Yoto32- AMA

Yoto32

16 hours ago, true said:

Do you view any clan forums?

Thoughts on EOS?

What non-staff RSC users do you feel like could have been great staff?

1. Not regular. Just this one if True pesters me enough about it.

2. Just remember them as a more serious version of Adelais. 

3. Any non-staff RSC users we felt had potential were made into staff. We would put people in the Great Hall first to see if they could stay active on their own, and to get them involved in the behind-the-scenes discussion to get acclimated as to how things worked. I will say that throughout the years His Lordship was consistently brought up as a potential staff member but was always denied because we felt he would be more interested in grandstanding than modding.

14 hours ago, Adam_ said:

As staff did you ever find members of certain clans or even ranks making threats for one reason another (moderating them too hard / not moderating competition / not granting them special privileges/whatever)? If yea who and why?

How did you catch robinhoodrs leaking IPs? 

1. RoT was always the worst/best at pestering mods to get favorable rulings. Can't remember any specific names unfortunately.

2. I was not involved with how they caught robinhoodrs, that was before my time. I just know that's why he was banned.

12 hours ago, Wee Man said:

What happened with Aragon? I remember him getting demoted/removed or whatever but I don't think we ever got a proper explanation of what happened. I can only assume he got on the wrong persons nerves lmao.

You should join Tempest, super laid back so you can still play your iron. :amusing:

I'm not too sure myself but IIRC he was promoted to Smod for non-CD purposes with the express condition that his rank status did not transfer over to CD (i.e. he was not part of the CD hierarchy). I'm pretty sure he crossed Molson one too many times.

1. Don't tempt me Hug Jugs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Flukejiver said:

Who was the best forum mod you’ve ever worked with?

Is there anyone you wish you would have made a mod?

1. Jaacco was by far and away the best moderator I worked with. Always level headed and fair, great interpersonal skills. Was glad he was made King.

2. Applerune would have made a great moderator 

2 hours ago, Amulet said:

What were your inital thoughts on Zybez closing? 

Lot of mixed emotions, it was a board I had basically spent my formative teenage years on and where I socialized. It was because of that board that I got into the career I'm in now. It was always my "old stomping ground" where I could go back to. But at the same time it was a dying board, nowhere near the activity it had in its heyday. Every day I would log on and there'd be like four or five people on and no new posts for me to browse or answer back. And it was probably time for me to move on from the board anyways. So bittersweet I suppose.

39 minutes ago, true said:

Thoughts on Sals?

They had a clan board???

• Like 1

What are some additional clan sections/sub forums you think CD should have had?

What were the most useless subforums?

How often were you tempted to break Zybez rules youself?

aUBwTQ1.png

19 hours ago, Yoto32 said:

Applerune was another one I thought had great potential but fizzled out for whatever reason. 

Being a staff member was WAY too political for me, and this is coming from someone who handled almost all of the behind the scenes political clanning type stuff for COR. I am very much a relationship person and really enjoyed getting to know people but the people at RSC were only ever out for themselves. I was never the type of clan official to "hate" other clans or people in the game and I was never a big fan of RSC in general. I tried to get along and build relationships with everyone no matter their clan, past actions, etc. This irked a lot of people in COR, but this was one value I would not budge on. 

I was mod of the recruiting forum IIRC. At one point I did make a concerted effort to post meaningfully and with intention because I felt RSC (and really, the clan world in general) needed that. Once I was given a small role I realized there weren't many people like that in the community so I stopped caring. I also never wanted to give the impression to people in COR that I cared about RSC more than the clan, something I felt other clan members and officials did regularly. I also didn't want to weaponize any sort of standing I could gain with RSC if I continued to do the work like I felt others did. 

Never thought I'd be mentioned here - thanks for doing the AMA!

Edit: the above reasons are probably what gave you the inclination that I'd be a good moderator - I was similar to Jaacco in that regard. A little more outgoing than him for sure, but similar in values.

Edited by Applerune

2 hours ago, true said:

What are some additional clan sections/sub forums you think CD should have had?

What were the most useless subforums?

How often were you tempted to break Zybez rules youself?

1. Shitposting meme board.

2. The UN. Honestly it was just a board so clan leaders could feel good about themselves.

3. Honestly never, which was my problem. I'm the sort of guy who always believes in following the rules and I have trouble recognizing when the rules don't lead to justice.

1 hour ago, true said:

Do you miss being a main? 

