Clan Wars/J Cup

Adam_

What if any improvements or fixes do you feel should be made to clan wars as the content currently is? New maps? New rulesets/modes? Any changes?

Snare off as an option.

ALL 3rd party clients should be bannable.

Ability to have a BO3 option where it automatically rechallenges with the same rules after the round finishes, you then have 3 minutes to bank, get back inside the portal and then the wall drops for the match to begin again.

+/- option ie if one clan has more than 20 inside than the other clan, they win.

How do you think cheating and shared members will be addressed during the j cup?

AF v ROT will be a DDoS fest. Shareds will fight on spares so it's not really easy to handle.

Do you see the likely inability to pull 100 for some clans being an issue in the j cup ?

If you can't pull 100 you can't enter the fullout. I think only TE, REV, ROT and AF can compete in this category. Even with Wilderland calling everyone whos retired they wont get over 80 and the quality of their fringe players will just get them wiped out. It's not worth it. I don't think the fullout category is still worth having nor relevant. 

Do you think there will be near as many fights in clan wars as there are now after the j cup or will it probably die out?

F2P wild is rarely crashed atm and is picking up in popularity.

Who do you think is taking the W(s) in the J cup in the various categories?

F2P

100v100 ROT/AF

30v30 TE

20v20 TE

10v10 Anyones game

5v5 why does this exist

P2P

100v100 AF/ROT

30v30 AF

20v20 AF

10v10 AF

5v5 AF

Do you prefer wilderness action or clan wars?

Clan Wars atm. You can get a clear winner in CLW but in Wilderness it just feels so repetitive over the hour since you don't know the kdr result until it's over and just feels like a meaningless waste of rune now. 

Edited by Lavigne
  • Like 2

oha1HPn.png

5nPWTc4.png

image.png.98e814b7804dc8ab9c1af32bc23ac648.png

Grand Miracle Wizard of the Far-Right Sea Templar's Party | Bringing racism back into RS clanning since 2023.

l4u0tPk.png

spacer.png

RSN: Knight Frank

Leader of REIGN community since 2004 - Undisputably the best gaming community in history.

An absolute shitload of rank ones/top10 rankings in multiple games. Now too busy.

https://www.twitch.tv/Toffee_Latte

2 hours ago, Macleran said:

P2P

100v100 AF

30v30 AF

20v20 FL

10v10 FL

5v5 FL

F2P

100v100 AF

30v30 Tempest/AF

20v20 Tempest/AF/Rev

10v10 Tempest/AF/Rev/FL

5v5 Tempest/AF/Rev/FL

interesting choices for P2p, dont be surprised when tempest causes a few upsets in the p2p categories (we are extremely elite)

• Like 1
  • bank 1

am9lyUI.jpg

jR2KODn.png

image.png

mYDO4EM.png

image.png.73b47520764ae9a63c2df2f3bba2b0fb.png

What if any improvements or fixes do you feel should be made to clan wars as the content currently is? New maps? New rulesets/modes? Any changes?

Not much that I can anticipate Jagex actually implementing. Would be awesome to have hugging back / snares removed but I asked that on the MMK AMA and he said those things are probably here to stay. Even just a better globe in the classic map so that we can view better.

How do you think cheating and shared members will be addressed during the j cup?

Require all clans to submit a clan list 7 days before the fight. Log ins (ie; email or log in name) only allowed in one submitted clan. Pretty easily solution for shareds. Not much you can do about secondary accounts.

Do you see the likely inability to pull 100 for some clans being an issue in the j cup?

It'll be an issue for them, yeah, lol.

Do you think there will be near as many fights in clan wars as there are now after the j cup or will it probably die out?

It'll die out after the JCup almost certainly.

I'd have better predictions closer to the Cup. 

Like them both equally for different reasons.

• Like 2

xD1G9fN.png

h0cvjf1.png

fPBTJ1M.png

m1RdWMG.png

sZLnSGx.png

xLYsTpv.png

DStPJf3.jpg

303CDqC.png

4TppgnA.png

6Dfcn17.png

9AtJ6Ju.png

Not necessarily to clan wars, but mage pray should at least reduce snare time - other than that, I guess fixing hugging would be interesting.

I honestly don't think they'll care enough/be able to micromanage it. Clans always looked for ways to have advantage on others, and even if I'm personally against clients, I don't think Jagex will actually make rules about it/detect it and apply punishments which it's just sad because individual skills/quality isn't what really matter anymore. From the perspective of a regular member, in F2P specially with snares & clients, being a good ranger/mager won't have such a big impact compared to before.

Do you see the likely inability to pull 100 for some clans being an issue in the j cup?

Not a single PvP clan have a 150ish active men memberlist anymore, so definitely. Being able to pull 100 people with retireds/guests will be impossible to a lot of clans, and with that being said would be smart to redo categories. It's fine to keep 100v100, but there should be more categories so more clans could take part & compete on it, like 60v60, 50v50, 40v40, 30v30 etc.

