downloads folders, everything we've ever produced, our DNA, our transaction history from our credit card statements going back many years, our Google Maps location history and reviews, your entire Spotify listening history, and anything it doesn't know - it'll simply ask.  So, interacting with an AI that is smart enough and one who knows us better than we know ourselves, will be like speaking to a god. They'd be so smart. They'd know everything there is to know. They'd be able to answer questions and give the best answers: "What do I want to eat right now?" <-- it'd know this better than us. That is why I said that I think people will worship AIs like they worship gods in different religions today.

1 hour ago, molen said:

How often would users reach out to you to change their forum name? I remember reaching out to you a loooong time ago to switch my forum name to a more unique one that wasn’t being used and you actually did it. That made me so happy. 😀

Once a week or two. Names don't matter as they're all made up 😄 

12 hours ago, Isndar said:

Heyya W13, welcome back to RS and Tempest OSRS

I have a few questions for you, the typical 5 W's

1) When you went to Singapore decade ago, how did you find it? Did you ever visit Malaysia while at it? What were you doing there though if you can share it

2) Why did you or the Zybez team decided to close down RuneScapeCommunity somewhere in 2016/2017 and reopened it somewhere in 2018 where most people especially clanners have move on to Reddit and their own Forums/Discord? The vibes after the closure is never the same to this day

3) What are your current thoughts of OSRS or RuneScape in general after being away for many years? do you like where the game is spearheading right now?

4) Who impacted you the most during your time in Zybez in a positive way? that may give you alot of insight or some guidance to build RSC to where it was from 2001-2011

5) Where do you think that the future of OSRS will be heading since the game does not allow MicroTransactions like RS3 does. Do you think Jagex or whoever owns Jagex currently can sustain the servers or the game by simple from player subs or them buying Bonds through their Online shop at Jagex?

p/s:

Hide contents

On Behalf of Clan Unity, we thank you again W13 for helping us decade ago for sponsoring a year worth of Domain for our Forums. We will never forget that.

1. I was dating a Singaporean Canadian at the time and she had family back home in Sg. So we used to visit Sg every now and then. I did my masters degree from Malaysia so I lived there for 2 years. I also went to med school in Indonesia, so I was there for like 8 years. And yes, I'm fluent in Bahasa Indonesia and can understand Malay language. 🙂

2. I think Curse didn't want any PHP-based software on their servers- and forum software is mostly in PHP. If I remember correctly, I think that was the reason. 

3. I haven't played for a while but tbh, as a player, I enjoyed both OSRS and Rs3 (I still call it Rs3- even though it's just "RuneScape" now). I like the simplicity of OSRS. I think Rs3 is still very clunky. I'm not sure why they didn't base their game on Unity or Unreal so everything can be fluid and smooth, we can have amazing particle effects, lighting, etc.  I guess they were trying to maintain RuneScape's cartooney feel and clunky, choppy animations. As for playing the game itself: I don't like grinding - so that's why MMORPGs in general aren't appealing. I much prefer RTS or strategy games.

• heart 1

What are your general political leanings?

Do you think the gaming world’s shift away from forums to chat rooms is indicative of any general societal shifts?

What do you do in your free time?

7UeTgyB.png

award.png.c75c7de1112b9f9037829890f77809d1.png

don't be the third whale

1 hour ago, Howl said:

What are your general political leanings?

Do you think the gaming world’s shift away from forums to chat rooms is indicative of any general societal shifts?

What do you do in your free time?

I'm too insignificant and boring for politics to matter to my life for the most part. And these days, it's hard to even have political opinions without getting ostracized, canceled, or doxxed. 

We've always had "chat rooms" and we've always had forums too. They say that people's attention spans have been decreasing due to social media... so I can see that people are less interested in reading walls of text on forums. The great thing about forums is that you can have discussions over long periods of time and have some sort of organization. Reddit has done a great job in trying to find a sweet spot, and so has Twitter.

My free time is spent mostly hanging out with friends, wining and dining, etc. I like to travel. I play chess. And, when I did have more time, I rode horses, jumped rope, and watercolor painted (I wrote/painted a book).

Hi! You've been a familiar name since 2001–2002, basically. I faintly remember this old crappy Flash RS animation of you and leaders of other fansites duking it out, haha.

1. How did coexisting with RuneHQ, Tip.it, Sal's etc. feel on the zero-sum rivalry vs. complementarity spectrum?

2. Did RS Wiki make the right move leaving Fandom (ex. Wikia) and becoming independent, and should other wikias follow their example?

3. What was/were your favorite aspect(s) about RS when you still played it?

4. Is there any kind of magic/feeling you feel that was lost from RS after the early years – or was it just the feeling of initial discovery that was never going to be permanent?

5. What should a university graduate do to prepare for AI obsoleting so many jobs? (I'm a chem. eng. PhD student, but you can generalize)

6 (Bonus Q). Have you had any memorable dreams about RS or another game? Like about discovering new areas, conquering challenges in it, etc.

uE3dJ81.png

iA0XAqV.png

Fools / CU / DI / FF / Elu Warlord – TT Captain – TKO / TB / Desc / Tempy Member

Do you have any favorite artists (ie painters)?

What kind of music do you like? Favorite band?

7UeTgyB.png

award.png.c75c7de1112b9f9037829890f77809d1.png

don't be the third whale