European Super League

Brian

Good explainer here:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/19/explainer-how-will-the-new-european-super-league-work

Doesn't look like the clubs are going to back down from this but I think the leagues will, no way the PL will kick the likes of Utd, Liverpool, etc out.

I can somewhat understand clubs not wanting to play chitter Romanian teams in the CL but on the other hand the thing that makes say United vs Real so special is how infrequent it is. If it's a yearly thing it's not gonna be as good.

• pepesus 1

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

Disgraceful change. Domestic leagues will be meaningless regardless of whether the likes of United, Liverpool, Chelsea etc are in it or not. A level playing field will no longer exist with the rest of the league due to the funds they'll receive due to being part of the ESL and the domestic league will become less important than the ESL which should never be the case.

Also not sure why Arsenal and Tottenham are included?

• Like 1

giphy.gif

UCRfdoD.png

tX2cpQ2.png

spacer.pngspacer.png70b696a3da.gifspacer.pngspacer.png

HwzhImT.gif

The men in suits take away parliament sports and only days later we have this shit announced, if you think this is a coincidence you need to open your eyes!!!

This seems like a terrible idea to me, its the definition of the big clubs flexing their status to get richer and protecting themselves from the risks and rewards of the relegation system. Also one of the more blatant cash grabs I can remember seeing in sports lol

• Haha 2

am9lyUI.jpg

jR2KODn.png

image.png

mYDO4EM.png

image.png.73b47520764ae9a63c2df2f3bba2b0fb.png

Going to ruin the best part about soccer (football) - the underdogs and cinderella stories. Not to mention the number of small clubs whose revenue is going to hurt and it could ultimately kill them.

Given the overwhelming movement against it and UEFA's statement, I think we might see the clubs back down. Although, it might take the fans really joining together to stop financially supporting the club for that to happen.

7UeTgyB.png

award.png.c75c7de1112b9f9037829890f77809d1.png

don't be the third whale

hate it

FIFA threatening not allowing National Teams bring players from teams in the ESL, what impact could this have? Do you think players would leave those teams to keep playing for their NT?

Edited by Lemaster

4 minutes ago, Lemaster said:

FIFA threatening not allowing National Teams bring players from teams in the ESL, what impact could this have? Do you think players would leave those teams to keep playing for their NT?

Can they really do this? I mean from a legal and sporting point of view. End of the day I think a lot of players would end up picking money > playing for their national team. It would ruin the spectacle of the WC and Euros. No big players = no TV viewership = no big sponsorship deals.

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

7 minutes ago, Lemaster said:

hate it

While I really hope it doesn't come to this, it would be fascinating to see who leaves the team to play for their national team versus who chooses to continue playing for their club

as @Brian said though, I have no idea what would be legally enforceable right now

am9lyUI.jpg

jR2KODn.png

image.png

mYDO4EM.png

image.png.73b47520764ae9a63c2df2f3bba2b0fb.png

chit sport

oha1HPn.png

5nPWTc4.png

image.png.98e814b7804dc8ab9c1af32bc23ac648.png

Grand Miracle Wizard of the Far-Right Sea Templar's Party | Bringing racism back into RS clanning since 2023.

l4u0tPk.png

spacer.png

RSN: Knight Frank

Leader of REIGN community since 2004 - Undisputably the best gaming community in history.

An absolute shitload of rank ones/top10 rankings in multiple games. Now too busy.

https://www.twitch.tv/Toffee_Latte

No way domestic leagues kick attending teams out, they would lose so much money doing so. Also, fifa/uefa wont do shit with their threats, imagine world cup without super stars lol. ESL and fifa/uefa prob just negotiate better deal for teams in cl/uel.