Hell no. My time as an iron has been the most fun I've had on Runescape in my whole life - including the 08 gwd trips. Every item in my bank I earned myself and I have a sense of accomplishment about it. Every item upgrade is a huge boost, and the game mode forces you play content you wouldn't otherwise have. Right now I'm grinding out the KQ cause I need a dragon chainbody for a master clue - no way I would be killing the boss for any other reason. Although it helps that I was spooned as hell on this account 😛

Edited by Yoto32

2 hours ago, Applerune said:

Being a staff member was WAY too political for me, and this is coming from someone who handled almost all of the behind the scenes political clanning type stuff for COR. I am very much a relationship person and really enjoyed getting to know people but the people at RSC were only ever out for themselves. I was never the type of clan official to "hate" other clans or people in the game and I was never a big fan of RSC in general. I tried to get along and build relationships with everyone no matter their clan, past actions, etc. This irked a lot of people in COR, but this was one value I would not budge on. 

I was mod of the recruiting forum IIRC. At one point I did make a concerted effort to post meaningfully and with intention because I felt RSC (and really, the clan world in general) needed that. Once I was given a small role I realized there weren't many people like that in the community so I stopped caring. I also never wanted to give the impression to people in COR that I cared about RSC more than the clan, something I felt other clan members and officials did regularly. I also didn't want to weaponize any sort of standing I could gain with RSC if I continued to do the work like I felt others did. 

Never thought I'd be mentioned here - thanks for doing the AMA!

Edit: the above reasons are probably what gave you the inclination that I'd be a good moderator - I was similar to Jaacco in that regard. A little more outgoing than him for sure, but similar in values.

Often the best leaders are the ones that don't want the position 😉  But you made the decision that was best for you and I respect that.

Edited by Yoto32
  • Like 1

There's been several attempts at creating other hotspots for rs pvp clan discussion over the years. The pures had two such sites such as Pure WarFare, and later Sharkbrew which they currently use now(which is also the main hotspot for clans currently if you're going to post on a site). 

What are your thoughts on those sites, along with other sites such as Tip.it and Sal's clan discussion forums?

Also, currently some former clan mates of mine have created a discord called Hub for PvP clans. It's mainly for shit posting and flaming, but it also provides channels that auto-update with clan videos, twitter updates and clan fight topics. What do you think of this idea? Do you have any suggestions or advice you'd offer them?

nraLl5G.gif

pleasework.gif

Spoiler

fWDZKUX.pngv629BYZ.gif

2OJwmTS.gif

29 minutes ago, true said:

What were your thoughts on @Lego?

Honestly never really interacted with the guy all that much to form an opinion of him. He was a little before my time on the RSC boards.

28 minutes ago, Flukejiver said:

What were Weeman's strengths and weaknesses as a mod?

WM's greatest strength as an admin was that he was actively engaged in the clan world and very knowledgeable about it, which was something that was always sorely lacking in the admin position (see: myself). His biggest weakness I'd say is... public relations.

27 minutes ago, Flukejiver said:

Would you ever consider clanning again?

Yea a number of times, but when I'm ready to be able to commit.

What RSC staff needed their ass kicked?

Thoughts on Scoobyninja? He was a non-clan world homie I met via RSC and he was cool as shit.

What is the worst case of sucking up for promotion?

Thoughts on Molson?

aUBwTQ1.png

1 hour ago, Ace said:

There's been several attempts at creating other hotspots for rs pvp clan discussion over the years. The pures had two such sites such as Pure WarFare, and later Sharkbrew which they currently use now(which is also the main hotspot for clans currently if you're going to post on a site). 

What are your thoughts on those sites, along with other sites such as Tip.it and Sal's clan discussion forums?

Also, currently some former clan mates of mine have created a discord called Hub for PvP clans. It's mainly for shit posting and flaming, but it also provides channels that auto-update with clan videos, twitter updates and clan fight topics. What do you think of this idea? Do you have any suggestions or advice you'd offer them?

1. Tip.it was a good example of why unbiased moderating is so important: they lost the trust of the clan community early on because of biased moderation and never could earn that reputation back. As much as people liked to complain about it, I really believe that RSC's moderators were fair and unbiased (with some notable exceptions that slipped through the cracks). We took biased mod allegations seriously and I think it showed.

2. Sounds like a great idea to me! Discord is a very popular platform for gamers. My advice would be this: be sure to draw strict boundaries between which channels are alright for shitposting and flaming, have an absolutely zero tolerance policy on irl insults, and to be absolutely sure to have unbiased moderators. There needs to be a vetting process for the people you promote and their actions should be reviewed. Often it's a good idea to give someone a little bit of power and see how they handle it. There will always be people looking out for a power trip of some sort or to feel special, even on something as minor as an OSRS clan shitpost server. Oh and that politics and gaming will always be a mess.

Edited by Yoto32
  • Thanks 1