Clients

Adam_

Cheat clients, 3rd party clients, aim bots, whatever you want to call them. Thought i'd make this discussion topic after seeing the topic come up a bit on Eric's topic about what people want to see from Jagex, as well as a post by Lavigne on Steve's AMA, and a few other places. Buckle up because as i'm sure you all know, I have a tendency to type quite a lot.

I'm sure everyone here is at least to some degree familiar with them, knows someone who uses one or, or has seen what some of them do. They do a wide range of things not just in PvP but PvM, skilling, and general game play. They knock a lot of effort off of a majority of tasks in the game and make a lot of things easier, this is quite true even for base runelite, which, is fully compliant with the rules or at least allowed as far as Jagex are concerned. Most jmods play on runelite, and aren't afraid to admit it, a lot of devs have a very good relationship with runelite devs as well. Still, runelite has an open plugin hub which pretty much anyone can contribute to that ultimately results in the capability to make anything easier, as long as it complies with the rules of the game. Anything that Jagex don't want in the client doesn't pass, but a lot of things are added nonetheless, all with the purpose of making things easier in the game. 

That's only the lighter half of it though, as there's a lot of clients out there which offer features that aren't quite allowed. In PvP i'm sure you know someone in another clan who uses one, or perhaps even in this clan. Perhaps you use one yourself. Not everything is detectable at all, especially if it's essentially just an overlay. Some things are detectable, but not as much so as other more prominent or invasive plugins or programs which results in a low probability of you getting caught or punished, meaning largely, people get away with using these with very little risk as long as they don't publicly upload it/stream it (sometimes they get away with it even then.) This also has resulted in people essentially playing with the line of what they are/aren't willing to develop (mostly oprs/private variations of runelite) and include in their client. 

Just a few things that have been included in clients i've seen have been pile / target finders, some even with the ability to highlight the particular person whose having a pile called on them or at bare minimum highlighting the tile underneath them. There's also obviously friend finder which is a bit different but essentially allows you to locate any individual you have added as a friend regardless of whether or not their private is on. There's also other things like freeze timers for both you and your opponent showing when you'll be unfrozen. More detectable things include plugins which allow you to cast spells or use special attacks without going to your spell book or special attack bar, plugins which switch prayers for you (though I imagine this would be a nightmare if you were getting piled by different styles lmfao), plugins that switch gear for you, plugins that eat for you, and plenty more. There are obviously clans that wish to use them for the advantage, some of them not even caring about the risk of the ban due to it being easier than ever to obtain a new account or having alts not being as uncommon as it once was, coupled with what could be called a lower probability of getting banned than other things, largely due to the fact that you probably aren't using it all day or for long periods of time like an actual bot or other scripts, and you likely aren't getting reported while using it either. But there's clearly clans that are quite against using them as well, while i'm not sure if any actually have a policy against doing so, some very clearly look down on it. The main issue is this can put them at a severe competitive disadvantage against those who do use them. 

For those of you who aren't as familiar with PvM or skilling in their current states, I assure you clients are a problem there as well. As someone who isn't really a pker anymore and mostly just pvms, i'm more familiar with the pvm community than most others, but have a fair bit of knowledge of a lot of aspects of the game. PvM is very much riddled with people using clients which do a wide variety of things for them, a lot in end game or more challenging content, most of which Jagex don't allow. A lot of it isn't detectable however and much of it isn't even being looked for it seems. The people who go for record runs essentially are required to use clients with certain plugins that save time on runs in order to remain competitive. I can't name anyone off the top of my head who doesn't use a client that holds or competes for ToB records though I could be missing out on someone as it's not something i've followed for a while. I had a fair amount of friends in this scene, all of them use/used it. A lot of the people i'm friends with even those who don't go for records will use them when they aren't streaming or don't plan to upload anything anywhere. If you look in the records discord for pvm speedruns, almost no tob speedruns will have an actual recording for this reason. CoX is a bit different due to clients not having as big of an effect there. Inferno is somewhere in the middle with some plugins, one in particular which is technically against the rules but not as invasive, being very common to use for those who compete for times, but (in my opinion) not quite as bad as ToB. Clients very briefly disappeared for the most part when jagex announced what was/wasn't allowed, but reappeared shortly thereafter when people realized they could quite easily get around getting caught using most things simply by not recording or streaming it. A lot of people i've talked to say they don't mind using them because the times are possible without the client. This is, in some cases, quite true. However, the clients are consistent time save which obviously makes it much more likely, and there are even cases in which i'd argue they wouldn't be possible. 

