Chicken and Chips & Cards

Jaye

What's up guys,

I would like to share with you all perhaps one of the coolest things I've ever experienced. It's quite the story. So if you care to join me, I hope you enjoy. 

- June 2020 

New Zealand is not long out of a country lock down and I had been fortunate enough to travel home and spend the time with my parents. Things were slowly getting back to normal since the rona, and the small town that I come from was starting to buzz again. Businesses were starting to reopen, including my favorite diner where I found myself grabbing a bite. I must have had a day or two left in town before I realize I haven't stopped into a local legendary shop for a pack of Magic cards. I went through a MTG phase when I was younger and again a few years ago. Whenever I come home I often stop in to buy a pack just to support the champion of an old man, Phil, who owns and runs the store. He charges more than he should, but the dude is in his 90's and I can't get over the fact he's still going all by himself. As a child it was my favorite place to spend my pocket money and here he is still to this day grafting hard. During the Lockdown, I had come across all of my cards that I collected when I was younger. It was so cool and I have always been a sucker for Nostalgia. These included Pokemon, DBZ, YuGiOh, MTG and NBA cards. While sifting through my cards I took a real hit to the feels when I come across a Kobe Bryant card that I didn't even know I had. "Did Phil still have any NBA cards?", I asked myself. All these years and I hadn't thought a blip of it. He's not a dedicated card store; but rather a variety store with a bit of everything. Since he's been in business for 50 odd years, he has an absolute abundance of stock that he's never moved. He keeps the most current MTG cards on the counter, but off to the side is an old card holder that once upon a time used to hold singles. 

MP67M02.png

Armed with my favorite fried chicken and chips, I make my way into the jam packed store and proceed to the counter to see what MTG packs are left. As you will see, he has soooo much random stock. I'm totally convinced he's partial hoarder. I have a classic exchange with Phil as per usual, but shortly leave him to finish his hot mince pie that he was half way through for lunch. Before he tucks in I ask if he still had anymore cards other than Magic, "Take a look off to the side", he says. Boy was I in for a treat. 

WQtPk5z.png

If you share a similar passion for cards or shopping for unique old bits and bobs, then you'll probably understand when I say I was having a little freak out at this point. The photo I've shared above is after I've taken out a handful of 90s NBA packs for myself. But still awesome none the less. Back in the day he never kept packs in here. But had a variety of different single cards for sale. I couldn't believe I had been so oblivious to them all this time. I literally sat down with crossed legs and had a gander at each and every one before racking up about $30-40 bucks on packs I couldn't wait to rip. With cold chicken and chips I head home and bust them open. Naturally I had a much different appreciation for them as opposed to when I was younger. No major hits, but a priceless experience nonetheless. 

That night I spent hours researching the cards I had pulled, watching videos and getting a feel for the NBA scene. Turns out, it was thriving in NZ. I shared some photos of the packs I had found in a popular card market group and all of a sudden got barrage piled in my DM's asking if I had any more to sell... This was when I knew I was onto something and had to get back to see Phil first thing the following morning. 

Phil and I got talking the following day and I shared with him the comments and messages I had received as a result of sharing the treasure I had found in his store. He was pumped. He doesn't say much, but he gave me a cheeky grin as he headed out towards the back of the shop. He came back and presented to me a fresh box, although worse for wear, it had all 36 booster packs still inside. He asked me if I would sell it for him! Fuck me days, if the guys I had shown 5 or 6 packs to online lost the plot over that, what would they say if I showed them a whole box? He offered me a good rate should I sell it, but I was short on cash and reluctant to pay him the $200 he wanted for it. Meanwhile, in walks this crackhead looking guy wearing a singlet and baggy jeans. He came in at absolute pace saying, "Have you got bum bags for sale?". While Phil fetches him a fanny pack to buy, I continue relaying the prices I'm seeing online to Phil regarding the box of cards. Next thing you know, I hear from the dude, "Are those Basketball cards bro? I collected heaps of them back in the day! Jordans, Kobes, is that a whole box bro? That's gotta be worth a fortune!". He no word of a lie, said this while stuffing a huge wad of cash into the front of his fanny pack. $10,000 dollars he later told me. He made an offer to Phil for $300 for the box take it or leave it. Phil gladly accepted and later said to me that was the most money he had seen come over the counter in years. I was so chuffed for him. He offered me some commission on the box which I declined, so he gave me some free packs. What were the chances? I was bewildered with what was happening and luckily decided to document as much as I could.  Here is a photo of Phil and his treasure, as well as the transaction while it was fresh. 

jDRfWm0.png

Shortly after the photo, the dude heads on his way. He actually had a broken leg and was walking around with one crutch; he was such a character lmao. Now came one of the best moments out of the whole experience... What did Phil say to me as soon as the front door to the shop shut? "I've got another one..." 

He took me out to the storeroom which was absolutely chocca block with stacked up cardboard boxes and all sorts of random shit fucking everywhere. I had genuine safety concerns for him. He'd be seriously fucked if that stock fell on him one day, I could hardly make my way myself. I offered to clear it out for him but it was "all for sale" he said lol. I was so happy that he trusted me to whatever it was he was going to show me; I knew it was going to be good. Nestled away at the very back of the storeroom on the top of a shelf, probably from when he first stacked them there in the early 90s, were these.... 

yCCLMyj.png

x62jJOv.png

JNvJk5B.png

Phil and I ended up working out an agreement where I would sell the cards for him. He had no computer nor did he have a cell phone.... He let me pick out 8 or so boxes to take away to sell; and I would return a week or two later and cash him up. He would give me 25% of the total and I would cover all the shipping and expenses. He had such a variety of different sealed product in various different conditions. But the NBA boxes went fucking bananas. I sold the first 8 boxes for $2300 in just under two weeks. Throughout the process of selling the boxes, I had become consumed by the NBA card market myself. Building up my own collections and buying and selling. It was such a great time and a really exciting hobby. Coming in at just over $8K total sales, Phil decided that the remainder of the boxes he wanted to keep because he was running out. Fair enough, I suppose. There was the hoarder in him haha. Together we not only made bread, but had one of the most unique experiences that I doubt I will likely get to experience again. Through it I learnt a lot, found a sweet side hustle and have been making some great friends a long the way. It's super social and there's nothing quite like flexing your personal collections to others that are among the hobby. I couldn't have dreamt of a better introduction to it all.

If you made it this far - thank you for taking the time. Please share if you have a similar tale. Maybe you have some cards hidden away? Post some pics! 

Cheers fam,

Jaye

nigga that's one stylish looking crackhead

[13:09] <+Jubita> i just don't care where he is from, idc if he has family issues or was born with mental problems. It's his problem not ours.

giphy.gif

IaUmpCU.png

That's awesome! That dude looks so wholesome.

I recently found some of my old gamecube games and @Victoria (THANKS AGAIN💙) helped me price them so that I made ~$500 total on about 8 of them. Gonna try and donate the rest of them or something similar that are $20 and below.

image.png.7e4d02dbe21f2ee7188add6d535c8143.png