I wish clan wars action just increased with time, but it's hard to say really. It'll probably decrease after Jcup (if it actually happens heh) but I don't think it's dying as long as people keep having a good time/enjoying it.

Don't really know about specific categories, but: P2P - I think AF will be sweeping it or taking most categories / F2P - AF should also do well here and get at least 100v100, smaller categories should be really competitive between AF/REV/WL/Tempest.

I really enjoy both. Wilderness fights are really nostalgic and I find them fun specially in high opts. I don't care about it being a 1v1/cluster or whatever really. As for clan wars, it's pretty much the place where quality is supposed to be shown and from there determine who's the better clan/team, so it's also necessary. Uncappeds were a lot of fun back in the days, but we were all young and fight formats were also different - stuff like ragging, bringing adamant, 4-iteming without skulls and outlast tactics in general weren't efficient because returning was way slower, meaning that it was actually possible to clear someone. There was also KDR tracker which could show which clan actually performed better regardless of numbers/outlasting.

Edited by D96
  • Like 2

gucpsM8.gif

I'd like them to fix the ability to hug people off via obstacles again. It was broken during a pathing update early on in OSRS and it was considered a QoL update for the rest of the game so the hugging ended up getting overlooked. If this was fixed I could see the turret map (as long as they remade it to match the original) making a comeback along with classic (more so than now).

It won't sadly. People will bring randoms and most clans have a pool of spares they can put people on if need be. If you're expecting some sort of well thought out and meticulously planned event from Jagex then you haven't been paying attention to their attempts in the past both in the Jcup and in DMM.

Do you see the likely inability to pull 100 for some clans being an issue in the j cup ?

No, everyone who wants to compete in the full out will go to any lengths to pull the 100 needed.

If the Jcup was to become a regular event again then CWA will continue to grow and have an active group of clans using it just to keep sharp and in practice for the next one.

A month ago I would have said us (Tempest) by far but WL, AF and Rev have all stepped their game up massively in our recent fights so it's all to play for. Apparently Rage are quite a tough opponent as well but I've yet to go up against them or see them fight.

I'm leaning more towards CWA than I ever have in the past. The meta is evolving with each event so it's keeping things very fresh and I love that there is a clear cut winner via accurate kills/deaths being recorded. However, if they could implement KDR accurately into the wild (only counting kills on your current opponent for example) then the Wildy would be 50x what CWA is. I think the fact that some clans will return all night and get farmed to the point where the KDR is 2:1, 3:1 or in some cases 4:1 then that kinda brings the fun down a little bit. A huge part of the fun comes from the other clan knowing they lost to us but when clans will outlast like that, still quite obviously lose horrifically, and cling onto a dead/outdated victory condition like "last man standing" as a way to convince them and everyone else they won, that lowers the fun considerably. 

Edited by Wee Man
  • Like 2

A2xdnTr.png

HNiXQu9.png

JlotNFB.gif

[32,900,047]

Wee Man#0028 | @ZybezWeeMan | Wee Man

I think it's fine as it is. I guess the only thing is, even though it's not related to the people actually fighting is better orb views. Some sort of free roam camera mode would be really nice for spectating.

As far as I remember rules in the previous edition were you could only fight in one category per account. E.G VR and AF shareds won't be able to fight in F2P all out x2, they'd have to pick a side. I think that's the fairest way to do it. Nothing will be done about cheating.

Depends on the categories. I think the majority of top clans still have the ability to pull 100. Might be a bit more difficult for clans that rely on shared members.

I don't see why not, clans/teams still want/need something to do.

Hard to say without knowing the categories. In the all outs pulling 100 is going to be key. Quality doesn't matter if you start 25 people down.

No preference, both are enjoyable

• Like 2

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

12 hours ago, Adam_ said:

Interesting, if it was a mechanical change or something with the engine then not sure if they could even make it possible again without breaking the way something else works

12 hours ago, Pietru said:

Apparently Jagex introduced a mechanic elsewhere which in turn made hugging in classic map not work as intended anymore. Which mechanic it is though I have no idea

12 hours ago, Adam_ said:

as someone not really familiar with how this was removed, was this something that was just never added to OSRS? Was it removed with a specific update? Why mechanically can this not happen anymore? (Speaking of hugging ofc) 

I thought it had something to do with pathing that works different in OSRS than it did on RS2. So that would be engine related (client-side pathing vs server-side pathing vs both). I wasn't really aware of Game Mechanics before OSRS so not sure if pathing was actually different back then. ie: L-clicks, diagonals, hugging, object collision,,... It's been an issue since CWA was released in OSRS and it hasn't been addressed so we can safely assume that it will never be fixed. I found this in 2014 but there's probably more to be found earlier:

They can 'force' clans to give a ML for each round with current RSNs. Setup a temporary server and only have the specified accounts login, and only through steam. I don't think they know how many people use the vanilla client vs runelite, osbuddy, openrs,...but they would know how many people use steam, just like they know how many people use mobile (that's valuable data for marketing).