Skilling i'm not as familiar with, but it's been problematic there nonetheless. There's been some people banned at very high ranks I believe for using clients and plugins that aren't compliant with Jagex rules, and I often hear about others doing it as well (though to be fair there's a strong chance that some of that is just drama/shit talk floating around due to people not getting along.)

TheTrueNorth released this video last year which provides a good example of how even some less problematic plugins or allowed plugins can make aspects of skilling much easier. There are also some more-bannable ones in there which are in some cases just small changes like menu entry swapper making certain activities left click only and shaving off most time/effort. 

If you think that's something, feel free to check out some of these videos and the rest on the same channel.

Things like the last two videos can be particularly harmful. The hybridding community is already quite dead and things like this only discourage those who remain to bother playing, that or they become encouraged to use clients like this themselves and become part of the problem. Perhaps worst of all, almost nobody new wants to get involved when they see things like this. Why would they? Then look at LMS. The whole point is that it's supposed to be a zero cost, safe death, newer-player friendly method to get into PvP. But what new player is going to go to LMS, fight someone like this and want to keep putting in effort to learn? You could say something like "it's only one guy" but it isn't, there's plenty of people doing shit like this who don't upload it whether it's just a guy running around on a busted client, or even a bot programmed to use the same client and abuse all the plugins to fight legit players (increasingly common in LMS.) This will also plague any future PvP content that is released, just as clients will likely plague any pvm/skilling content. To my knowledge, there's already plugins that basically automate completion of the six jads challenge, which is only a few weeks old. Ultimately clients will always be a problem with any achievement that's added to the game or any new content, whether it's PvP, pvm, skilling, whatever. 

You may think 'half the crap you just mentioned doesn't really matter to me,' because you don't do it or have no plans to do it. I've met many people with the same line of thinking. PvMers who just need stats to get a certain perk that's good for pvming, pvpers who think the same, pvmers/skillers who don't care about cheating in pvp because they think it's just a toxic mess full of cheating anyways, and so on. What people often seemingly fail to realize is that if it's problematic for content they don't enjoy, it can always pretty easily ruin content they do enjoy. I think that's very obvious by the fact that there's very little content ingame that doesn't have op client features making it significantly easier or in some cases even doing it for you, and in the cases where there isn't, it's usually because it isn't worth making. If it's a problem for some of us, it will likely be a problem for all of us. 

A big issue with this is, well, Jagex know there's an issue, but aren't in the best place to address it. They're a business, so they can't really risk doing too much that would upset a majority of the playerbase. They can't really outlaw all clients without doing the same for runelite, especially since people can essentially add whatever they wish to runelite, or make other versions of it. They can't really outlaw runelite due to how many people use it, coupled with the poor state of their own client. They seriously need to update it, but that's easier said than done especially considering the fact that it requires money and investment, which the people who call the shots may not necessarily be willing to pay. Why would they if someone already does it for free? Not to mention they're years behind runelite and other clients, so even with the proper investment and a world where they can work a bit more hands on and not from home due to covid, I imagine it'd take quite a bit to where they'd have something that would be good reason to ban 3rd party clients and expect the playerbase to largely be ok with playing on. When this first became a hot topic/big issue, they did say they wanted to explore options with their own client, this was not long before covid hit, and obviously they have a lot of other projects to be working on which require time and effort, and not everyone at Jagex is a client dev. There's quite a lot back, but nonetheless they do say they want to work on it. I'm inclined to believe them based on what i've seen and heard and the people making the promises, but also what I know of what goes on behind the scenes tells me that they may not get their wish and someone at the top may ultimately make it very difficult for things like this to happen. So basically, I have some degree of hope the jagex client may some day be in a decent state and they could ban third party clients, but I also know there's a chance that will never happen.

