When do you think the fellas will stop using fossil fuels?

Mk 17

It's an extremely complicated issue which effects every industry. You can't simply replace fossil fuels and I'm not convinced that any of the 'renewables' are as environmentally friendly (for both fauna and flora) as the media makes them out to be. The media in general is very good in simplifying issues so that less intellectual or less interested people can make up their mind. Fossil fuels are used for so much more than just energy production.

Lets look at one simply example since I've seen EV's being thrown into the discussion. Now I'm not against EV's however there are issues other than action radius, batteries etc that are important to take into the equation.

1. Tires. Your tires are made for a large part of crude oil or some extract of it. Last time I heard EVs were heavier than traditional cars. This means they will most likely eat through tires faster. I believe I read about a research that is looking into recycling of tires but I'm not sure how that has progressed.
  2. Asphalt. The weight of EVs will also make it so our asphalted roads will get a beating even more so then they already do. Asphalt is a nasty glue of damaging molecules that get thrown around into the air. At the very least the heavier vehicles will increase the fine dust particles that can lead to asthma or other respiratory annoyances.
  3. Batteries. What I am wondering is how will we produce all the materials to even make all the batteries to replace our car park? I read a research paper about recycling of old car batteries and use them for less intense consumers. This doesn't really help us however if we want to use the materials for new cars.
  4. Energy. You still recharge your car with energy. Where does this come from? Just renewable? Renewables alone are struggling to even cover the house hold energy demands. Also consider that these energy sources themselves have a multi dimensional equation. Windmills, Solar Panels have to be built/created, upkeep cost, decommissioned.
  5. ....

What I want to see is a study about resource management over multiple dimensions from multiple universities and non-profits without lobbying money. What is the cost or life-cycle of the smallest resource to car back to smallest resource. What I mean by this is the following: What is the resource cost (sum of all manufacturing materials + sum of usage + sum of decommissioning) and by cost I don't necessarily mean dollars but also the amount of resources compared to our estimation of how many resources we have of something (ie: 100 litres oil / tire against estimated 1T litres oil in the earth) (don't take those numbers by heart)

• Manufacturing: cost of all resources that are used to build an EV. Think of materials to built the chassis, make and spray the paint, tires, electronics, engine and all it's parts,...But also transportation costs, the cost to mine the minerals, the energy cost to smelt the materials and to run the factories,... This is a huge list.
  • Usage: cost of repairs, cost of new equipment, gas / new batteries,.. Remember all the things you use have their own complex cost summation.
  • Decommissioning: the cost of going back to a usable material (think remelting steel, aluminum so it can be reused). It shouldn't be just send them to India or some island and dump everything there to be burned.

The problem we face now is that we don't really know most of the usage cost and almost none of the decommissioning costs for all the renewable solutions. Most EVs won't see the end of their lives until the mid 2030's so until then you can't really make any concrete evidence based arguments on what is best. The same story for windmills, solar panels, ...

What I haven't seen mentioned yet is Nuclear energy. This in my opinion is a great proven solution that works for energy production that should really be included in the discussion.

The only reasonable argument against nuclear in my opinion is the initial cost. But governments are happy to slap absurd subsidies on all kinds of fruitless endeavors so why not use them on the development of nuclear energy instead.

• Like 1

The good old days

q8MGnBE.png

Tempest 1.png

~ By B4uz ~

OujZV85.gif

~ By Ace ~

never, i'll be damned before I give up my gas guzzling 4x4 I use to mow down leftie fukin hippies like @Scleritis with

[13:09] <+Jubita> i just don't care where he is from, idc if he has family issues or was born with mental problems. It's his problem not ours.

giphy.gif

IaUmpCU.png

We'll never stop using them tbh. I can see them being vastly reduced in the future but there will never not be a need for them. 

9OGbi44.png

[X] Natural Born Killers Warlord || [X] Corruption Council || [X] The Titans Member || [X] Ronin Member

Tempest Member

12 hours ago, Clark Kent said:

I am not entirely sure, but recently I was reading about a place where stool was used as an energy source.

Any chance they would take any samples? I could sell my stool for some easy money. 

05TmND6.png

3 hours ago, Buzz said:

We'll never stop using them tbh. I can see them being vastly reduced in the future but there will never not be a need for them. 

this is true tbh, there are so many products made from fossil fuels 

X7hVOuI.png

zd4U5d4.gif

L7S1gha.png