I am Ghjjf - Ask me anything

Brian

1 hour ago, Adam_ said:

Ever have someone confuse you with b289 ? (Though I know his name isn't actually brian)

Just once when my RSN was "B r ian" and I pmed someone I hadn't talked to in years and they thought I was B289 for a bit lol

• Like 1

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

1 hour ago, Embraceanger said:

How enjoyable on a scale of 1-10 was being linked to a BBC?

How did you feel initially about the ladder being replaced by a lever at MB?

I always loved seeing people get done so I'll say 8

Ah yes I was trying to remember earlier in the AMA what changed at MB in the early days of RS2 that was controversial and it was the ladder being replaced with the lever. Hugging the ladder was considered NH if I remember right. Overall it didn't really change much because TBing wasn't that common until later years. I think people were happy when it changed though cause you could still get an extra hit in while people were levering.

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

1 hour ago, Embraceanger said:

Did the release of World of Warcraft/its expansions have a noticeable effect on DI? 

How long did you play World of Warcraft for, and how far did you get within the game? Any interest in still trying it today?

TBC had a noticeable impact on us. I believe several members ended up quitting for it.  WOTLK less so. The thing is these people always came back.

I basically played since just before the release of TBC until 2010ish. Then sporadically over the years. I didn't try Shadowlands. I played classic pretty hard for like 3 months then quit. I may try TBC classic at some stage but I'm not interested in end game and never have been. Just casual leveling really.

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

Do you think any of the guys who were great pkers back in the day at MB would be any decent today, given time to learn the meta? The only names I can really remember being good were Slashiroth and H A 12 D, and I could be wrong about them being good. MB pking was simpler and slower paced, I just know I could never compete with the 16-way switch tribrid pking today.

35 minutes ago, Echliurn said:

How do you think things would have been if you didn't have Ekaggen around, I know you had alot of tech skills but Eric always seemed another level?  I've seen you say before you'd just log in and he'd have exploited another clan and you ran with it etc, can you imagine you'd have taught yourself to do that or was it him being there that lead DI down that route

Did he have many of his skills when he was with Devils against DI at the time and did they use them before he was DI?

I definitely learned a lot from him. At the start he was way ahead of me. In certain aspects I caught up with him because of what I learned from him. If he hadn't been around I probably would have learned some of the stuff myself eventually but definitely not as quickly. I'm not sure I would have gone down the route of exploiting other clan forums if he hadn't been around. He was pretty deep into that scene and I never really looked into it at all.

He had a lot of skills before he was in DI, but he was also only 16 when he joined DI so he was learning a lot at the time too. He used do some sus shit before DI with other clan forums.

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

17 minutes ago, Ssj said:

A formal dinner party with 5 ppl from anyone you've ever clanned with- who you choosing?

Mad respect to you as a person and what you've achieved in clanning, and what you've given to the clan world, at the very least off history alone.

Ekaggen

dkm-

Oergg

Foyboy

Tomisme

Simply because these were the people I worked most with over the years

• sus 1

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

4 minutes ago, Embraceanger said:

Do you think any of the guys who were great pkers back in the day at MB would be any decent today, given time to learn the meta? The only names I can really remember being good were Slashiroth and H A 12 D, and I could be wrong about them being good. MB pking was simpler and slower paced, I just know I could never compete with the 16-way switch tribrid pking today.

Interesting question. It's hard to know how good these guys actually were. Obviously at the time they were good, some very good, but as you say it was a lot slower paced back then. Probably purely because of age some of these guys couldn't compete now, but if you ignore that factor then I'd say the likes of Slash, H A 12 D, Dante would be good because they proved to be good at other games and RS wasn't just a one off.

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

DI was (or seemed to be) realistically a one-man show with you at the helm throughout its lifespan. Naturally it would make sense that you burned out twice, taking DI with you both times to the surprise of its members. You say that a lot of others helped run the clan, and that they made a great leadership team to have by your side.

Why didn't you delegate more to those around you when you started to feel the weight of responsibility?

What functions exactly did roles like Advisor and Council actually serve?

What did they do for the day-to-day of DI to help you?

In OSRS DI it mainly always felt like Council did absolutely nothing, but I assume what they did was behind closed doors. Advisor seemed to be a step up from that, but it was still obvious that you were the Leader and you were the final stop for anything and everything.

1 minute ago, Embraceanger said:

DI was (or seemed to be) realistically a one-man show with you at the helm throughout its lifespan. Naturally it would make sense that you burned out twice, taking DI with you both times to the surprise of its members. You say that a lot of others helped run the clan, and that they made a great leadership team to have by your side.

Why didn't you delegate more to those around you when you started to feel the weight of responsibility?

What functions exactly did roles like Advisor and Council actually serve?

What did they do for the day-to-day of DI to help you?

In OSRS DI it mainly always felt like Council did absolutely nothing, but I assume what they did was behind closed doors. Advisor seemed to be a step up from that, but it was still obvious that you were the Leader and you were the final stop for anything and everything.

I think a lot of this goes back to my early experiences of leadership. Realistically in the early days and probably into 05, people got promoted on name and not merit. There was a lot of big names around back then still and a lot of those got promoted. That basically led to a lot of people not doing their job or not doing anything. That led to me doing everything myself. I always felt after that, that if you want a job done well you do it yourself. In the RS2 era the clan just seemed to function best that way. Whenever I wasn't there things seemed to go badly. So I just stuck with that approach until the end.

I'd say I delegated more in the OSRS era for sure, so I don't think a lack of delegation led to me being burned out, but more so having to be on top of everything all the time, even if I didn't have a direct hand in it.

Assuming you're referring to when you were in the clan in the OSRS era, advisor was pretty much what it said on the tin, basically to discuss and offer advice on everything. I'd say council was at the time serving as a trial for advisor. The thing that happened here though is all our advisors retired etc before anyone bar Olde was ready to move up, which he did. You have to remember that by the time Foyboy quit, he was the last old/original DI left in the rank team. It's not that I didn't trust others, but these were people I'd worked with for probably about a year or two at that stage, vs the original people I'd worked with for years and years. I think in any clan there's always going to be people you're more comfortable with telling certain stuff rather than others, regardless of their rank.

I never really set out roles for people, it was more do what you're good at and do it well. If you see a gap and think there's something you can do then do it. For example Ashley was good with dealing with applicants so we let her do that. I'd agree though it "seemed" like people did nothing because a lot of stuff was behind the scenes. That's the way I like to operate myself and a lot of that probably wore off on other people. Towards the end our rank team was actually very small because there wasn't a lot to do. I never liked being rank heavy.

47Lv3y8.png

aBz8ar2.png

What was the deal with Dkm-, was it like Bibbleboy where Karl put on this "Internet persona" and when he retired basically admitted he's just a nice guy that lived up role-playing a cunt or was Jason legit just that angry and didn't give a shit?

I loved the guy don't get me wrong but he proper lived that angry flaming pker stereotype, he seemed to just vanish too, but yeah, was that just him as a person or did he just play the aggressive cunt?  Did you get contact with him again after he went awol?

Do you think people like Karl, Jason, Slicer, Zmyth, hell even guys like Sim0n and killerconvic etc survived better back in the day with how they flamed and talked shit because there was less doxing and more anonymity with the Internet?  I'd even put you in that question because you had that "feared" vibe behind you with the original DI.  Clans didn't really get personal until the later years but I do wonder if that would have shaped the attitude pkers and especially Old DI (can't deny DI wasn't known for shit talking) had?