Questions for those interested, which i'll also answer.

Do you blame people for using these clients?

Largely, no. I don't care to use them myself and I think it's a bit cringe when people flex things they only accomplish due to using the client, but I don't blame them for using them especially in scenarios where it's almost the norm to do so for a competitive edge, even if I don't quite agree with it. If you're someone running around like in that lms video or hybridding video, I kind of do, even if you're doing it to make a point like the guy in the video. There's really no world in where that's necessary, it's just kind of being a spastic at that point. Same goes for me when it comes to having plugins actually automate actions for you like prayer switching/eating/casting spells, you're kind of an idiot if you use that shit, and I do blame you for using that garbage. 

Do you think Jagex should ban 3rd party clients?

Yes. I do understand the dilemma but I really wish they were banned sooner than later, be it through them just saying enough is enough and ripping off the bandaid, or them getting to a better place where it's more reasonable to do so. It's only going to get worse from how it is not until this is done in my eyes, which will only make the game go downhill.

How do you find these clients effect your game play?

Do you find yourself using or even depending on them? Or are you someone who perhaps finds themselves getting piled or sniped a bit more often than preferable because the opposing clan can highlight you or use friend finder to find where you are, even in a mess of 100+ people, with very little effort? 

Obviously I use runelite as many people do. I certainly find myself depending on some things that are runelite exclusive in certain scenarios. There are things i've turned off in runelite because I don't want to be dependent on them (anti drag being one, which I didn't even know was on by default until someone had told me.) Tile markers for certain activities were quite crucial; zuk safespots and other safespots in the inferno, xarpus safespots and a few other spots in tob, even some tiles in chambers and at other bosses. Tile markers and some other plugins (I believe there's a plugin just for this activity) were quite useful in learning the sepulchre as well, especially floor 5. Another issue being that, I believe, that content was actually tested during development with runelite, so it may even favor runelite users more than those of the base client and some parts of it can prove quite difficult even to skilled players on the vanilla client. I personally don't let it ruin a lot of things for me in the competitive aspect because though I do enjoy grinding a lot of things out, i'm generally a very casual player and don't go for records or anything among those lines, so it doesn't effect me.

What do you think needs to be done to the base client before they ban 3rd party clients? Is it fine now? What features (from runelite or otherwise) do you think would be necessary or close to it if no?

Personally I think tile markers and a few other things like the overlay which shows your current boosted stats (whether you're potted basically), boss timers and a few other things would be great. I'm not sure if any of it would be "necessary" though I think tile markers actually are to an extent because they've become very common in a lot of content and removing them would essentially be not only making the content far less enjoyable, but putting those who hadn't learned it yet at a significant disadvantage. I also don't think there's too many scenarios where i'd consider tile markers busted or too op. There's probably a few other things which are basically qol like showing certain ground items, information about certain items, certain notifications/trackers, but I think I could ultimately do without a fair bit of it as well. 

What do you think are the worst features of 3rd party clients that need to go? What is the most damaging?

I've pretty much covered that above but tl;dr any of the crap that hurts competitive scene by providing a significant advantage and anything that is blatant cheating or automates game actions.

Are you concerned with the J cup coming that clients will have a significant effect on the outcome of certain fights?

Well i'm not in any clan and as a result will not likely be participating in said J cup. That being said I obviously will be looking forward to watching the cup and the fights, and have friends who are in clans that will be fighting. I'd really prefer if fights weren't controlled or ruined by clients, but I think it's likely to happen unless clients are banned by that point or Jagex enforce a vanilla client only rule for participation. I think that will be VERY hard to enforce though. This question is mostly just because i'm curious what people actually in clans think. 

I may have missed something but i've already typed quite a lot so feel free to add/comment anything you feel I missed or didn't touch on.

