AMA - Mat K

Mat K

Hi there, I’m curious about the leadership takeover when you left Maxed clan and hopefully you can confirm what I’ve heard on how the next leader get the role? I heard people asked you at runefest about assigning a new leader but you didn’t realise you were still set to leader of the clan at the time. 
Also wonder what your goals/aims for the clan were beyond just a place for high levelled members of the community?  

I first started playing on the same homeworld as your clan SD.

I didn't realise back then but I ended up joining FoM. I've been in a few clans with Claire however. 

It's nice to see you still interacting with fellow players & clans. My questions are:

What interested you at first in joining Jagex?

Do you miss working at Jagex?

Would you recommend Jagex to someone looking to work in the industry & how difficult is it to get a job there?

Were you part of the Community Management/PMod team before working with clans and OSRS? If so what was your favourite role and why?

What are you up too these days?

Are there any other games you play outside RS?

3 hours ago, Mat K said:

I think they are an essential part of the future of OSRS. I spent a lot of time in clans back in 04-08 and I know the importance of them when it comes to group content and there is an obvious drive to encourage group content in OSRS right now.

This is frustrating and encouraging to hear at the same time. 

While I agree with your statement wholeheartedly, it appears that there is almost no motivation from the OSRS Development Team in regards to enhancing the Player Vs. Player experience. The Player Vs. Monster aspect of the game has been bolstered time and time again, almost back to back, with rather consistent effort being devoted to multi-man bosses, raids development and improvements, etc. while there has been almost no support for this community.

Your involvement in our scene has been extraordinarily valuable to all of us over the years, and I’ve thanked you personally countless times for your efforts.

What I want to know is, do you feel there has been a failure on Jagex’s part to provide sufficient support and suggestions to help improve the PvP dynamic of the game, and if so, what could have been done better? Do you think we’ll ever see any sort of direct 1st party/in-game support for clans? I would also love to hear any ideas you have had in this area as well.

Edited by Victoria

V8OsPdP.png

l4DV57N.png

Y6Bo23z.gif

Why did you authorize the banning of AHK when things like osbuddy and runelite are still allowed? AHK offers much less of an advantage than those cheat clients and made the game playable for people with chronic wrist pain such as myself. Although the game has made improvements to compensate for its banning, it's still not the same, and I never found your post about it to be an adequate explanation other than just pandering to the people who didn't understand it and complained about it.

You are a legend Mat, thanks for doing this  ?

Any cool stories of players doing things they shouldn't or getting to places they weren't meant to be that the community hasn't heard about over the years? 

Ever been recognised in the streets by players outside of runefest and stuff? If so does it bother you or has it been a positive thing for you?

Apart from the removal of the Wilderness, the Grand Exchange and EoC, what would you say was the most game changing update to the game before Rs3?

At2mSMF.png

nullstikesembryo-1_zps311362a1.png.b94ebbd3311d846a500301cc93b42c78.png

spacer.png

Mat K, What an absolute staple of the Clan Community you've been!

1. What drove you to be such an integral part of the clan community and constantly back clans to your bosses?

2. How difficult was it to keep that integrity throughout your time at Jagex?

3. What was one time you felt you failed the clan community despite your best efforts to help?

12 hours ago, Matt Robbin said:

I recently made a comeback to OSRS during the pandemic. I was shocked to see that you were no longer with Jagex.

What was the deciding factor in you parting ways with Jagex?

Do you still work in the gaming industry?

How was working with Jagex unique compared to the rest of the industry in your opinion?

The main reason I left was because after working 15 years in one place I was getting bored and disillusioned. When that starts happening both parties start not getting on and the best thing for everyone is to part ways.

I work for a deep tech start up helping them to productise some cloud scaling technology. One of the use cases (and the reason I was bought in) is in gaming, we're currently working with partners on some of the highest profile games in the world.

I think every company in the gaming industry is unique. The industry is relatively new and with the boom over the last 10 years or so it is still finding its feet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Rclav said:

Have you ever been in a RuneScape clan?

Yes, I used to run a clan with my wife called Sleeping Dragons, I have also been in Gladz, Jaguars and a few lesser known ones.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, True 2k8 said:

Thoughts on RS3 as a game?

It's not my type of game, looks too cartoony for me. It is also very confusing to understand when you look at it. I logged in a few months ago and had no idea what was going on. However, we must not forget that RS3 is where we all started and there are millions of people of still love it.

• Like 1