Ddosing, extortion through doxing etc should be handled by the clans themselves and tangible proof should be provided to Jagex so they can DQ the accused clan. Ideally a 3rd party would look at the evidence because we all know that Jagex is very much corruptible.

Remove snares from F2P it's toxic also make Mage Prayer great again by halving the bind/snare time just like before. I didn't vote against it at the time but I don't think that people who did vote yes knew anything about F2P.

• Like 1

The good old days

q8MGnBE.png

Tempest 1.png

~ By B4uz ~

OujZV85.gif

~ By Ace ~

15 hours ago, Adam_ said:

as someone not really familiar with how this was removed, was this something that was just never added to OSRS? Was it removed with a specific update? Why mechanically can this not happen anymore? (Speaking of hugging ofc) 

On release the pathing in OSRS worked exactly the same as it used to do in RS2 i.e. you could hug and trap attackers around objects making tanking much more nuanced and skilful. You could pretty much use any objects in game to perform that on; rocks, trees, walls etc. Early on after OSRS's release they polled a pathing QoL update which passed. I can't remember nor find which update it happened in but I remember a discussion in the UNC on Zybez involving CWA and that update after the fact. What people didn't realise at the time of the poll is that it'd completely remove the ability to hug players like before. That pretty much paved the way for the plateau map in CWA to become the default choice for most clans since why bother using all these fancy landscapes when in practice all the extra scenery was just cosmetic at best and annoying at worst. The classic map recently made a comeback due to meta evolving to include an emphasis on portal control which most clans couldn't cope with very well apart Rev and Tempest.

In basic terms the pathing update made it so that when targeting another player (attacking for example) instead of getting trapped on the wall your player would automatically run around it and "stick" to your opponent. Now that this has been in the game for a good 8 years or so now there'll be zero chance Jagex would want to fuck with it at all, especially with all the sweaty PvMers using pathing to their advantage. Maybe they could add it back to normal just in CWA/Wilderness but I don't see them putting the work in just to appease some old school PvPers.

EDIT: FOUND IT:

Polled in April 2013 (Literally the 2nd OSRS Poll)

vKv8r2n.png

Update released Dec 17th 2013, Clan wars came out in June the following Summer:

https://oldschool.runescape.wiki/w/Update:Christmas_Holiday_Event

lnHn012.png

Edited by Wee Man
  • yikes 1

A2xdnTr.png

HNiXQu9.png

JlotNFB.gif

[32,900,047]

16 hours ago, Scleritis said:

Hopefully there's none of this this time round

owQ4lQF.png?1

Woowwwwww..... Never saw this before but that is disgusting

• Sad 1

rdFTH2V.png

Q2HE8JW.gifAdkNBbg.png

3 hours ago, Wee Man said:

Not a single soul wants to war using the Steam client.

Because almost every single soul wants to fuck around on cheat clients instead whilst using the weak argument "well everyone else has one so why shouldn't I"

No, fuck that, maybe forcing people to use steam is a little much but everyone should have to use the base OSRS client. This was the same company that took issue with a world switcher because it gave players with it an advantage over those that didn't, that was literally the mantra they wanted to die by and is still the reason macroing is not allowed. So why are people trying to defend cheat client meta. I feel like Jagex gave a fair degree with trust and autonomy when it came to allowing 3rd party clients and that trust has largely been abused. It's gone from "having one is certainly nice to play with" to "you now need one". Meanwhile we got Vanzant running circles around AF on a fucking phone. 

Also the VR ip thing sikgie0oyhmeiksaoldmkjskgntjynfscumwkhdhjshnfdhrtjktyrhahahaha real clan btw.

Edited by Lavigne
  • Like 3

oha1HPn.png

5nPWTc4.png

image.png.98e814b7804dc8ab9c1af32bc23ac648.png

Grand Miracle Wizard of the Far-Right Sea Templar's Party | Bringing racism back into RS clanning since 2023.

l4u0tPk.png

spacer.png

RSN: Knight Frank

Leader of REIGN community since 2004 - Undisputably the best gaming community in history.

An absolute shitload of rank ones/top10 rankings in multiple games. Now too busy.

https://www.twitch.tv/Toffee_Latte

4 minutes ago, Lavigne said:

everyone should have to use the base OSRS client.

I agree. Sadly Jagex aren't able to do enforce that lmfao. Steam client is unfinished and awful.

Edited by Wee Man
  • Like 2

A2xdnTr.png

HNiXQu9.png

JlotNFB.gif

[32,900,047]