• Like 1
  • heart 1

bunnyguestsig.png.ccdc0f4d74bc49d76625f95f77126600.png

sig.png.a653e4eb38f8831b6fe065620d30b252.png

underscore.png.983945ced2a331aa1d4ec31de5913c92.png

imkhetnai.png.18510f16e5ac66a3d1aa91c007faa2de.png

lithmigos.png.bb04c57946f75d035b102720bba28d3c.png

vanuckle.png.063402cc210fcc01769876c062581050.png

daveold.png.fe31d53c54985d7c3f7687a5fea5e8c4.png

Ngl all of the 3p clients are far too OP and tbh shouldn't be allowed. But there are certain plugins that make playing the game without them now quite miserable. Plugins like player indicators (just having different colored names when right clicking piles, not using tiles/names above head or anything, idc about that), HP bars when attacking players, having a hiscores on the client, loot tracker, xp trackers, and boosts info/timers etc. I'd say these plugins are pretty QoL and don't impede on the integrity of the game too much. But a lot of plugins do, especially all of the jap ones from OpenOSRS and all the other PvP ones on sketch clients like Exilent etc.

• Like 1

Yeah, and a certain clan to

Makes the game easy as fuck, braindead game.

Do you find yourself using or even depending on them? Or are you someone who perhaps finds themselves getting piled or sniped a bit more often than preferable because the opposing clan can highlight you or use friend finder to find where you are, even in a mess of 100+ people, with very little effort? 

I used them, don't depend on them. 

What do you think needs to be done to the base client before they ban 3rd party clients? Is it fine now? What features (from runelite or otherwise) do you think would be necessary or close to it if no?

In terms of warring, runelite player indicator is good enough. It's alright as is

What do you think are the worst features of 3rd party clients that need to go? What is the most damaging?

Pile finding, etc basically enhanced war feats that were on ORS

Are you concerned with the J cup coming that clients will have a significant effect on the outcome of certain fights?

Yeah, makes it meaningless imo. If it was going to come to this then it would've been best to just go to a private server.

• Like 1

Lol especially after watching those videos. Runelite and stuff I can mostly live with but some of that shit is ridiculous. Kinda kills the fun of the game but then again here I am playing 90% mobile like a noob xd

• Like 1

Not sure if you heard. I was leader of The BlacKnights.

877ed46287d54a0fea10edf2d2defff8.png

iDPoiRL.png

48 minutes ago, stone said:

All of the clients including runelite make the game much easier, if they gonna take out 3 party clients they gotta take out runelite too imo

I cant argue against that lol

Not sure if you heard. I was leader of The BlacKnights.

877ed46287d54a0fea10edf2d2defff8.png

iDPoiRL.png

2 hours ago, Melo C said:

In terms of warring, runelite player indicator is good enough. It's alright as is

IMO player indicators are already extremely OP for finding piles. I'm guilty of using player indicators regularly since last summer, and I wouldn't protest if it's removed. But those clients are something else man. At least with player indicators, the pile isn't literally being found for you... unlike those aimbot clients.

Those clients are unarguably a complete disgrace to warring, and it's unfortunate that clans have to decide whether or not to "level the playing field."

• Like 2

b87f1af6bfaf3ba745de207c6f282c0f.png

if they took out runelite i'd probably just quit tbf

• ned 1

[13:09] <+Jubita> i just don't care where he is from, idc if he has family issues or was born with mental problems. It's his problem not ours.

giphy.gif

IaUmpCU.png

No, people usually are not to blame for resources Jagex allows them to use. Especially in warring you can't really paddle against the tide when every other clan is using all those clients. We've tried to do that and it's absolutely disgusting how human mechanics can't even come close to compete against plugins. So you kinda have to give in so you wont be left behind.

Yes

I dont depend on them but as I said if everybody is using then you certainly cant go otherwise, so they kinda force you into it which sucks. I got back to the game for the nostalgia so it kinda ruins all the fun for me :s 

Agreed with u

The PvP ones for sure. If the whole idea is a player killing another player to decide which one is more skilled then it makes absolutely no sense letting robotic mechanics do the player's job. It's not only unfair but very anticompetitive

I'm not very "concerned" since I'm pretty sure there's nothing we could do but very... indifferent (?). Whoever wins there won't be the same level of joy and achievement from the victories as before, just as whoever loses won't get the same feelings of disappointment and failure. Everything will be blamed on the clients (I dont judge). I feel like everyone will be pushing more and more OP plugins to win the cup which IMO will diminish drastically its value as a real competitive tournament. But just like a good hypocrite I will participate in it anyway lmao

• Like 1

7jmTOjL.png     

No, if it's not bannable and it gives them an advantage why not use it if everyone else is using it?

