Clan Wars/J Cup

Adam_

6 minutes ago, Wee Man said:

I agree. Sadly Jagex aren't able to do enforce that lmfao. Steam client is unfinished and awful.

Yeah, steam client enforcement would be a bit far, most of you on steam hate and you know it lol; but then we have the issue most of our steam users can't use the default client (urgent to be fixed issues btw lol). But the joy of this game running on standalone clients now instead of an in browser web applet goes a lot way. Can just do what a lot of other games do and fuck with the opcodes every week to force clients to need an update before they can load the game whilst stating they're not longer supporting or endorsing these clients. I don't think they're aware of the extent of some of these plugins, if they are hope is lost cos they're ignoring it. They went apeshit at OSBuddy back in the day for some of the stuff on it. You'd be surprised how many devs will say "nah I ain't risking it" at the possibility of being chased around over interlectual property or running around fixing opcode issues every single patch. I know the FF mod makers are so tired of that shit over there because SE literally force hotfixes sometimes just as an excuse to break everyones plugins cos its the only answer they have atm lol. I mean Jagex's track record of sending bot makers Cease and Desist and watching them fall apart is pretty good.

Edited by Lavigne
  • Like 1

oha1HPn.png

5nPWTc4.png

image.png.98e814b7804dc8ab9c1af32bc23ac648.png

Grand Miracle Wizard of the Far-Right Sea Templar's Party | Bringing racism back into RS clanning since 2023.

l4u0tPk.png

spacer.png

RSN: Knight Frank

Leader of REIGN community since 2004 - Undisputably the best gaming community in history.

An absolute shitload of rank ones/top10 rankings in multiple games. Now too busy.

https://www.twitch.tv/Toffee_Latte

3 hours ago, Wee Man said:

On release the pathing in OSRS worked exactly the same as it used to do in RS2 i.e. you could hug and trap attackers around objects making tanking much more nuanced and skilful. You could pretty much use any objects in game to perform that on; rocks, trees, walls etc. Early on after OSRS's release they polled a pathing QoL update which passed. I can't remember nor find which update it happened in but I remember a discussion in the UNC on Zybez involving CWA and that update after the fact. What people didn't realise at the time of the poll is that it'd completely remove the ability to hug players like before. That pretty much paved the way for the plateau map in CWA to become the default choice for most clans since why bother using all these fancy landscapes when in practice all the extra scenery was just cosmetic at best and annoying at worst. The classic map recently made a comeback due to meta evolving to include an emphasis on portal control which most clans couldn't cope with very well apart Rev and Tempest.

In basic terms the pathing update made it so that when targeting another player (attacking for example) instead of getting trapped on the wall your player would automatically run around it and "stick" to your opponent. Now that this has been in the game for a good 8 years or so now there'll be zero chance Jagex would want to fuck with it at all, especially with all the sweaty PvMers using pathing to their advantage. Maybe they could add it back to normal just in CWA/Wilderness but I don't see them putting the work in just to appease some old school PvPers.

EDIT: FOUND IT:

Polled in April 2013 (Literally the 2nd OSRS Poll)

vKv8r2n.png

Update released Dec 17th 2013, Clan wars came out in June the following Summer:

https://oldschool.runescape.wiki/w/Update:Christmas_Holiday_Event

lnHn012.png

yea i don't think they could even make pathfinding work differently in some areas of the game compared to others though i could be wrong (they've talked a lot about how making certain items have diff behaviors in wildy vs. elsewhere is a pain and other similar things, and this would probably be much more significant), and as you said after 8 yrs of it being this way, it's unlikely to change especially since it would basically be reverting what probably 95% of the game consider a massive qol update so the return of hugging is probably a dead dream

as for the clients i agree steam isn't great, but i think cheat clients are worse and steam is the only way to ensure a level playing field especially when a lot of people can't even play on clients that aren't steam like lavigne said. while i imagine it wouldn't be too fun, surely it's still better than having a bunch of monkeys have their client fight for them right? especially if it's only for one event/series of fights, even if it is a major event like the jcup, is steam not still preferable ? 

edit: actually @Da Bazz 's post with the tweet confirms what i assumed about them not being able to make pathfinding function differently in the areas you specified so yeah, dead dream 

Edited by Adam_

bunnyguestsig.png.ccdc0f4d74bc49d76625f95f77126600.png

sig.png.a653e4eb38f8831b6fe065620d30b252.png

underscore.png.983945ced2a331aa1d4ec31de5913c92.png

imkhetnai.png.18510f16e5ac66a3d1aa91c007faa2de.png

lithmigos.png.bb04c57946f75d035b102720bba28d3c.png

vanuckle.png.063402cc210fcc01769876c062581050.png

daveold.png.fe31d53c54985d7c3f7687a5fea5e8c4.png

On the subject of clients, for some tournament they hosted previously (I think it was like some 5vs5 tournament, some AF affiliated guys won it?) didn't they have a client that could only connect to that server. They could probably do something similar for the Jcup if they really cared about "cheating", etc. Not that they would.

• Like 1

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

4 minutes ago, Brian said:

On the subject of clients, for some tournament they hosted previously (I think it was like some 5vs5 tournament, some AF affiliated guys won it?) didn't they have a client that could only connect to that server. They could probably do something similar for the Jcup if they really cared about "cheating", etc. Not that they would.

not sure about this, but if true, that would be preferable 

bunnyguestsig.png.ccdc0f4d74bc49d76625f95f77126600.png

sig.png.a653e4eb38f8831b6fe065620d30b252.png

underscore.png.983945ced2a331aa1d4ec31de5913c92.png

imkhetnai.png.18510f16e5ac66a3d1aa91c007faa2de.png

lithmigos.png.bb04c57946f75d035b102720bba28d3c.png

vanuckle.png.063402cc210fcc01769876c062581050.png

daveold.png.fe31d53c54985d7c3f7687a5fea5e8c4.png

52 minutes ago, Brian said:

If it's what I'm thinking of it's vaguely familiar, you had a client essentially loaded only with the tournament world but it gave you maxed 126 when you logged in. Issue is like anything else with how smart people are now, they'll get the client, get the data they want out of it to find the IP/address for the server, and just get their own client to load it and you're back to square one.

Think this also a similar issue to pathing, it's the fucking limitations of Java, there's only so much they can and can't stop us from doing. 

oha1HPn.png

5nPWTc4.png

image.png.98e814b7804dc8ab9c1af32bc23ac648.png

Grand Miracle Wizard of the Far-Right Sea Templar's Party | Bringing racism back into RS clanning since 2023.

l4u0tPk.png

spacer.png

RSN: Knight Frank

Leader of REIGN community since 2004 - Undisputably the best gaming community in history.

An absolute shitload of rank ones/top10 rankings in multiple games. Now too busy.

https://www.twitch.tv/Toffee_Latte