Yes, would make everything interesting again in the clan world.

Pretty much same performance as regular client.

I don't depend on it no, can do the same thing as I do on regular client but since everyone uses runelite/open I use it too.

Won't happen, they tried it before and reddit pvm nerds went insane

Too much can't really pinpoint 1

It does help but if your clan is shit it still won't matter.

• Like 1

aUBwTQ1.png

GUK0zkS.gif

SwqCHMW.png

Skilling: No because nothing is an achievement in skilling anymore. It doesn't matter to me when some bloke bangs out 99 fletching in a week when there's like 1 million people with it already. When the game was slow to level then getting a 99 was an achievement and then I would of been against people using clients to gain an advantage.

PvP: It is what it is. If you want to take a knife to a gun fight then that's up to you. Ideally no one would use them but there's no chance of that happening so I don't blame people for using them.

PvM: Don't really know enough about this scene to know the kind of advantages plugins give.

Not until they're willing to take some sort of WoW style approach where they let people develop and add plugins. I guess they could make it so these plugins have to be approved. Inconvenient truth is they'd lose at least half their OSRS player base if they banned clients though.

The older you get the more you'll find yourself depending on these things. Some people don't believe that but it'll happen like it or not.

As I said previously they need to take the WoW approach. Provide the client and APIs. Let people develop plugins for it.

Hard for me to say, I don't guess those auto prayer flicking ones are the worst, but people also catch bans for those.

Every clan will have the option to use clients at the jcup. No one is really at a disadvantage because everyone has access to these clients. Of course some clans have better clients than others but as long as they aren't implementing rule breaking plugins then it's just an advantage those clans have due to having better developers.

• Like 1

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

Nope, everyone uses clients for the smallest things to being a complete robot nowadays.

Unless they wanna lose half their player base they can, but I don't think they should.

I personally don't use many client plugins. Only plugins I use are menu entity swapper and tile markers apart from the default Runelite plugins which are already on so it doesn't really affect my gameplay that much.

Add some bare minimum basic runelite features such as:

• Tile markers
  • Menu entity swapper (would be a very nice QoL update)
  • HP display for NPCs
  • EXP trackers

Mostly PvP ones, keep friend finder though I need that

I mean it really is a battle of who has the better clients/more people on the clients when the top clans are all so close to each other in quality

• Like 2

KxIO8xE.png

Tempest Old School

~ Dear You ~

soEu4V0.png

MHlPpb9.png

https://i.imgur.com/jHZcD6h.png

For PvP, no. Why put yourself at a disadvantage going into a fight? Skilling is all personal achievement at this point, so if someone wants to use a client to make their life easier, go ahead. As far as PvM goes, I mostly have the same attitude, with the exception of truly top-tier bosses such as Inferno. However, you can take the same approach as PvP here and say there's no reason for someone to put themself at a disadvantage.

Not until they are ready to commit to creating their own client with better features. You can't even see XP/hour on the vanilla client and the fact is, the player base has become accustomed to many of the QoL additions brought on by clients such as Runelite. You can't easily ban one client without banning all of them.

If you have a tool at your disposal, you will eventually become accustomed to using it. The same would eventually happen if that tool was taken away from you. Certain clans will target based on certain attributes; a smart warrer will figure out how to counter that.

Good XP trackers, tile markers, a better GE, the list goes on. The "problem" of 3rd party clients has gone on for so long now, that client features have expanded far past the base-QoL features that they once provided. I think banning 3rd party clients would feel similar to when they removed free trade/the wilderness as far as player outrage goes.

From a PvP perspective? Left-click cast, tanking scripts, aimbots, hybrid scrips. I would say pile indicators as well, but frankly, they have their limitations and I don't see them as damaging as other people do. PvM-wise, anything that switches prayers/gear for you.

OpenOSRS is a widely-used client with the key features of any warring client. Every clan has access to this and many other clans have access to more-specialized clients. The clan world will always continue to evolve and clans will try everything they can to get an advantage. That's what happened when clans started box-fighting and now it's happening with clients. You either adapt or die.

• Like 1

7UeTgyB.png

award.png.c75c7de1112b9f9037829890f77809d1.png

don't be the third whale

1 hour ago, Howl said:

For PvP, no. Why put yourself at a disadvantage going into a fight? Skilling is all personal achievement at this point, so if someone wants to use a client to make their life easier, go ahead. As far as PvM goes, I mostly have the same attitude, with the exception of truly top-tier bosses such as Inferno. However, you can take the same approach as PvP here and say there's no reason for someone to put themself at a disadvantage.

Not until they are ready to commit to creating their own client with better features. You can't even see XP/hour on the vanilla client and the fact is, the player base has become accustomed to many of the QoL additions brought on by clients such as Runelite. You can't easily ban one client without banning all of them.

If you have a tool at your disposal, you will eventually become accustomed to using it. The same would eventually happen if that tool was taken away from you. Certain clans will target based on certain attributes; a smart warrer will figure out how to counter that.

Good XP trackers, tile markers, a better GE, the list goes on. The "problem" of 3rd party clients has gone on for so long now, that client features have expanded far past the base-QoL features that they once provided. I think banning 3rd party clients would feel similar to when they removed free trade/the wilderness as far as player outrage goes.

From a PvP perspective? Left-click cast, tanking scripts, aimbots, hybrid scrips. I would say pile indicators as well, but frankly, they have their limitations and I don't see them as damaging as other people do. PvM-wise, anything that switches prayers/gear for you.

OpenOSRS is a widely-used client with the key features of any warring client. Every clan has access to this and many other clans have access to more-specialized clients. The clan world will always continue to evolve and clans will try everything they can to get an advantage. That's what happened when clans started box-fighting and now it's happening with clients. You either adapt or die.

Agreed with Howl here. Thank you for writing this for me

• Haha 1

Spoiler

JlotNFB.gif

IEJv51q.gif

bestperstmember.png

friendliestmember.png

hwW0HvN.png

6TnAgyg.png

No, because it's understandable people would want to be equal with anyone else. But if you're using them as a crutch then you fucking suck because you can war fine on the default OSRS client and I've been doing so for years lol, somehow even OSRS players aren't immune to forgetting how to open their eyes. Unless you're Brian and you're like 50 or pt37 and you're like 70, in which case ye, when kids start calling me grandad I'd probably need a client to counter my reactions by then too lol.

Their own client should take more notes from what the other clients have to offer and develop based on it. It's pretty clear they felt a lot of runelite stuff was legal, so why not just steal their ideas and make it increasingly more attractive to play vanilla. This way they can ban all the other clients and people still won't lose much. Imagine having to actually play the game. 

The last one I used were Konduit/early Runelite and a modified Exilent (SV client). Back when it was just a couple of really nice overlays but you still had to open your eyes (then again I also disabled a lot of overlays that I felt were just outright cheating). And yeah I can tell pretty obviously when I'm being client piled or sniped over and over, makes the game really unenjoyable to play ngl because before half the skill was in hiding yourself and your robes but this is now irrelevant.

Covered already.

Overlays and automation that literally tell you what to do or play the game for you. The style detect thing in PVP is also fucking cancerous.

Yep. Especially since I will likely be back in Korea by then so even if I lay down my prejudice for one fight, I can't use those clients in Korea because well, it's illegal lol and getting the standard OSRS client to cache is hard enough. 

Edited by Lavigne
  • Like 1
  • heart 1

oha1HPn.png

5nPWTc4.png

image.png.98e814b7804dc8ab9c1af32bc23ac648.png

Grand Miracle Wizard of the Far-Right Sea Templar's Party | Bringing racism back into RS clanning since 2023.

l4u0tPk.png

spacer.png

RSN: Knight Frank

Leader of REIGN community since 2004 - Undisputably the best gaming community in history.

An absolute shitload of rank ones/top10 rankings in multiple games. Now too busy.

https://www.twitch.tv/Toffee_Latte